ATAS-120 on 75M?

  • gadgetasaurus
    Message 1 of 18 , May 3, 2003
      I read that the ATAS-120 can tune all bands down to 40 meters. Is
      there any way to make it work on 75 meters?

      --Mike (N6QG)
    • Al Allum
      Message 2 of 18 , May 4, 2003
        It’s a compromise antenna on all the frequencies it is designed for. It
        would only be worse on one it is not designed for. There is little
        radiating area on the 120 and you would certainly need more for 75 m.

        I like my ATAS-120 when mobile and it is so easy to switch bands and tune
        up. If you will be on 75 meters most of the time get a 80 (75) meter mobile
        antenna and have better performance.

        Al, N8ARO

        I read that the ATAS-120 can tune all bands down to 40 meters. Is
        there any way to make it work on 75 meters?

        --Mike (N6QG)

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3179269.4495679.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050631
        08:HM/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&linei
        d=3179269?=egroupweb&pos=HM>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • k9ztv@socket.net
        Message 3 of 18 , May 4, 2003
          Mike . . .

          Yes there is . . .

          It's called a 75 meter resonator plus mast and goes by several names
          including High Sierra and Hustler, among others.

          Think!

          73,

          Kent K9ZTV

          gadgetasaurus wrote:

          > I read that the ATAS-120 can tune all bands down to 40 meters. Is
          > there any way to make it work on 75 meters?
          >
          > --Mike (N6QG)
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3179269.4495679.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705063108:HM/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3179269&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

        • capt_seabee
          Message 4 of 18 , May 4, 2003
            Gents,

            I don't have an ATAS but note HiQ Antennas has an equivalent
            functioning unit which does 75 and up. I'm going to pay more
            attention to it when I get an 897 but for now, I'm headed back to
            FarPAC.

            Kev N7KKR
          • kg6irw
            Message 5 of 18 , May 4, 2003
              I'm stuggling with the same decision: ATAS 120 or Hi-Q?

              I have a couple of folks in the local club who swear by their Hi-Q
              antennas. I must admit that the reviews I've read and the comments
              here lead me to believe that the ATAS 120/100 is not a good
              decision. This antenna will have to ultimately be my main QTH
              antenna and screwdrivers appear to offer the best across-the-band
              capabilities I'm looking for.

              Right now, I'm leaning toward the Hi-Q because it will emulate the
              ATAS system and seems to have more efficiency. I'm reading more and
              more about the SteppIR verticals but I'm not sure they are going to
              be able to handle the coastal salt/fog we get here.

              Cost-wise, it seems these two antennas are pretty much the same if
              you include the base units and other mounting hardware required.

              Anyone else pondering the same sort of thing?

              Cheers,

              David/KG6IRW

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "capt_seabee" <silverdale@c...> wrote:
              > Gents,
              >
              > I don't have an ATAS but note HiQ Antennas has an equivalent
              > functioning unit which does 75 and up. I'm going to pay more
              > attention to it when I get an 897 but for now, I'm headed back to
              > FarPAC.
              >
              > Kev N7KKR
            • gadgetasaurus
              Message 6 of 18 , May 5, 2003
                Hi David,

                I faced that same struggle. I wanted the ease of use that the ATAS-
                120 gives, but I really wanted 75M. I also read not so glowing
                reviews of the ATAS line. In the end, I decided to go with the Hi-Q.

                I spoke with Charlie at Hi-Q this morning. He is a very nice guy.
                Despite his hectic schedule (shows and deliveries), he took the time
                to chat with me. They are developing a circuit to make their
                antennas automatically tune like the ATAS-120, but it is not
                available yet. My thought is that I'd rather have the vastly better
                performance of the Hi-Q than the immediate convenience of the ATAS-
                120. I will probably make a circuit to interface the antenna drive
                myself. If I'm not successful (I think I will be), I can wait for
                the one Hi-Q develops, and use a toggle switch in the meanwhile.

                I'll be picking up my Hi-Q antenna this week.

                --Mike (N6QG)

                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "kg6irw" <kg6irw@y...> wrote:
                > I'm stuggling with the same decision: ATAS 120 or Hi-Q?
                >
                > I have a couple of folks in the local club who swear by their Hi-Q
                > antennas. I must admit that the reviews I've read and the
                comments
                > here lead me to believe that the ATAS 120/100 is not a good
                > decision. This antenna will have to ultimately be my main QTH
                > antenna and screwdrivers appear to offer the best across-the-band
                > capabilities I'm looking for.
                >
                > Right now, I'm leaning toward the Hi-Q because it will emulate the
                > ATAS system and seems to have more efficiency. I'm reading more
                and
                > more about the SteppIR verticals but I'm not sure they are going
                > be able to handle the coastal salt/fog we get here.
                >
                > Cost-wise, it seems these two antennas are pretty much the same if
                > you include the base units and other mounting hardware required.
                >
                > Anyone else pondering the same sort of thing?
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > David/KG6IRW
                >

                > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "capt_seabee" <silverdale@c...>
                wrote:
                > > Gents,
                > >
                > > I don't have an ATAS but note HiQ Antennas has an equivalent
                > > functioning unit which does 75 and up. I'm going to pay more
                > > attention to it when I get an 897 but for now, I'm headed back
                > > FarPAC.
                > >
                > > Kev N7KKR
              • Kevin Feeney
                Message 7 of 18 , May 5, 2003
                  >Hi David,
                  >
                  >I faced that same struggle. I wanted the ease of use that the ATAS-
                  >120 gives, but I really wanted 75M. I also read not so glowing
                  >reviews of the ATAS line. In the end, I decided to go with the Hi-Q.
                  >
                  >I spoke with Charlie at Hi-Q this morning. He is a very nice guy.
                  >Despite his hectic schedule (shows and deliveries), he took the time
                  >to chat with me. They are developing a circuit to make their
                  >antennas automatically tune like the ATAS-120, but it is not
                  >available yet. My thought is that I'd rather have the vastly better
                  >performance of the Hi-Q than the immediate convenience of the ATAS-
                  >120. I will probably make a circuit to interface the antenna drive
                  >myself. If I'm not successful (I think I will be), I can wait for
                  >the one Hi-Q develops, and use a toggle switch in the meanwhile.
                  >
                  >I'll be picking up my Hi-Q antenna this week.
                  >
                  >--Mike (N6QG)

                  I would imagine it should be relatively easy to make a circuit up to
                  convert the up down voltages produced by the radios (+8 and +12, I
                  forget which is up or down) to control an appropriate set of relays
                  to apply and reverse the 12 volts needed by most screwdriver antennas
                  - I plan to do that in my mobile to run an existing BB3 screwdriver.

                  The bigger problem on 75 meters is the radio may not support it. I
                  don't have an 897 or 857 yet, but my 847 only supports autotuning of
                  the ATAS down to 40 meters, the range of the original ATAS100
                  antenna. On 75 or 160 it just goes stupid and refuses to accept the
                  tune command. Which is unfortunate, because one could add an
                  additional coil to support the lower bands if one wanted to, or in
                  fixed locations, simply add 20-30 feet of wire to the antenna tip for
                  temporary low band coverage. Or, as discussed above, swap out the
                  atas for an antenna that can cover the extended range. Does anyone
                  know for sure if the radio will even accept the tune command on the
                  lower bands? I hope yaesu hasn't propagated that error into the newer
                  models. It would take a lot of the interest I have in those radios
                  away. 75 meters is a fine winter mobile band with a decent
                  screwdriver antenna.

                  F. Feeney, WB2EMS

                  --

                  F. Kevin Feeney
                  Senior Information Technology Engineer
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 5, 2003
                    Well, I don't they Yaesu considers this an error in their radios.
                    Not allowing tuning of the ATAS-100/200 is an intentional feature to
                    prevent us from using non-Yaesu antennas. Perhaps we will soon have
                    an autotuning antenna that will just ignore the Yaesu control.

                    73,
                    Barry - W4WB

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 5, 2003
                      Thanks for the comments, Mike. Looks like I'll get in line for a Hi-
                      Q antenna along with you. Having the promise of an outboard
                      controller in the near future is enough to induce me to go ahead and
                      make the purchase now.

                      You are correct that Charlie is a great guy who will take the time to
                      help make the decision - I talked with him today, too.

                      Cheers,

                      David/KG6IRW

                    • F. Kevin Feeney
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 5, 2003
                        At 10:33 PM 5/5/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                        >Well, I don't they Yaesu considers this an error in their radios.
                        >Not allowing tuning of the ATAS-100/200 is an intentional feature to
                        >prevent us from using non-Yaesu antennas.

                        Ah yes, I see, it's not a bug, it's a *feature*. ;-) Yes, it steers people
                        away from non-yaesu antennas to some extent. It probably also saves their
                        tech support from phone calls as to "why doesn't my atas120 tune down on 75
                        meters?" questions, simplifying life in the tech support cubical to some
                        extent.

                        But - it cripples the radio in a way it doesn't have to be. It's perfectly
                        capable of managing a properly modified antenna on 75 or even 160 meters. I
                        can imagine that RV'er and other mobileers who use the radio when fixed,
                        like myself, would welcome the ability to clip an extension wire to the top
                        of the whip and operate on the lower bands. Or serve as the control for a
                        variety of aftermarket antennas, extending the utility of the radio system.
                        There is just something that really irks my engineering sensibilities in
                        TURNING OFF AN EXISTING FEATURE because they are worried that some of us
                        may not know how to make use of it. Hide it in an extended menu like the 5
                        mhz emergency frequency support or some other esoteric feature that not
                        everyone uses. Call it "Extended ATAS frequency support ON/OFF" or some such.

                        While I'm at it, the other pet peeve I have is radios that won't let you
                        cycle through all the filters in a given mode, such as not allowing you to
                        use a cw filter on psk31 or pactor because you are in a 'voice' mode like
                        LSB/USB. If the filter is installed, I want access to it! I may be running
                        some new mode that can benefit from something other than the default filter
                        choices. Again, hide the ability in an extended menu choice if you have to
                        but if enabled, I should be able to cycle between all the filters in tx or
                        rx by cycling the Nar button or something similar. Fortunately the yaesu
                        offerings are taking steps in this direction with the DIG and USER mode
                        selections.

                        > Perhaps we will soon have
                        >an autotuning antenna that will just ignore the Yaesu control.

                        Sure, that can be done, but if you own the radio, you already bought and
                        paid for an autotuning control in the radio, they just only gave you use of
                        half of it. ;-(

                        >73,
                        >Barry - W4WB

                        73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
                      • Bruce Wilson
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 5, 2003
                          You know, I always thought they didn't list 75m to save the user the
                          indignity of putting 100 W into an antenna running at 5% efficiency. I mean,
                          transmitting a 75m wave from a 5 foot antenna? Why bother? 1/15th-wave
                          antennas just don't radiate all that well.

                          Bruce Wilson
                          http://research.uvsc.edu/wilson
                          > >Well, I don't they Yaesu considers this an error in their radios.
                          > >Not allowing tuning of the ATAS-100/200 is an intentional feature to
                          > >prevent us from using non-Yaesu antennas.
                          >
                          > Ah yes, I see, it's not a bug, it's a *feature*. ;-) Yes, it steers
                          people
                          > away from non-yaesu antennas to some extent. It probably also saves their
                          > tech support from phone calls as to "why doesn't my atas120 tune down on
                          75
                          > meters?" questions, simplifying life in the tech support cubical to some
                          > extent.
                          >
                          > But - it cripples the radio in a way it doesn't have to be. It's perfectly
                          > capable of managing a properly modified antenna on 75 or even 160 meters.
                          > can imagine that RV'er and other mobileers who use the radio when fixed,
                          > like myself, would welcome the ability to clip an extension wire to the
                          top
                          > of the whip and operate on the lower bands. Or serve as the control for a
                          > variety of aftermarket antennas, extending the utility of the radio
                          system.
                          > There is just something that really irks my engineering sensibilities in
                          > TURNING OFF AN EXISTING FEATURE because they are worried that some of us
                          > may not know how to make use of it. Hide it in an extended menu like the 5
                          > mhz emergency frequency support or some other esoteric feature that not
                          > everyone uses. Call it "Extended ATAS frequency support ON/OFF" or some
                          such.

                          > While I'm at it, the other pet peeve I have is radios that won't let you
                          > cycle through all the filters in a given mode, such as not allowing you to
                          > use a cw filter on psk31 or pactor because you are in a 'voice' mode like
                          > LSB/USB. If the filter is installed, I want access to it! I may be running
                          > some new mode that can benefit from something other than the default
                          filter
                          > choices. Again, hide the ability in an extended menu choice if you have to
                          > but if enabled, I should be able to cycle between all the filters in tx or
                          > rx by cycling the Nar button or something similar. Fortunately the yaesu
                          > offerings are taking steps in this direction with the DIG and USER mode
                          > selections.
                          >

                          > > Perhaps we will soon have
                          > >an autotuning antenna that will just ignore the Yaesu control.
                          >
                          > Sure, that can be done, but if you own the radio, you already bought and
                          > paid for an autotuning control in the radio, they just only gave you use
                          of
                          > half of it. ;-(
                          >

                          > >73,
                          > >Barry - W4WB
                          >

                          > 73 de Kevin, WB2EMS

                        • F. Kevin Feeney
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 5, 2003
                            At 09:00 PM 5/5/2003 -0600, you wrote:
                            >You know, I always thought they didn't list 75m to save the user the
                            >indignity of putting 100 W into an antenna running at 5% efficiency. I mean,
                            >transmitting a 75m wave from a 5 foot antenna? Why bother? 1/15th-wave
                            >antennas just don't radiate all that well.

                            Sure, I'll agree the atas wouldn't make much of an antenna on 75, I just
                            lament crippling the capability to use the tuning controls in the radio for
                            other useful purposes with a modified antenna or a different antenna. All
                            the hardware and the smarts are built into the radio but turned off on
                            those bands for what are essentially marketing reasons. I find that
                            frustrating, because I like to operate 75 meters mobile with a wire
                            extention on my antenna when fixed, and with a larger mobile screwdriver
                            antenna (BB3) which performs adequately on 75. It would be nice to use the
                            radio's capabilities to tune it. Seems redundant and costly to have to
                            acquire yet another automated tuning box just to handle one band, arguably
                            the only band that really needs automated tuning, most of the others could
                            be set and forget. I just think Yaesu is missing a bet on not making the
                            radio more flexible and useful to it's users, which should make it more
                            attractive in the marketplace. Probably more than enough on the subject -
                            back to lurk mode.

                            73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
                          • Bruce Wilson
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 5, 2003
                              Oh, I understand from your post that the radio won't even try to tune at
                              75m? That is a dumb thing to do. I thought you were talking about the ATAS
                              itself; I must have missed part of the thread.

                              Will the ATAS even tune 75M? I thought there were other applications
                              (antenna tuners, etc) that could use the [TUNE] function, and surely they
                              will operate in the 80/75m band. What happens if, instead of setting the
                              tuner to ATAS, you set it to some other function (TUNER, for example)? Will
                              it still tune the ATAS? Maybe that would be a way around the limit.

                              Bruce Wilson
                              http://research.uvsc.edu/wilson
                              > >You know, I always thought they didn't list 75m to save the user the
                              > >indignity of putting 100 W into an antenna running at 5% efficiency. I
                              mean,
                              > >transmitting a 75m wave from a 5 foot antenna? Why bother? 1/15th-wave
                              > >antennas just don't radiate all that well.
                              >
                              > Sure, I'll agree the atas wouldn't make much of an antenna on 75, I just
                              > lament crippling the capability to use the tuning controls in the radio
                              for
                              > other useful purposes with a modified antenna or a different antenna. All
                              > the hardware and the smarts are built into the radio but turned off on
                              > those bands for what are essentially marketing reasons. I find that
                              > frustrating, because I like to operate 75 meters mobile with a wire
                              > extention on my antenna when fixed, and with a larger mobile screwdriver
                              > antenna (BB3) which performs adequately on 75. It would be nice to use the
                              > radio's capabilities to tune it. Seems redundant and costly to have to
                              > acquire yet another automated tuning box just to handle one band, arguably
                              > the only band that really needs automated tuning, most of the others could
                              > be set and forget. I just think Yaesu is missing a bet on not making the
                              > radio more flexible and useful to it's users, which should make it more
                              > attractive in the marketplace. Probably more than enough on the subject -
                              > back to lurk mode.
                              >
                              > 73 de Kevin, WB2EMS

                            • F. Kevin Feeney
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 5, 2003
                                At 10:09 PM 5/5/2003 -0600, you wrote:
                                >Oh, I understand from your post that the radio won't even try to tune at
                                >75m? That is a dumb thing to do. I thought you were talking about the ATAS
                                >itself; I must have missed part of the thread.

                                no, clearly the antenna is a rubber duck on 75 - I have one of the atas100
                                units that came with my 847. It's not even that good down on 40 meters, but
                                useable.

                                >Will the ATAS even tune 75M? I thought there were other applications
                                >(antenna tuners, etc) that could use the [TUNE] function, and surely they
                                >will operate in the 80/75m band. What happens if, instead of setting the
                                >tuner to ATAS, you set it to some other function (TUNER, for example)? Will
                                >it still tune the ATAS? Maybe that would be a way around the limit.

                                I don't know on the 897 or 857, I haven't bought one yet, partly because of
                                this issue. But I own an 847 (and 817) and while the FC30 tuner is supposed
                                to work on 75, the ATAS ignores the tune command on that band and 160.
                                That's my complaint. I'm hoping they might have taken the block in
                                frequency off the newer radios. I hope to get my hands on one soon to
                                check. Or perhaps someone on the list can test it and report.

                                Kevin, WB2EMS
                              • Cortland
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 5, 2003
                                  A Bug Catcher might give you 5 percent, a good one even 10 percent,
                                  on 75 meters, but it is improbable an ATAS could even get ONE percent
                                  there with the construction it uses.

                                  There is no way provided, even, to add supplementary loading for 75.
                                  Thus, there's no need to support it. I believe the lack of ATAS
                                  support below 40 meters is simply due to the fact that the ATAS
                                  antennas cannot reach it, and also that people WOULD try anyhow - and
                                  burn out motors in futile attempts to make something happen that the
                                  antenas don't do. Folks have enough problems without adding that one!

                                  Cortland

                                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Wilson" <b.e.wilson@u...> wrote:
                                  > You know, I always thought they didn't list 75m to save the user the
                                  > indignity of putting 100 W into an antenna running at 5%
                                  efficiency. I mean,
                                • Norm, W3IZ
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 6, 2003
                                    Is the reason that anyone would want to use the ATAS system is because it can be controlled by the radio? If so has anyone any thought about modifying the ATAS or using the control circuitry on another antenna like a High Sierra, Hi-Q, or Tarheel? Just curious.
                                    73,
                                    Norm, W3IZ

                                    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/w3iz/w3iz.html

                                  • w4cng
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 6, 2003
                                      The antenna is controlled by the radio and will not respond on any
                                      frequency below 7.0Mhz. You get beep beep and no action, not even in
                                      the manual mode of Up or Dn. I increased the efficiency of mine by
                                      using a Hamstick whip (60 inches) and drilling out the top of the
                                      brass fitting to take the larger diameter whip vs the supplied 3ft
                                      whip. Measured 25% more FS on a remote Freq counter/FS meter in
                                      front of the truck. For fixed use I have used a 10 foot long piece
                                      of #12 stranded wire with good luck on 40-15 meters, will not tune
                                      12/10 meters.
                                      Good Luck
                                      Steve W4CNG

                                      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Norm, W3IZ" <w3iz@c...> wrote:
                                      > Is the reason that anyone would want to use the ATAS system is
                                      because it can be controlled by the radio?
                                    • Pres Waterman
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 7, 2003
                                        I increased the efficiency of mine by
                                        using a Hamstick whip (60 inches) and drilling out the top of the
                                        brass fitting to take the larger diameter whip vs the supplied 3ft
                                        whip. Measured 25% more FS on a remote Freq counter/FS meter in
                                        front of the truck. For fixed use I have used a 10 foot long piece
                                        of #12 stranded wire with good luck on 40-15 meters, will not tune
                                        12/10 meters.

                                        Wow... that's cool. I replaced the stock whip with one about a foot longer
                                        ( a Larsen black whip- looks cooooooooool! ) and it had trouble tuning. I
                                        cut the whip to match the stocklength and called it a day.

                                        Which bands did you improve with the 60" whip? And does it tune properly
                                        every time?

                                        I may not be able to try again because my ATAS is mounted at roof level on
                                        the Explorer and a friend said I was only about 6" away from smacking the
                                        parkway bridges, which are listed as low as 10'6" clearance in some cases.

                                        Thanks

                                        .Pres Waterman.W2PW
                                        GO BILLS!