Re: [FT897] Re: Screwdriver and Controller

  • scott martin
    Message 1 of 27 , May 31, 2008
      I have a ATAS-120A for sale, if your interested.

      Larry Miller <nr3r15@...> wrote: yes it has a built in meter which is switchable to read swr, power, mod, or alc.

      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008
        There are several schools of thought (chevy vs ford vs whatever). I am partial to the Tarheel. I have a model 400. This is a big antenna (10 feet tall), but it works well on 160 through 10 meters. The internal SWR meter works well. There is a jack on the bottom of the faceplate of the rig for an external meter which has been written up as working with a 0 to 15 volt dc meter. The controllers are several. I had problems with the Ameritron (it smoked and caused other problems). High Sierra, HI-Q, and several other folks make the screwdriver type of antenna and all have their fans and detractors. I use my 897D for fixed and portable operation and the 857D for mobile. Listen around on the air for what people's thoughts are on the various antennas and see what suits your needs the best. You know the old 'actual mileage may vary ...'. I hope that this helps. Happy hamming!

      • Lee Mairs (SAG)
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 25, 2008
          I've got my FT-897 with me on vacation and just noticed that the Clarifier
          Knob has been sheared off the front panel. I assume this means a new pot
          and a new knob. Can anybody point me to the correct part numbers so I can
          get them sent by Yaesu/Vertex and have them waiting for me when I get back
          to WV? Also the phone number for Yaesu would help out,

          Needless to say, I don't have nayof my manuals with me....

          73 de Lee
          KM4YY/8
        • N4CQR
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 25, 2008
            I look forward to the replies on this. I was under the impression that this is a optical encoder rather than a resistance based pot.

            Craig
            SWL WA4128SWL
            ARS N4CQR
            Grundig Satellit 750 Group:

          • af6cm_yahoo@myfastmail.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 25, 2008
              Hi Lee,

              You can call Yaesu at 714-827-7600, and order the parts from them.
              I'm sure they will know what the part number is.

              73,
              Rob
              AF6CM

              On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:36:49 -0400, "Lee Mairs (SAG)"
              <lmairs@...> said:
              > I've got my FT-897 with me on vacation and just noticed that the
              > Clarifier
              > Knob has been sheared off the front panel. I assume this means a new pot
              > and a new knob. Can anybody point me to the correct part numbers so I
              > can
              > get them sent by Yaesu/Vertex and have them waiting for me when I get
              > back
              > to WV? Also the phone number for Yaesu would help out,
              >
              > Needless to say, I don't have nayof my manuals with me....
              >
              > 73 de Lee
              > KM4YY/8
            • K9ZTV
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 25, 2008
                The clarifier knob is the achilles heel with this rig, and should be
                treated with more than usual TLC.

                Best bet is to contact the dealer you bought it from and have him order
                the part for you. It'll be quicker, plus he'll know the right part
                number to use.

                Kent K9ZTV

                Lee Mairs (SAG) wrote:

                > I've got my FT-897 with me on vacation and just noticed that the
                > Clarifier
                > Knob has been sheared off the front panel. I assume this means a new pot
                > and a new knob. Can anybody point me to the correct part numbers so I can
                > get them sent by Yaesu/Vertex and have them waiting for me when I get
                > back
                > to WV? Also the phone number for Yaesu would help out,
                >
                > Needless to say, I don't have nayof my manuals with me....
                >
                > 73 de Lee
                > KM4YY/8

              • Mark Levenite
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 25, 2008
                  Lee,

                  Here is the info you need. The VFO/MEM CH control is listed in the
                  FT-897 Service Manual as S4002 - Rotary Encoder. Vertex STD Part
                  number is Q9000788. Not sure of price but I do recall someone
                  mentioning ordering it from Yaesu and it not costing too much.

                  Regards, Mark (NM7L)

                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, af6cm_yahoo@... wrote:

                  > Hi Lee,
                  >
                  > You can call Yaesu at 714-827-7600, and order the parts from them.
                  > I'm sure they will know what the part number is.
                  >
                  > 73,
                  > Rob
                  > AF6CM
                  >

                  > On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:36:49 -0400, "Lee Mairs (SAG)"
                  > <lmairs@...> said:
                  > > I've got my FT-897 with me on vacation and just noticed that the
                  > > Clarifier
                  > > Knob has been sheared off the front panel. I assume this means a
                  new pot
                  > > and a new knob. Can anybody point me to the correct part numbers
                  so I
                  > > can
                  > > get them sent by Yaesu/Vertex and have them waiting for me when I
                  get
                  > > back
                  > > to WV? Also the phone number for Yaesu would help out,
                  > >
                  > > Needless to say, I don't have nayof my manuals with me....
                  > >
                  > > 73 de Lee
                  > > KM4YY/8

                • Joe
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 25, 2008
                    Uh....he needs the clarifier, not the mem channel/vfo assembly!

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 25, 2008
                      OK...try this one:

                      P/N: Q9000790
                      Part Name: Rotary Encoder
                      FT-897 Part No: S4001

                      Does this work?

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 25, 2008
                        Mark -
                        It is the "Clarifier" control, not the VFO.MEM CH control knob. It is
                        definitely not a rotary encoder to the best of my knowledge.
                        73 de Lee
                        KM4YY/8

                        Mark Levenite wrote:
                        > Lee,
                        >
                        > Here is the info you need. The VFO/MEM CH control is listed in the
                        > FT-897 Service Manual as S4002 - Rotary Encoder. Vertex STD Part
                        > number is Q9000788. Not sure of price but I do recall someone
                        > mentioning ordering it from Yaesu and it not costing too much.
                        >
                        > Regards, Mark (NM7L)
                        >

                        > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, af6cm_yahoo@... wrote:
                        >> Hi Lee,
                        >>
                        >> You can call Yaesu at 714-827-7600, and order the parts from them.
                        >> I'm sure they will know what the part number is.
                        >>
                        >> 73,
                        >> Rob
                        >> AF6CM
                        >>

                        >> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:36:49 -0400, "Lee Mairs (SAG)"
                        >> <lmairs@...> said:
                        >>> I've got my FT-897 with me on vacation and just noticed that the
                        >>> Clarifier
                        >>> Knob has been sheared off the front panel. I assume this means a
                        > new pot
                        >>> and a new knob. Can anybody point me to the correct part numbers
                        > so I
                        >>> can
                        >>> get them sent by Yaesu/Vertex and have them waiting for me when I
                        > get
                        >>> back
                        >>> to WV? Also the phone number for Yaesu would help out,
                        >>>
                        >>> Needless to say, I don't have nayof my manuals with me....
                        >>>
                        >>> 73 de Lee
                        >>> KM4YY/8

                      • Mark Levenite
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 25, 2008
                          Lee,

                          Yeah...I realized I mis-read your post initially (and, was dutifully
                          called on my mistake). My bad. My follow-on post does, in fact,
                          show the correct nomenclature as found in the FT-897 Service Manual
                          for the clarifier. If you wish, by perfoming a Google search on FT-
                          897 service manual you should find several sites from which to obtain
                          your own copy. And, yes, Yaesu does refer to the clarifier as
                          a "rotary encoder" as well.

                          Regards, Mark (NM7L)

                          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Mairs (SAG)" <lmairs@...> wrote:

                          > Mark -
                          > It is the "Clarifier" control, not the VFO.MEM CH control knob. It
                          is
                          > definitely not a rotary encoder to the best of my knowledge.
                          > 73 de Lee
                          > KM4YY/8
                          >

                          > Mark Levenite wrote:
                          > > Lee,
                          > >
                          > > Here is the info you need. The VFO/MEM CH control is listed in
                          the
                          > > FT-897 Service Manual as S4002 - Rotary Encoder. Vertex STD Part
                          > > number is Q9000788. Not sure of price but I do recall someone
                          > > mentioning ordering it from Yaesu and it not costing too much.
                          > >
                          > > Regards, Mark (NM7L)
                          > >

                          > > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, af6cm_yahoo@ wrote:
                          > >> Hi Lee,
                          > >>
                          > >> You can call Yaesu at 714-827-7600, and order the parts from
                          them.
                          > >> I'm sure they will know what the part number is.
                          > >>
                          > >> 73,
                          > >> Rob
                          > >> AF6CM

                          > > new pot
                          > > so I
                          > > get

                        • hank laauw
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 26, 2008
                            Hi All
                            Thanks to rough baggage handlers in the Cook Islands,(My call there was ZK1BHL) they not only torn my suitcase on both sides, they also sheared off both the Mem/Vfo as well as the Clarifier shafts. There are aluminum replacements available from the UK, just check the history pages and you'll find the URL.
                            Because I ran out of time, both optical encoders, complete with new shafts were ordered locally in Australia and arrived a fortnight later.
                            The replacement of both units was fairly straightforward. Unscrew both top and bottom cover. Disconnect speaker plug.Pull out spare batteries and disconnect. ( If you have them installed) Take out 2 screws on top and the same down the bottom to loosen your front panel which will now pull forward.
                            Undo cable tiedowns and disconnect all plugs.
                            You should now have the front panel in your hand.
                            Undo all the copper coloured screws and the board will separate from the front panel.
                            Use solder wick or a sucker to undo both units from the PC board.
                            You'll need a 5 Watt iron, no more or you;ll burn the PC board.
                            The VFO/Mem optical encoder has 2 more legs than the other unit.
                            That's because it has a push on/push off switch in it as well.
                            And just in case you are interested, optical encoders are nothing more than a sheets of plastic with black lines on it in a circular pattern.
                            As you turn the knob, the TxLED transmits light (Or is blocked) through the plastic.
                             The Rx photo transistor sees either black or white.
                            Leading/Trailing edge decoders sense which way you went, up or down.
                            One tip about removal of the screws to separate the PC Board from the front panel.
                            Grab a piece of paper, draw a rough outline of the Board, so you can put the screws (WHICH ARE NOT ALL SIMILAR) back in the right place. The rest is just the reverse of the disassembly procedure.
                            Hope this is some help if you want to do the job yourself
                            Hank
                            VK2BIGHAIRYLEGS

                            Yeah...I realized I mis-read your post initially (and, was dutifully

                            called on my mistake). My bad. My follow-on post does, in fact,

                            show the correct nomenclature as found in the FT-897 Service Manual

                            for the clarifier. If you wish, by perfoming a Google search on FT-

                            897 service manual you should find several sites from which to obtain

                            your own copy. And, yes, Yaesu does refer to the clarifier as

                            a "rotary encoder" as well.

                            Regards, Mark (NM7L)

                            --- In FT897@yahoogroups. com, "Lee Mairs (SAG)" <lmairs@...> wrote:

                            > Mark -

                            > It is the "Clarifier" control, not the VFO.MEM CH control knob. It

                            is

                            > definitely not a rotary encoder to the best of my knowledge.

                            > 73 de Lee

                            > KM4YY/8

                            > Mark Levenite wrote:

                            > > Lee,

                            > > Here is the info you need. The VFO/MEM CH control is listed in

                            the

                            > > FT-897 Service Manual as S4002 - Rotary Encoder. Vertex STD Part

                            > > number is Q9000788. Not sure of price but I do recall someone

                            > > mentioning ordering it from Yaesu and it not costing too much.

                            > > Regards, Mark (NM7L)

                            > > --- In FT897@yahoogroups. com, af6cm_yahoo@ wrote:

                            > >> Hi Lee,

                            > >> You can call Yaesu at 714-827-7600, and order the parts from

                            them.

                            > >> I'm sure they will know what the part number is.

                            > >> 73,

                            > >> Rob

                            > >> AF6CM

                            > > new pot

                            numbers

                            > > so I

                            > > get

                          • John Johnson
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 26, 2008
                              Some time back Chris at Martin Lynch showed me his FT-897 with what he
                              described as a British Army modification that consists of a guard plate
                              either end of the front panel extending further forward than the controls so
                              that if dropped or bashed against a flat surface the knobs are protected.

                              I have no idea if it's commercially available but it sounds like a good
                              idea.

                              JJ

                              Lee Mairs (SAG) wrote:

                              > I've got my FT-897 with me on vacation and just noticed that the
                              > Clarifier
                              > Knob has been sheared off the front panel. I assume this means a new pot
                              > and a new knob. Can anybody point me to the correct part numbers so I can
                              > get them sent by Yaesu/Vertex and have them waiting for me when I get
                              > back
                              > to WV? Also the phone number for Yaesu would help out,
                              >
                              > Needless to say, I don't have nayof my manuals with me....
                              >
                              > 73 de Lee
                              > KM4YY/8

                            • Lee Mairs (SAG)
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 26, 2008
                                Thanks for the follow on Mark.

                                I surely don't look forward to the fix! It looks like they found the
                                Japanese guy with the smallest hands, gave him the rotary encoder, and told
                                him to build a transceiver around it!
                                I did download the Service Manual last night.

                                73 de Lee
                                KM4YY/8

                              • Lee Mairs (SAG)
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 26, 2008
                                  Thanks Hank -
                                  I will save this post until my return to WBGV.
                                  73 de Lee
                                  KM4YY/8

                                • itdynamics
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 26, 2008
                                    Hi Hank,
                                    I cant find the link to the "clarifier gaurd" you mentioned.
                                    Could you please post again??
                                    Thanks and 73's!!!

                                  • Don Taylor
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 27, 2008
                                      Part numbers:

                                      ENCODER VFO PN Q9000709

                                      ENCODER CLR PN Q9000790

                                      ENCODER SEL PN Q9000788

                                      KNOB CLR PN RA0411900

                                      Hope this helps.

                                      73

                                      Don Taylor

                                      DJoKM / K9SFN

                                      GARANT-FUNK

                                      GERMANY

                                    • gispertl
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 30, 2008
                                        Lee .... the same thing happened to me and I was able to fix it by
                                        using a tubular wooden toothpick cutting off the narrow pointed ends
                                        which made a wooden shaft that I inserted into the shaft portion of the
                                        control and it fit into the chassis portion also....I applied
                                        some "Gorilla Clue" and the fix was done....I hope this helps

                                        Larry/KR4X