Re: [FT897] Mike question

  • kc3vo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 4, 2007
      No, the FT-1000 uses a round threaded, screw on type connector, the FT-897
      is a flat, telephone-style push in plastic connector.-KC3VO, Bob.

    • K9ZTV
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 5, 2007
        The MD-100A8X microphone ships with a reversable cable that allows use
        with either Yaesu's 8-pin mic jack or Yaesu's modular mic jack. It's a
        great mic and I use it with both my FT-1000D/Quadra Amp and my FT-897.

        Yaesu/Vertex Standard is notorious for never answering emails which is
        just one of a plethora of reasons why I have bought my last Yaesu rig
        after 35 years of buying them. From now on it's Elecraft and Ten Tec
        for me.

        73,

        Kent K9ZTV

        Bill Carter wrote:

        > Anyone know if the mike from an FT 1000 is a direct plug in
        > for the FT 897. I know that I put a connector on a mike for
        > a Drake TR3 and that mike worked with Drakes and collins.
        > I just wonder if the Yaesu are mostly the same or different.
        > I have e-mailed VS for information on their microphones and
        > have got nothing from them.thanks
        > Bill kc9irr

      • Bill Carter
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 5, 2007
          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, kc3vo@... wrote:

          > No, the FT-1000 uses a round threaded, screw on type connector, the
          FT-897
          > is a flat, telephone-style push in plastic connector.-KC3VO, Bob.

          OK. Thanks
          Bill kc9irr
        • Michael Yancey
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 6, 2007
            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Carter" <billvet6@...> wrote:

            > Anyone know if the mike from an FT 1000 is a direct plug in
            > for the FT 897. I know that I put a connector on a mike for
            > a Drake TR3 and that mike worked with Drakes and collins.
            > I just wonder if the Yaesu are mostly the same or different.
            > I have e-mailed VS for information on their microphones and
            > have got nothing from them.thanks
            > Bill kc9irr

            You can probably solder up a 'converter pigtail'.
            I used a small bit of a cat-5 ethernet cable and used that
            to match up to an MD-1 mic (which is 8-pin, round).

            The pinout of both the FT-897 and the MD-1 are in a 'how-to'
            file I wrote up the Files section. It's easy to do and makes
            good use of a nice older mic.

            Mike Yancey
            KM5Z (ex: KE5EMA)
            Dallas, Texas
          • Bill Carter
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 8, 2007
              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Yancey" <mikeyancey@...> wrote:

              > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Carter" <billvet6@> wrote:

              FT 1000 is a direct plug in
              > > for the FT 897
              >
              > You can probably solder up a 'converter pigtail'.
              >
              > KM5Z (ex: KE5EMA)
              > Dallas, Texas

              Thank you for the respond. My friend got a MD-200A8X and offered his
              old microphone to me. I was not sure what it is but I THINK it is a
              MD-100-A8X. I think that it is the Yaesu mic and it has a reversible
              cable so it can work on the 857D. finally found a better discription
              on the Universal radio site.
              Bill kc9irr
            • Michael Yancey
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 9, 2007
                Oh, yeah - you'll enjoy that one. Once you setup the SSB / AM / FM mic
                gain you'll find the sound is very good.

                Mike Yancey
                KM5Z (ex: KE5EMA)
                Dallas, Texas

                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Carter" <billvet6@...> wrote:

                > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Yancey" <mikeyancey@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Carter" <billvet6@> wrote:
                > > >
                > FT 1000 is a direct plug in
                > > > for the FT 897
                > >
                > > You can probably solder up a 'converter pigtail'.
                > >
                > > KM5Z (ex: KE5EMA)
                > > Dallas, Texas
                > >
                > Thank you for the respond. My friend got a MD-200A8X and offered his
                > old microphone to me. I was not sure what it is but I THINK it is a
                > MD-100-A8X. I think that it is the Yaesu mic and it has a reversible
                > cable so it can work on the 857D. finally found a better discription
                > on the Universal radio site.
                > Bill kc9irr

              • Bill Carter
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
                  Turns out the mic my friend had was an MD1,with round
                  connector. We took the cable from his new MD-200A8X
                  mic
                  and put it on the MD1.The MD-100 and 200 come with
                  what they call a reversible cable.We took the cable
                  from the MD1 and put it on the MD200. The new mic's
                  come with both a round and a modular[I think that's
                  what those phone like plugs are called]connector on
                  the bass. So it worked out. The 2 outside buttons
                  don't work so I use the buttons on the radio for scan.
                  Now to get it adjusted right. Not sure where to set
                  the mic gain. Default 50.
                  Any suggestions? Thanks for all replies.
                  Bill
                  kc9irr

                  Jesus said go fishing; Luke 5:4

                  <>< <>< <>< <><

                  http://farechase.yahoo.com/
                • Bill Carter
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 14, 2007
                    --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Yancey" <mikeyancey@...> wrote:

                    > Oh, yeah - you'll enjoy that one. Once you setup the SSB / AM / FM mic
                    > gain you'll find the sound is very good.

                    It is a MD1. nice mic.I am not sure about setting the mic gain. I
                    started out using a Drake TR3,then went to a Kenwood TS 130S and I
                    knew how to set the gain on those. I have not mastered the multitude
                    of settings on the 897D. Any suggestions for a starting point for
                    settings.
                    I would be interested in what others are using for settings.
                    thanks
                    Bill KC9IRR
                    Oh I forgot.I ordered a LDG AT 897 yesterday.I think I'll like that
                    better than what I am using.
                  • Michael Yancey
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 15, 2007
                      OH - I misread or something. That's the exact mic I have.
                      Got it from an equipment sale at our club. VERY nice mic, and
                      I've received very good audio reports.

                      Just check on Page 30 of the manual (PDF if you don't have the
                      original paper booklet). The page tells you each key/button
                      to press, but basically:

                      1. Set the meter to ALC
                      2. Press PTT and talk in a NORMAL (not shouting, not low, voice)
                      3. The IDEAL level is with a FEW segments of ALC indication on
                      the meter. Not all the way to the right; not just one segment
                      from the left.
                      4. If it's not (what the manual calls...) a FEW - move the
                      SSB Mic gain up or down accordingly.
                      5. Lather, Rinse, Repeat (2 - 4 until you get maybe 4 to 6
                      tick-marks or segments on the ALC meter).

                      You'll probably want to do the same for FM Mic Gain too (Page
                      34 in the booklet). Instructions tell you to set the meter to
                      'DEVIATION' rather than ALC, but the procedure is the same -
                      they want you to adjust the FM Mic Gain 'til you see about 8
                      'bars' or ticks on the meter ON VOICE PEAKS and less for 'normal'
                      voice.

                      The default settings, if I remember correctly for SSB, was 50
                      and is way too high. Once you set these for this mic, you won't
                      have to do it again.

                      I'm using the MD-1C and I think I'm using about 20 on SSB gain,
                      maybe 10 PROC level.

                      I thought the menus would be very difficult, but actually, once
                      you setup a few basic items, you really only use a few settings
                      (based on your habits). Most of the common menu items are 'PRESS
                      AND HOLD' to get to the details - make your change - then you
                      back out. If I'm on SSB, I usually am at the first menu
                      (A/B, A=B, SPLIT)...

                      Mike Yancey
                      KM5Z

                      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Carter" <billvet6@...> wrote:

                      > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Yancey" <mikeyancey@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Oh, yeah - you'll enjoy that one. Once you setup the SSB / AM / FM mic
                      > > gain you'll find the sound is very good.
                      >

                      > It is a MD1. nice mic.I am not sure about setting the mic gain. I
                      > started out using a Drake TR3,then went to a Kenwood TS 130S and I
                      > knew how to set the gain on those. I have not mastered the multitude
                      > of settings on the 897D. Any suggestions for a starting point for
                      > settings.
                      > I would be interested in what others are using for settings.
                      > thanks
                      > Bill KC9IRR
                      > Oh I forgot.I ordered a LDG AT 897 yesterday.I think I'll like that
                      > better than what I am using.

                    • Bill Carter
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 16, 2007
                        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Yancey" <mikeyancey@...> wrote:

                        > OH - I misread or something. That's the exact mic I have.

                        Oh, yeah - you'll enjoy that one. Once you setup the SSB / AM / FM mic
                        gain you'll find the sound is very good.

                        > > It is a MD1.

                        Thanks Michail, VERY helpful info. 73
                        Bill KC9IRR