PSK31 CW or DSP filter question

  • James Wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2007
      The 20 meter band was hot tonight and I found another limitation of my station then another feature of my station. I hope this might help someone. I had 2 or 3 booming stations on PSK and several weak stations. The AGC on my radio was being hit by the stronger stations. Normally I would use the IF/Shift feature of my radio to tune out one side of the PSK frequency. However there was more then one station surrounding my DX station, Russia.

      I was thinking about purchasing a CW filter, then I did a crazy thing and looked in the manual. I know crazy. Anyways I found the DBF filter was just what the doctor ordered. I set the HPF to 1000HZ then the LPF to ~ 1300 HZ. Then turned on the DBF filter. I then used the VFO knob to find a quite part of the band and called CQ DX. Within a minute of calling CQ DX OE6GRG popped up responding to my call. The end result was me getting Europe for the first time and with several loud stations.

      Compared to $4k radios this is kind of kludgy but it works. If you have any questions let me know.

      73, K6WRJ James

      P.S. If your wondering why I posted to the both FT-857 group and the FT-897, it's because I am the happy owner of both Radios.