Smartuner Question

  • Terry Dettmann - SGC
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2003
      We tested the FT-897 and found that while it might drop power when the
      coupler had to make a really major change, everything worked well. Here is a
      link to a report on your results:

      http://www.sgcworld.com/Newsletter/Dec02/SGCTests.html

      The tuner will continue until it reaches to lowest SWR it can manage, 1:1 if
      possible.

      I have used the SG239 on long and short antennas. On short antennas, it
      needs to be nearer to resonance or higher in frequency. I've run a whip
      dipole (about 10 foot legs) on 80-10 successfully. Results will vary with
      the antenna, your need for RF Grounding (and of course the quality of your
      RF ground if you need it). For shorter antennas, we usually recommend the
      SG237, but people have used the 239 in cars and elsewhere.

      You can find comparative information on the couplers at

      http://www.sgcworld.com/products/Couplers/family_features.htm#specs

      Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions.

      Terry
      WX7S
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2003
        Terry
        Having just this week bought the FT897 and a SGC297 I would very much appreciate your recommendation for simple counterpoises for the 80m,40m,20m,15m,12m, 10m, amateur bands for short duration field operation.
        i.e vehicle mounted whip antenna operated when parked up.
        (Military Landrover at shows)( and for Scouting events.
        Many books give info on antenna /aerial elements but not many on counterpoises.
        73 and many thanks
        Rex G0CLR