Using the FT-897 + ATAS120 at home

  • John Crane
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2003
      Last weekend I set up my FT-897 and ATAS120 for use at home and
      learned some things about this configuration that I thought might be
      of use to others. I made use of a spare mag-mount base (it was
      handy) rather than trying to mount the antenna to the gutter with a
      mobile mount (also less expensive). As it turns out, my gutters are
      fibre, not metal, so the "mag" property of the mount is irrelevant -
      it just acts as a heavy base. Automatic tuning seemed to work fine
      except I couldn't get an SWR "dip" on 40 meters. All other bands
      loaded up fine. Signal reports are what you'd expect from a mobile
      antenna being used in this way - acceptable, but not super. I added
      2 20-foot counterpoises (at 180 degrees from each other) which now
      allowed proper SWR loading for 40 meters, but now 20 meters no good.
      Cutting each counterpoise to 10 feet did the trick. All bands load up
      properly and signal reports are much better than without the
      counterpoises. BTW, the counterpoises were just made from AC lamp
      cord, wrapped around the barrel of the SO-239 connector and extended
      out in each direction. I can now, easily, unscrew the ATAS-120 from
      this arrangement on my house and onto the mount on my car in about 1
      minute - bingo - base to mobile operation! 73!
    • Al Allum
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2003
        Hi,

        John, I have done basically the same thing with the ATAS 120, however, I
        have just built, for a few dollars, a Buddypole antenna that will far out
        perform the ATAS120 as a portable. Go to
        http://www.qsl.net/w3ff/antenna_design.htm to see plans. I still like the
        ATAS120 for a mobile all band antenna.

        Have fun with it.

        A, N8ARO

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2003
          Hello Al,
          Thanks for the link and info. I actually don't use this setup
          for "portable" or "walkabout" use, only home and auto-mobile. For
          walkabout portable use, I have an FT-817 that I use with a "toss it
          over a tree" dipole and sloper setup. Not as much power, but still a
          lot of fun. For many years I only worked VHF/UHF, but I'm finding out
          that playing with various antenna arrangements is a lot of fun on HF.
          Again, thanks for the reply. 73! John (KD6JUH) and Janae (KG6CVF)
          Crane.