Re: [FT897] Testing New Antenna Setup??

  • Dave Oldridge
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
      On 2 Sep 2007 at 22:07, Scott wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I'm in the process of installing a new Hustler model G6-270R
      > 2M/440
      > Antenna for my FT-897D I'm using LMR-400 low loss coax cable
      > from Ham
      > Radio Outlet and would like to know how to test the antenna
      > after
      > setup to make shure it's working and SWR is right and no cable
      > problem
      > has happend after installing.
      >
      > Can anyone please help ?
      >
      > Thanks for your help.

      My analyzer doesn't do UHF, so I just check the 2m performance.
      If that's good, the antenna will probably take power on both
      bands....

      Basically, unless you have a huge run of coax, you should see a
      low SWR on both bands.

      If you get that, then try working simplex and repeaters at 5 and
      2 watts and see how it plays. If it feels right, then dial up
      the power. I use a mobile (Larsen) dual-band antenna on my
      balcony rail and I regularly work simplex on 2m as much as 60
      miles, and repeaters further than that. Mind you, the repeaters
      around here tend to be situated on high mountains.

      --

      Dave Oldridge
      ICQ 1800667
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
        Hello Scott,
        If you have easy access to the antenna then
        disconnect the feeder, measure the SWR using
        low power [ make sure your radio will tolerate a
        bad match] , the SWR should be very high, full
        scale in fact. The lower the SWR the higher the
        loss in your feeder. Assuming a very high SWR,
        reconnect the feeder to the antenna and measure
        again, the SWR should now be very low. If it is, then
        your coax is fine.
        73 Ken g8beq.

      • K.Greenough
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
          As a further thought, if you can't get easy access
          to the antenna but have another radio on HF or 6m
          then feed low power on a band the antenna is NOT
          for and you should get a high SWR.
          73 Ken g8beq