prototype gel cell charger pcbs

  • Mike Bryce
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2007
      boys...

      it's getting cold outside and the projects are starting.

      I just got in some new pcbs that hold a small gel battery charger.
      It's based on a LM317. There's a circuit that will allow you to
      charge your battery and run some gear at the same time. If the power
      fails, the battery takes over running the load. A resettable "chem
      fuse" protects the battery and charger.

      you can use either a terminal strip or plug in molex connectors to
      connect the pcb to a wall wart 16vac supply.

      There's nothing special about the circuit, you can use a lot of stuff
      out of the ol' junk box.

      nothing fancy... but will do 1.5 amps..

      BUT!!!

      I kinda of messed up a bit and laid out the pcb to hold a pcb mounted
      heat sink. However... I laid it out backwards!

      so the heat sink won't fit the pcb.. Rats!!

      the circuit works but you have to use a clip on heat sink now.

      any way.. if anyone wants one of the prototypes, they're $8 shipped

      the pcbs are about 3" square. Double sided, plated through holes,
      solder mask on both sides and a silk screen on the component side

      I'll include a schematic and part list.. too!

      Mike...

      Mike, WB8VGE
      SunLight Energy Systems
      The Heathkit Shop
      http://www.theheathkitshop.com/
      J e e p
      o|||||||o
      Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a
      large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

    • Laika1958
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2007
        It sounds exactly like something I've been looking for, but I've got a
        couple of questions?

        Can you share the circuit in the files section? Maybe with an
        explanation of how the circuit works? Maybe even write it up for QST?

        Can it supply a load > 1.5A from the battery while the charger's
        running? Can it charge a straight Lead-Acid deep cycle battery?

        Marc