FT897D. Working Contest VHF

  • peterei4hx
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2008
      Hi All
      Ì have my 897D for some time now, and works great as a base station on
      all modes I have tried..I may have missed it in the manual, but, for
      example if I am working all modes in a VHF contest, I find I must
      change menue settings Squelch/RF Gain, to work a station on both
      FM/SSB. This is the only radio I have worked with this "flaw" is there
      any Menue change I can do to link Squelsh to FM, and SSB to RF gain to
      run on auto....regards to all ,, de Peter EI4HX _._

      ====
    • tomvanderpool
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
        I, too, find this an odd setting and was reading the manual on it a
        bit more just yesterday. Turns out that when you have it set on RF
        Gain it does an AUTOMATIC squelch setting on FM. <g> One of those
        added for clarity paragraphs that I had to read several times to get
        the gist of it.

        Now, is the auto setting on FM just right for you? That's a whole
        'nother kettle of fish. <g> In experimenting with it yesterday, did
        seem to be better than changing menu item back and forth. Not perfect,
        but works ok most of the time.

        Bottom line, set on RF Gain and give it a try - you won't have any
        squelch adjustment on FM but most of the time, it will be quieted.

        Tom
        KD0BNT

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "peterei4hx" <ei4hxperimental@...> wrote:

        > Hi All
        > Ì have my 897D for some time now, and works great as a base station on
        > all modes I have tried..I may have missed it in the manual, but, for
        > example if I am working all modes in a VHF contest, I find I must
        > change menue settings Squelch/RF Gain, to work a station on both
        > FM/SSB. This is the only radio I have worked with this "flaw" is there
        > any Menue change I can do to link Squelsh to FM, and SSB to RF gain to
        > run on auto....regards to all ,, de Peter EI4HX _._
        >
        > ====

      • Steve Yates
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
          Just remember that when having the SQL/RF control set as the RF Gain
          control and using automatic squelch on FM to turn the knob fully
          clockwise or weak signals will be attenuated. When on FM the S-meter
          doesn't rise when the RF Gain is turned counter clockwise as it does in
          other modes so it is easy to forget that it may be turned back - you
          just won't hear as good.

          73,
          Steve - AA5TB
        • Dan Evans
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
            I leave mine set to squelch.

            The RF gain defaults to max when set to squelch. Here in the Midwest
            "void" I don't need to back off the RF gain as most of the stations are
            100+ miles away...

            73
            Dan
            --