Re: TX Error

  • g8hul
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Andy Williams <andy.williams3@...>
      wrote:

      > Now that¹s an interesting comment.
      >
      > This is supposed to be the ultimate portable rig. I asked for
      something I
      > could take camping, erect for a weekend or so and do some radio. I
      was given
      > a vehicle trap foot with 4 5ft swaged poles, an atbk counterpoise,
      an atas
      > 120, an ldg897, a diamond duplexer, a long piece of coax with a
      clamp for
      > the pole and a 259 plug mount for the atas, and the ft897 with
      batteries and
      > a charger. I did not research or spec any of the items other than
      the
      > definition of high portability and independence. My mistake for
      being so
      > vauge.
      >
      > What I found was, that if I earthed the ft897 to ground I could
      get the
      > LDG897 to tune to zero SWR for 144 and 433, this was a short wire
      and a tent
      > peg. It has been exceptionally wet here in the UK for the 2 weeks I
      was
      > away. I made contacts on 7mhz 14mhz as well as 144 and 433 through
      > repeaters.
      >
      > Andy

      Andy

      I think you need to understand the equipment that you have purchased
      a little more thoroughly.

      The ATAS 120 is primarily a mobile antenna that covers HF, from 7MHz
      up, 144 & 433MHZ bands, and works when mounted on a vehicle, which
      provides a groundplane.

      The ATBK Counterpoise allows the ATAS120 to work on 144 & 433, but
      not on HF, when not mounted on a vehicle.

      To get the ATAS120 to work on HF off of a vehicle you need to add a
      groundplane or long counterpoise wire, possibly more than one
      counterpoise if you want to work on more than one band.

      When set up correctly the motor in the ATAS 120 will tune the aerial
      to the correct position for hf, or fuly retracted for vhf/uhf. No
      external ATU is needed.

      The LDG897 is used if for example you were to sling a dipole or a
      G5RV from your mast, as you say it is not designed for use on
      vhf/uhf, and indeed you should not need it.

      When using the ATAS120 you should be able to just press the Tune soft
      key and the ATAS120 will move up and down and tune for min VSWR.

      73
      Jeff
    • Andy Williams
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
        Thanks Jeff

        I will try the long wire counterpoise dangling from the mast next time I¹m
        out.

        The ATBK has 4 elements 1 medium and one short plain element and 2 identical
        long elements with built in coils. I assumed the 4 elements gave full
        coverage across the whole ATAS 120.

        Just shows how much I have to learn on my 2E0 licence (I took both exams at
        the same time). I love the new hobby, it has ,for me, the perfect blend of
        practical and theoretical. Its the thrill of the chase and discovery. I am
        like a cheshire cat :)

        Thanks for all the help

        Andy

      • g8hul
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
          wrote:

          > Thanks Jeff
          >
          > I will try the long wire counterpoise dangling from the mast next
          time I¹m
          > out.
          >
          > The ATBK has 4 elements 1 medium and one short plain element and 2
          identical
          > long elements with built in coils. I assumed the 4 elements gave
          full
          > coverage across the whole ATAS 120.
          >
          > Just shows how much I have to learn on my 2E0 licence (I took both
          exams at
          > the same time). I love the new hobby, it has ,for me, the perfect
          blend of
          > practical and theoretical. Its the thrill of the chase and
          discovery. I am
          > like a cheshire cat :)
          >
          > Thanks for all the help
          >
          > Andy

          Hi Andy

          Try a counterpoise wire 1/4 wavelength long on the band that you wish
          to operate on. If you are vert lucky the mast might work on as a
          counterpoise on one band.

          73
          Jeff