RE: [FT897] MH 59 Worth it?

  • David Little
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3 9:11 AM
      Ron,

      It can really be a benefit for mobile operation.

      For fixed operations you can assign 3 functions, and have remote control
      from the Mic on most features. It can save a lot of menu scrolling.

      As far as sound on the air... You will need to open the Mic, carefully
      remove the element, then remove the plastic "block-off" plate that makes
      your audio sound like you are talking through a Kazoo.

      After you open a path to the Mic element, the audio really comes alive.

      Put a small piece of cotton between the opening in the front of the Mic and
      the element before putting the element back in.

      David
      KD4NUE

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4 2:34 PM
        What about the mic mod involving the capacitors???

        Is that any good???

        Steve/KC8LQV/AE

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "David Little" <dalite01@...> wrote:

        > Ron,
        >
        > It can really be a benefit for mobile operation.
        >
        > For fixed operations you can assign 3 functions, and have remote
        control
        > from the Mic on most features. It can save a lot of menu scrolling.
        >
        > As far as sound on the air... You will need to open the Mic,
        carefully
        > remove the element, then remove the plastic "block-off" plate that
        makes
        > your audio sound like you are talking through a Kazoo.
        >
        > After you open a path to the Mic element, the audio really comes
        alive.

        > Put a small piece of cotton between the opening in the front of the
        Mic and
        > the element before putting the element back in.
        >
        > David
        > KD4NUE

        Behalf Of Ron
        > Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 10:31 AM
        > To: FT897@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [FT897] MH 59 Worth it?
        >

        > I was wonder if purchasing the MH 59 is a worthwhile investment?
        How
        > much better does adding this mic make the functionality of the
        radio?

        > TNX
        >
        > Ron
        > WA0RJ

      • David Little
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4 2:47 PM
          I haven't done that mod.

          It will vary from the operators vocal characteristics.

          Adding crossover components that aid a normally low pitched voice are not
          effective for someone with a high pitched voice.

          The concept of changing the curves with capacitance is nothing new, but I
          don't know if a one-size flits all approach is the answer.

          David
          KD4NUE

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups. <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com> com, "David
          Little" <dalite01@...> wrote:

          > Ron,
          >
          > It can really be a benefit for mobile operation.
          >
          > For fixed operations you can assign 3 functions, and have remote
          control
          > from the Mic on most features. It can save a lot of menu scrolling.
          >
          > As far as sound on the air... You will need to open the Mic,
          carefully
          > remove the element, then remove the plastic "block-off" plate that
          makes
          > your audio sound like you are talking through a Kazoo.
          >
          > After you open a path to the Mic element, the audio really comes
          alive.

          > Put a small piece of cotton between the opening in the front of the
          Mic and
          > the element before putting the element back in.
          >
          > David
          > KD4NUE

        • Bruce "Pilgrim" Stanton
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4 5:32 PM
            It makes mobile operation much, much easier and safer, I think.

            Bruce - W7PIL

            --
            "When seconds count, the police are just minutes away." - Unknown Author
            “Arms are the only true badges of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.” —Andrew Fletcher