SV: [FT897] FT 897D Loss of CW keying

  • Per Hjorth Christiansen
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2007
      Hi.

      What exactly is the problem?

      I mean, you connect the key to the radio and what happends then?

      >It appears that my 897D has lost its ability to be keyed by use of a
      >straight key.

      Vy 73 de oz1kad

      Per

      _____

      Jeg beskyttes af den gratis SPAMfighter til privatbrugere.
      Den har indtil videre sparet mig for at få 31 spam-mails
      Betalende brugere får ikke denne besked i deres e-mails.
      Hent en gratis SPAMfighter her <http://www.spamfighter.com/lda> .

    • John Blake
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2007
        This has been discussed already, if you check the history messages on
        yahoogroups theres quite a discussion on it. This also happened to me, just
        thought this might help.
        Cheers
        John VK6JRB

        On 01/11/2007, Per Hjorth Christiansen <per@...> wrote:

        > Hi.
        >
        > What exactly is the problem?
        >
        > I mean, you connect the key to the radio and what happends then?
        >
        > >It appears that my 897D has lost its ability to be keyed by use of a
        > >straight key.
        >
        > Vy 73 de oz1kad
        >
        > Per
        >
        > _____
        >
        > Jeg beskyttes af den gratis SPAMfighter til privatbrugere.
        > Den har indtil videre sparet mig for at få 31 spam-mails
        > Betalende brugere får ikke denne besked i deres e-mails.
        > Hent en gratis SPAMfighter her <http://www.spamfighter.com/lda> .

        John Blake VK6JRB

      • k5btk
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2007
          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "dennis baker" <ke0qm@...> wrote:

          > Hi all
          > It appears that my 897D has lost its ability to be keyed by use of
          > a straight key.
          > Is there a fix that can be done by a ham?
          > Has factory fixes been effective on this?
          > Has there been any mods to prohibit this from happening again?
          > 73
          > Dennis
          > KE0QM

          Hi, Dennis...
          Please look back at message number 20343 in the archives. It may
          explain your difficulty. I just got my unit back from Yaesu in
          California with a turn-around time of only a few days. The cost of
          repair was one hour of the service tech's time.
          By the way, the service tech suggested a ferrite choke be applied
          to the keying lead at the rear-panel keyjack. I have the ferrite
          choke and have put it on the key, but have not yet built up the nerve
          to go out with my portable antenna and put the system to a "smoke
          test" - hi!
          ...Don (K5BTK)
        • dennis baker
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2007
            Good evening fellow hams.

            First off thanks to all who replied to my posting:

            I did read the postings on the internet.

            For those who expressed an interest in what happen. Here is the
            situation when my FT 897d lost its keying. I was tuning up on 17
            Meters with 50 watts to a tuner to an end feed wire antenna. I was
            using a straight key at the time. It is connected to the radio via a
            twisted pair of wires.

            It appears that Yaesu shows this to be a ruggedized radio but in
            fact has some design flaws.

            I, for one, do not believe in having a pin from an processor coming
            out bare to be used as an external interface connection. This would
            almost be a violation of ESD principals especially one that is
            suseptible to RF destruction.

            I am looking for a perminate solution that is internal to the radio.
            Like the use of optical isolator or a pair of relays.

            I would like to share diagrams or ideas with anyone that would be
            interested. The one thing I do not wish for is another piece of
            ferrite hanging from a connector.

            I am always gratefull for any comments to this problem.

            73s and GE

            Dennis
            KE0QM
          • vr2ax
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
              Very interested in this, as I purchased a new 897D yesterday. I intend
              to use it mainly for /P cw from a gel cell, at around 20W.
              Occasionally, it may however be used to drive an amp from the home
              station.

              Wonder if the service tech mentioned what part(s) had failed. I see
              thet the cw jack input has fairly low (1/16W) power 1K resistors in
              series with the key line to the cpu, decoupled with 0.001. I suspect
              that one of these resistors may have fused, but would be worried if
              the cpu had to be replaced...

              Maybe a shielded cable with the shield grounded between the paddle and
              the jack, as well as a ferrite choke, might be a good idea. Is this a
              widespread issue with the 897D?

              Wyn (VR2AX)

              > Hi, Dennis...
              > Please look back at message number 20343 in the archives. It may
              > explain your difficulty. I just got my unit back from Yaesu in
              > California with a turn-around time of only a few days. The cost of
              > repair was one hour of the service tech's time.
              > By the way, the service tech suggested a ferrite choke be applied
              > to the keying lead at the rear-panel keyjack. I have the ferrite
              > choke and have put it on the key, but have not yet built up the
              nerve
              > to go out with my portable antenna and put the system to a "smoke
              > test" - hi!
              > ...Don (K5BTK)

            • k5btk
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2007
                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "vr2ax" <vr2ax@...> wrote:

                > Wonder if the service tech mentioned what part(s) had failed. I see
                > thet the cw jack input has fairly low (1/16W) power 1K resistors in
                > series with the key line to the cpu, decoupled with 0.001. I
                suspect
                > that one of these resistors may have fused, but would be worried if
                > the cpu had to be replaced...

                Nothing was said about what components were replaced in the last
                repair done on my FT-897D. When my first 897 (non-D) was repaired for
                the same problem (July 2005), 17 components were replaced including 4
                capacitors,
                9 resistors, a mini-clamp, a wire assembly, a connector, and a "coil"
                (L0022391, coil, E2 0.45-1.4-4T-L).

                > Maybe a shielded cable with the shield grounded between the paddle
                and
                > the jack, as well as a ferrite choke, might be a good idea.

                That is what Chip Margelli (formerly with Yaesu) suggested to another
                ham when he sent his unit in for repair a year or two ago.

                > Is this a widespread issue with the 897D?

                It looks that way.

                Notice that this last reported failure occurred while the user was
                using an end-fed wire (with tuner). If I'm not mistaken, the
                radiated field is most intense near the feed-point with this setup.
                My first failure occurred with a Maldol whip mounted directly on the
                rear antenna connector of the radio. The second occurred when using
                a quarter-wave vertical (with tuner) sitting immediately behind the
                radio. All these cases result in high RF fields AT THE RADIO.

                To "get away" from the antenna, I bought a Buddipole (inductively
                loaded dipole) which is placed on a 12-foot high mast and fed with a
                25-foot long coaxial cable. However, 12 feet of the coax is used
                just in reaching the ground, putting the feed-point only about 10
                feet from the radio. Then, getting complacent with the fact that all
                was apparently okay, I added longer whips to my rotatable dipole to
                increase its efficiency. When the last failure occurred, I had just
                rotated the dipole to an orientation that brought one end of the
                dipole right over my head (perhaps 6 to 8 feet from the radio) -
                DUMB!, DUMB!, DUMB! I've now added a 50-foot roll of coax to my
                travel kit to make sure that the radio stays much further from the
                antenna - HOWEVER IT'S TURNED!

                I've used my 897s quite a bit in the past on my regular "station
                antenna" (a 20m dipole perhaps 35 feet away) without any problems.
                It's much more convienient when operating "in the field" to have the
                antenna closeby. But when using the 897, I think the basic rule
                is: "STAY AS FAR AS POSSIBLE FROM THE ANTENNA!!"

                ...Don (K5BTK)
              • Per Hjorth Christiansen
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 4, 2007
                  Hi.

                  How much TX power did you use when this problem occour?

                  Vy 73 de oz1kad
                  Per

                  >Notice that this last reported failure occurred while the user was
                  >using an end-fed wire (with tuner). If I'm not mistaken, the radiated
                  >field is most intense near the feed-point with this setup.
                  >My first failure occurred with a Maldol whip mounted directly on the
                  >rear antenna connector of the radio. The second occurred when using a
                  >quarter-wave vertical (with tuner) sitting immediately behind the
                  >radio. All these cases result in high RF fields AT THE RADIO.
                  -snip-

                  --
                  Jeg beskyttes af den gratis SPAMfighter til privatbrugere.
                  Den har indtil videre sparet mig for at få 31 spam-mails.
                  Betalende brugere får ikke denne besked i deres e-mails.
                  Hent gratis SPAMfighter her: http://www.spamfighter.com/lda
                • k5btk
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
                    --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Per Hjorth Christiansen" <per@...> wrote:

                    > Hi.
                    >
                    > How much TX power did you use when this problem occour?
                    >
                    > Vy 73 de oz1kad
                    > Per

                    Hi, Per!
                    In my case, the power was 20 watts using the internal battery in the
                    first two failures (using the rear-panel whip and the quarter-wave
                    vertical immediately behind the radio). After I began using the rotary
                    dipole without problems (initially), I became overconfident. The last
                    failure was at 100 watts! ...Don (K5BTK)
                  • vr2ax
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
                      I checked the service manual and found that the following inductor
                      is in the PA Unit...

                      L0022391, coil, E2 0.45-1.4-4T-L

                      The failure mechanism for this problem may be more complicated than
                      it would appear!

                      Wyn, VR2AX