Re: [FT897] Re: psk31

  • mark breslin
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 4, 2008
      ok thanks im not sure what you mean by rascal though,

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 4, 2008
        get an old PS2 mouse, and your 897 manual -- ohm out the cable and add 2 plugs to the end for the 1200 baud data out and the data in lines -- carefully clip the pin for the PTT line out of the PS2 connector -- set the 897 for digital vox mode at low level -- 10 or 20 -- turn PC volume down to zero and turn on the radio... slowly raise the volume until the rig keys up (it may key on and off repeatedly) then turn it down until it stops keying, then just a little more.. no expensive fancy boxes with serial ports to key the radio needed :) I use a USB sound device to keep the radio audio seperate from the PC audio so the rig doesnt key up every time windows goes BEEP :)

        You may need to trim some plastic off around the end of the mini-din connector to get it to fully seat into the radio -- depends on the mouse cable -- your milage may vary :)

        The rascal and other boxes like it do 2 things for you -- let you adjust the audio levels, and give you a serial port interface to key the radio. Windows lets you control the volume for both RX and TX, so you dont need the 1st feature, and the 897 has vox for digital so you dont need the 2nd.. all it takes is the audio cable.

        ok thanks im not sure what you mean by rascal though,

        You need a packet cable from the DATA port on
        897 to PC. Easiest thing is to get a RASCAL.
        Be sure to set radio to 'digi' mode.

        The CAT can then "control" 897 for HRD .. and you
        can set up HRD's DM780 to PTT from Data port.

        Good luck!

        Bill W1WAB
        the--- In FT897@yahoogroups. com, mark breslin <mac.2e0zmb@ ...> wrote:

        > ok alex thanks for the info i guess the easyest way is to use the
        speaker jack on the rig to the sound card as im not the best at
        reading technical drawings and making things cheers

      • Bill Barron
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 4, 2008
          Rascal a device with transformers sold by BUXCOMM.
          Protects rig vs. straight mic/speaker connections.

          See http://www.buxcomm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2
          This is the cheapest solution.

          Bill W1WAB.

        • George
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 5, 2008
            He is talking about a Rascal interface from Buxcomm.com. Here is the
            web page for the 857/897 model:

            http://www.buxcomm.com/catalog/index.php?
            main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=143

            George Madline
            kc0woa

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, mark breslin <mac.2e0zmb@...> wrote:

            > ok thanks im not sure what you mean by rascal though,

          • KC2UPE
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 13, 2010
              is all i need to do this mode is a data cord and a cat cord with the proper software?
            • RicardoH
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 15, 2010
                The CAT cord is not mandatory, the data cord and the software are.

                Ric kj6doy
                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "KC2UPE" <TUGBOAT001@...> wrote:

                > is all i need to do this mode is a data cord and a cat cord with the proper software?

              • Danny Loyd
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 15, 2010
                  I run directly from the radio data jack to the PC soundcard right now with pretty good results. Have not made the Signalink investment yet.

                  Danny
                  KE5WDI