Re: [FT897] Re: Battery Pack/AC Supply Question/OK Now!!!

  • Alex K.
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
      THANKS to all you folks who responded to my "dumb"
      question. Batteries are installed, charged with the
      CD24 charger, and external power is now connected.
      Actually so far I am impressed with the 897D. It
      does quite a lot for the size package it is, but I
      have discovered the "I" needs to be showing on most
      bands, preamp Off !!!!! I have had no problems with
      the menus, its pretty intuitive,,,,,,,,once you'vre
      read the manual thoroughly!!!
      I guess being a Ham since 1963 and going on 65 this
      coming birthday has NO effect on my ability to handle
      these "new fangled" radios!!!!
      THANKS again to all.
      Alex K5UNY Dallas Tx
      --- alicatt_56 <aipaul@...> wrote:

      > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <k5uny@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi All,
      > > I just got my 897D yesterday and spent the
      > evening reading thru
      > the
      > > manual. I haven't applied power to the radio as of
      > this morning!!
      > Talk
      > > about discipline!!??
      > > Am I Incorrect in what I "think" the manual
      > "doesn't say" about
      > > internal batteries?? I have 2 of the 4500mah
      > battery packs but I
      > think
      > > when the batteries are installed I CAN'T use an
      > external AC
      > operated
      > > power supply??? The batteries have to be
      > "uninstalled" to use an
      > > outboard power supply??
      > > Is this correct? I don't want to try it and
      > damage my New
      > > plaything!!!
      > > Thanks Alex K5uny Dallas Tx
      > >
      > Hi and welcome to the group
      > When you plug in the external power supply it
      > disconects the internal
      > batteries. what you cannot do is charge the internal
      > battery that you
      > are using at the same time. ie: if you are using
      > battery A then you
      > can charge battery B. You cannot charge the internal
      > batteries
      > through the 12V external power connector, you need
      > the CD24 charger.
      > HTH.
      > Alistair.
      > 73s de GM6JWF

    • Paul Pollock
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
        Your radio is quite safe with the batteries installed. They are
        essentially taken out of circuit when you plug your main power supply
        into the hi-current connections. This also means that the designers
        expect you to charge the batteries with the provided optional battery
        charger via the bottom rear connections explained in the manual(s).
        The internal batteries have their own battery connections on the main-
        board, the power is handled by the power manager on the board. The
        only thing it monitors is whether there is power on the external mains
        connection or not. If not, the maximum power is reduced (20-watts
        pep), and the batteries are routed to the radio. If the mains are
        supplied power, the maximum power is adjusted up to radio maximum (100-
        watts pep) and the batteries are essentially removed from the circuit.

        -Paul Pollock
        KD7BWB

        On Mar 1, 2008, at 8:06 AM, Alex wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > I just got my 897D yesterday and spent the evening reading thru the
        > manual. I haven't applied power to the radio as of this morning!! Talk
        > about discipline!!??
        > Am I Incorrect in what I "think" the manual "doesn't say" about
        > internal batteries?? I have 2 of the 4500mah battery packs but I think
        > when the batteries are installed I CAN'T use an external AC operated
        > power supply??? The batteries have to be "uninstalled" to use an
        > outboard power supply??
        > Is this correct? I don't want to try it and damage my New
        > plaything!!!
        > Thanks Alex K5uny Dallas Tx

      • John Earnshaw
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
          Well done I am glad that you have sorted out the menu and battery problem ....Just lifes long one now WOMEN !!!!????
          Guess that's why we are male DOH!!! XYL looking see married not stupid I agree with her.And yes she is an M3 but can't figure out the FT897 yet lol it's mine all mine.
          Maybe we could start a net for the 897 users like they have on the FT2000 forum.HF on a time suitable for all countries concerned
          John Earnshaw
          M0JFE
          Ride The Waves And Make New Friends
          Packet M0JFE@GB7FCR.#16.GBR.EU