Re: [FT897] High SWR

  • JAMES AMBURN
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 4, 2007
      Yes, that is normal with the G5RV that ant. operates right on the max edge of the Yeasu tuner. The MFJ model has a 10:1 range where the Yeasu only has a 3:1 swr range. Hope that helps.
      Jim NØTUI
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 4, 2007
        Let me see if I understand you correctly. If you are
        having trouble with high SWR at the radio, but normal
        SWR at the tuner, and you have tried this with two
        different tuners, then I would suspect the coax jumper
        that you are using between the radio and tuner(s)is bad.
        Try swapping that coax out with a known-good cable.

        Rob
        AF6CM

        Yes, that is normal with the G5RV that ant. operates right on the max edge of the Yeasu tuner. The MFJ model has a 10:1 range where the Yeasu only has a 3:1 swr range. Hope that helps.
        Jim N�TUI
        Well I have a FT-897 and I set it up as a base unit to a G5RV JR
        I used a Yeasu 897 tuner and it reads high SWR when I try to tune
        I have switched tuners and used an old fashion manual
        tuner and the SWR meter reads okay but the meter on th FT-897 reads high
        has anyone else had this happen to them or have any advise

        No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
      • Graham
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 5, 2007
          You beat me to that one Rob,

          Once took a guys set nearly to bits, looking for the same fault ,
          turned out to be the cable he was using from the set had, one of
          those 'odd' solder joints that fail under load , worked fine on 'rx'

          G ..

          -- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Rob"<af6cm@...> wrote:

          > Let me see if I understand you correctly. If you are
          > having trouble with high SWR at the radio, but normal
          > SWR at the tuner, and you have tried this with two
          > different tuners, then I would suspect the coax jumper
          > that you are using between the radio and tuner(s)is bad.
          > Try swapping that coax out with a known-good cable.
          >
          > Rob
          > AF6CM

        • Geoff Blake
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 5, 2007
            On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Graham wrote:

            > You beat me to that one Rob,
            >
            > Once took a guys set nearly to bits, looking for the same fault ,
            > turned out to be the cable he was using from the set had, one of
            > those 'odd' solder joints that fail under load , worked fine on 'rx'

            Somewhat off topic, but some 30+ years ago, I had a fault on a low
            power Band V TV transmitter. The tuning of the output stages is
            rather critical to obtain a flat frequency response over a 10MHz
            or so bandwidth.

            At the time I had aligned several of these units at various
            frequencies with little difficulty but one gave problems. It gave
            the specified 50W+ output but it was impossible to get the
            bandwidth correct, there was a large notch right in the middle. I
            could move the notch, but not get rid of it out the passband.

            After some time spent diligently searching around the power
            amplifier, I eventually found the fault. The output from the
            amplifier cavity was connected to the rear panel connector by a
            6" length of 0.181" semi-rigid co-ax. I measured the cable and it
            was a 0.1 ohm short.

            When I dismantled the N-type connector on one end, I found a tiny
            piece of copper, a bit of swarf from the solid copper jacket,
            which was shorting the connector. The amazing part of the story is
            that the co-ax line could be so tuned that the short circuit would
            still transmit the full power.

            Geoff

            --
            Geoff Blake G8GNZ located near Chelmsford, Essex, U.K.
            Please reply to: geoff(at)palaemon(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk

            See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>

            This E-mail and any attachment(s) are strictly confidential
            and is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the
            intended recipient please notify <postmaster(at)palaemon.co.uk>
            and the sender by return and permanently delete the message.

            You may not disclose, forward or copy this E-mail or any of its
            attachments to any third party without the prior consent of the
            sender.

          • Graham
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 7, 2007
              ... Looks you had a very long notch filter .. hihi.. spent a day
              looking round the macroni works at chelmsford in 1980 , the tele-cine
              machine with its motor/servo convergance/picture set up was very
              impressive !

              G ..

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Blake <geoff@...> wrote:

              > On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Graham wrote:
              >
              > > You beat me to that one Rob,
              > >
              > > Once took a guys set nearly to bits, looking for the same fault ,
              > > turned out to be the cable he was using from the set had, one of
              > > those 'odd' solder joints that fail under load , worked fine
              on 'rx'

              > Somewhat off topic, but some 30+ years ago, I had a fault on a low
              > power Band V TV transmitter. The tuning of the output stages is
              > rather critical to obtain a flat frequency response over a 10MHz
              > or so bandwidth.
              >
              > At the time I had aligned several of these units at various
              > frequencies with little difficulty but one gave problems. It gave
              > the specified 50W+ output but it was impossible to get the
              > bandwidth correct, there was a large notch right in the middle. I
              > could move the notch, but not get rid of it out the passband.
              >
              > After some time spent diligently searching around the power
              > amplifier, I eventually found the fault. The output from the
              > amplifier cavity was connected to the rear panel connector by a
              > 6" length of 0.181" semi-rigid co-ax. I measured the cable and it
              > was a 0.1 ohm short.
              >
              > When I dismantled the N-type connector on one end, I found a tiny
              > piece of copper, a bit of swarf from the solid copper jacket,
              > which was shorting the connector. The amazing part of the story is
              > that the co-ax line could be so tuned that the short circuit would
              > still transmit the full power.
              >
              > Geoff
              >
              > --
              > Geoff Blake G8GNZ located near Chelmsford, Essex, U.K.
              > Please reply to: geoff(at)palaemon(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
              > Using Linux on Intel & Linux or NetBSD on Sun Sparc platforms

              > See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
              ----------

              > This E-mail and any attachment(s) are strictly confidential
              > and is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the
              > intended recipient please notify <postmaster(at)palaemon.co.uk>
              > and the sender by return and permanently delete the message.
              >
              > You may not disclose, forward or copy this E-mail or any of its
              > attachments to any third party without the prior consent of the
              > sender.

              ----------

            • Geoff Blake
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 7, 2007
                On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Graham wrote:

                > ... Looks you had a very long notch filter .. hihi.. spent a day
                > looking round the macroni works at chelmsford in 1980 , the tele-cine
                > machine with its motor/servo convergance/picture set up was very
                > impressive !

                Hmm, The Marconi Company I worked for was the Radar Company.

                The TV transmitters were made by a German competitor of Marconi.
                Having seen the Marconi TV transmitters, I am glad that I worked
                for the competition!!!!

                Geoff