Re: FT897D. Working Contest VHF

  • tomvanderpool
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
      I, too, find this an odd setting and was reading the manual on it a
      bit more just yesterday. Turns out that when you have it set on RF
      Gain it does an AUTOMATIC squelch setting on FM. <g> One of those
      added for clarity paragraphs that I had to read several times to get
      the gist of it.

      Now, is the auto setting on FM just right for you? That's a whole
      'nother kettle of fish. <g> In experimenting with it yesterday, did
      seem to be better than changing menu item back and forth. Not perfect,
      but works ok most of the time.

      Bottom line, set on RF Gain and give it a try - you won't have any
      squelch adjustment on FM but most of the time, it will be quieted.

      Tom
      KD0BNT

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "peterei4hx" <ei4hxperimental@...> wrote:

      > Hi All
      > Ì have my 897D for some time now, and works great as a base station on
      > all modes I have tried..I may have missed it in the manual, but, for
      > example if I am working all modes in a VHF contest, I find I must
      > change menue settings Squelch/RF Gain, to work a station on both
      > FM/SSB. This is the only radio I have worked with this "flaw" is there
      > any Menue change I can do to link Squelsh to FM, and SSB to RF gain to
      > run on auto....regards to all ,, de Peter EI4HX _._
      >
      > ====

    • Steve Yates
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
        Just remember that when having the SQL/RF control set as the RF Gain
        control and using automatic squelch on FM to turn the knob fully
        clockwise or weak signals will be attenuated. When on FM the S-meter
        doesn't rise when the RF Gain is turned counter clockwise as it does in
        other modes so it is easy to forget that it may be turned back - you
        just won't hear as good.

        73,
        Steve - AA5TB
      • Dan Evans
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
          I leave mine set to squelch.

          The RF gain defaults to max when set to squelch. Here in the Midwest
          "void" I don't need to back off the RF gain as most of the stations are
          100+ miles away...

          73
          Dan
          --