Re: ARRL review posted on their site

  • jimplasticguy
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
      Folks,

      I am a relatively unexperienced person in these matters, but are you
      all taking the first paragraph out of context? The paragraph
      immediately following states that the pre-production product had
      these problems. It goes on to say that "Subsequent units,
      representative of those currently on the market, performed quite well
      on the ARRL lab bench..." Hey, I just bought one of these and believe
      me, do not want it to be "broke." I just don't read the article that
      way. What am I not seeing?

      Maybe I am missing something. I just wanted to make sure that those
      who are not subscribed don't make any rash decisions based on our
      paraphrasing.

      Thanks,

      Jim H
    • Valveman
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
        That's what it says:
        The first units had problems. These problems have been addressed in the new units.

        jimplasticguy <jimplasticguy@...> wrote:Folks,

        I am a relatively unexperienced person in these matters, but are you
        all taking the first paragraph out of context? The paragraph
        immediately following states that the pre-production product had
        these problems. It goes on to say that "Subsequent units,
        representative of those currently on the market, performed quite well
        on the ARRL lab bench..." Hey, I just bought one of these and believe
        me, do not want it to be "broke." I just don't read the article that
        way. What am I not seeing?

        Maybe I am missing something. I just wanted to make sure that those
        who are not subscribed don't make any rash decisions based on our
        paraphrasing.

        Thanks,

        Jim H

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • dietmarfichter
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Valveman <valveman_6146@y...> wrote:

          > That's what it says:
          > The first units had problems. These problems have been addressed
          in the new units.

          > jimplasticguy <jimplasticguy@h...> wrote:Folks,
          >
          > I am a relatively unexperienced person in these matters, but are
          you
          > all taking the first paragraph out of context? The paragraph
          > immediately following states that the pre-production product had
          > these problems. It goes on to say that "Subsequent units,
          > representative of those currently on the market, performed quite
          well
          > on the ARRL lab bench..." Hey, I just bought one of these and
          believe
          > me, do not want it to be "broke." I just don't read the article
          that
          > way. What am I not seeing?
          >
          > Maybe I am missing something. I just wanted to make sure that
          those
          > who are not subscribed don't make any rash decisions based on our
          > paraphrasing.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Jim H

          Jim, what your are saying is correct. Someone please correct me if I
          am wrong, I interrperted the published numbers to be of the new
          units as ARRL stated that the new units performed relatively well.

          Dietmar
          VE3CG
        • w4wb
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
            The first unit he had was the 104th production unit. It was in Lot
            01 and made in June 2002. The one he tested was Lot 12 and made in
            Dec 2002. Depending upon who gets what, you will see lots 08 and on
            being sold by dealers at present.
            73,
            Barry - W4WB

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Valveman <valveman_6146@y...> wrote:

            > That's what it says:
            > The first units had problems. These problems have been addressed
            in the new units.

          • n0gv
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
              I am likewise concerned by those numbers -- particularly if it is to be used as a base unit. On the other hand you will get loads longer battery life out of this puppy with 0.9A recieve current and about 4.5A Xmit (20 watts) on battery power....

              Another number which is less than sterling is the xmit IMD which is -23dB(carrier)!!!!! BAD, BAD, BAD!!!! 100 Watts Carrier = 0.5 Watts of IMD!!!! SPLATTER City! Really the IMD products are only 3 S-units below the PEP tones!!!!!

              I'll keep my ft-847 and 1000D I guess but the 1000D as a mobile is just not happening ;-)

              Grover Larkins
              N0GV
            • w4cng
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 1, 2003
                You need to read current info, posted here. The production units do
                better than the PRE-production radio that was reviewed by ARRL. Some
                of the specs would not pass muster to be released for SALE in the
                USA. Do not ask me for the numbers, you should be smart enough to
                know or go and find and read them for your self. My FT-897 passes
                Muster. Get out of the PAST and into the current time.
                Steve W4CNG

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 2, 2003
                  Steve,

                  The unit tested by ARRL and reported in the article was from Lot 12
                  (manufacture date of Dec 2002) which is among to most recent units.
                  It isn't a pre-production unit. He mentioned that they first tested
                  an early unit (Lot 01 he told me) which had problems. The numbers he
                  reported are for the Lot 12 unit (see top of Table 1) and are likely
                  representative of the current production.

                  73,
                  barry - W4WB

                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "w4cng" <w4cng@a...> wrote:
                  > You need to read current info, posted here. The production units
                  do
                  > better than the PRE-production radio that was reviewed by ARRL.
                  Some
                  > of the specs would not pass muster to be released for SALE in the
                  > USA. Do not ask me for the numbers, you should be smart enough to
                  > know or go and find and read them for your self. My FT-897 passes
                  > Muster. Get out of the PAST and into the current time.
                  > Steve W4CNG
                  >
                  > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "n0gv" <n0gv@y...> wrote:
                  > > I am likewise concerned by those numbers -- particularly if it is
                  > to be used as a base unit. On the other hand you will get loads
                  > longer battery life out of this puppy with 0.9A recieve current and
                  > about 4.5A Xmit (20 watts) on battery power....

                • Paulo Ferreira
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 2, 2003
                    >Steve,
                    >
                    >The unit tested by ARRL and reported in the article was from Lot 12
                    >(manufacture date of Dec 2002) which is among to most recent units.
                    >It isn't a pre-production unit. He mentioned that they first tested
                    >an early unit (Lot 01 he told me) which had problems. The numbers he
                    >reported are for the Lot 12 unit (see top of Table 1) and are likely
                    >representative of the current production.
                    >
                    >73,
                    >barry - W4WB

                    Has anyone seen the March 2003 edition of "Funkamateur"?
                    They have a review of the Ft-897 ( in german of course ).

                    What does it say? ( translated to english )?

                    Greetings

                    Paulo Ferreira CT2ILQ

                    Paulo Ferreira paf@...
                  • pd1ald
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 2, 2003
                      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "w4wb" <w4wb@a...> wrote:
                      > The first unit he had was the 104th production unit. It was in
                      Lot
                      > 01 and made in June 2002. The one he tested was Lot 12 and made
                      in
                      > Dec 2002. Depending upon who gets what, you will see lots 08 and
                      on
                      > being sold by dealers at present.
                      > 73,
                      > Barry - W4WB

                      Last Saturday, I bought a lot 7 radio (number 2N07....) , in
                      Germany. Should I expect any problems?

                      Rene
                    • pd1ald
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 2, 2003
                        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Paulo Ferreira <PAF@D...> wrote:

                        > Has anyone seen the March 2003 edition of "Funkamateur"?
                        > They have a review of the Ft-897 ( in german of course ).
                        >
                        > What does it say? ( translated to english )?

                        I have both the Funkamateur and the Funk. What do you want to know?

                        Rene
                      • Paulo Ferreira
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 3, 2003
                          >--- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Paulo Ferreira <PAF@D...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Has anyone seen the March 2003 edition of "Funkamateur"?
                          >> They have a review of the Ft-897 ( in german of course ).
                          >>
                          >> What does it say? ( translated to english )?
                          >
                          >I have both the Funkamateur and the Funk. What do you want to know?
                          >
                          >Rene

                          What do they say about RX performance and intermod ?
                          Thanks
                          73
                          Paulo Ferreira CT2ILQ

                          Paulo Ferreira paf@...
                        • pd1ald
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 3, 2003
                            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Paulo Ferreira <PAF@D...> wrote:
                            > >--- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Paulo Ferreira <PAF@D...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > >> Has anyone seen the March 2003 edition of "Funkamateur"?
                            > >> They have a review of the Ft-897 ( in german of course ).
                            > >>
                            > >> What does it say? ( translated to english )?
                            > >
                            > >I have both the Funkamateur and the Funk. What do you want to
                            know?

                            > >Rene
                            > >
                            > What do they say about RX performance and intermod ?
                            > Thanks
                            > 73
                            > Paulo Ferreira CT2ILQ

                            In the magazine 'Funkamateur': nothing. In magazine 'Funk':

                            14 MHz, IP3 = -26dBm (5kHz), -4dBm (20kHz), 14dBm (200kHz)

                            14 MHz, IP3 (effective) = -40 dBm (5kHz), -18dBm (20kHz), 0dBm
                            (200kHz)

                            Carrier suppression:

                            -43dBc (20m), -37dBc (2m), -50dBc (70cm)

                            Sideband suppression:

                            -53dBc (20m), -52dBc (2m), -53dBc (70cm)

                            Rene
                          • willyacht
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 5, 2003
                              All i can say is that the FT897 receiver numbers have been one of the
                              worst set of numbers i have seen in a long time. I am quite shocked
                              that the radio measured so poorly. The receiver performance numbers
                              remind of some of the very early SSB ham gear from 60's. What is also
                              disapointing is the transmitter IMD, the 3rd and 5th order products
                              are very bad. It is in the CB radio class for transmitter performance.
                              I was quite impressed with the physical construction of the unit but
                              i would never buy it with those measured results. With a 100 watts
                              you would be tempted to use it with a amplifier, but i would not
                              launch this beast on a busy band its too dirty.

                              Many people dont care about numbers, but this radio is a shocker. I
                              really thought Yaesu would have done a better job than this. I mean
                              the old standard of radios from 20 years ago like TS4XX series, the
                              Icom 735 series etc are radios that are now almost 25 years old, yet
                              they set a better performance standards than the FT897. The receiver
                              if the numbers are correct would be no better than most of the
                              terrible wide band scanners with shortwave bands on them, even simple
                              receivers like the Sangean 909 or Radio Shack 398 have numbers which
                              are similar to the FT897. Its a shame because in reality the FT897
                              would have been radio that would suited many people who were beyond
                              radios like FT817, it would could have been a all round standbye for
                              for most kinds of operation.

                              I will be looking closely at what the German CQDL report says about
                              the receiver, likewise the RSGB. Because to me for a modern radio the
                              FT897 sets all new overall lousy performance benchmark for modern
                              radios. I am only talking about the measured figures and nothing
                              else. Others might be happy with the radios functional package. Its
                              amazing that a radio like Elecraft K2 using older design techniques
                              can beat the pants off most radios. Considering that one can buy off
                              the shelf mixers with intercept points of +30dbm why Yaesu choose to
                              set the performance benchmark so low has got me perplexed. If this is
                              the trend for modern radios i think we all going to be fighting each
                              other collecting good radios from the 80's or we will all be building
                              radios like the K2.

                              Will

                              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "pd1ald" <pd1ald@p...> wrote:
                              > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Paulo Ferreira <PAF@D...> wrote:

                              > > >I have both the Funkamateur and the Funk. What do you want to
                              > know?
                              > > >
                              > > >Rene
                              > > >
                              > > What do they say about RX performance and intermod ?
                              > > Thanks
                              > > 73
                              > > Paulo Ferreira CT2ILQ
                              >
                              > In the magazine 'Funkamateur': nothing. In magazine 'Funk':
                              >
                              > 14 MHz, IP3 = -26dBm (5kHz), -4dBm (20kHz), 14dBm (200kHz)
                              >
                              > 14 MHz, IP3 (effective) = -40 dBm (5kHz), -18dBm (20kHz), 0dBm
                              > (200kHz)
                              >

                              > Carrier suppression:
                              >
                              > -43dBc (20m), -37dBc (2m), -50dBc (70cm)
                              >
                              > Sideband suppression:
                              >
                              > -53dBc (20m), -52dBc (2m), -53dBc (70cm)
                              >

                              > Rene
                            • Bill Terry
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 5, 2003
                                The RGSB (Radcomm) confirms the ARRL review. Nice
                                portable radio but the receiver could be better.
                                Bill K4BYR

                                http://tax.yahoo.com
                              • Cortland
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 5, 2003
                                  That -24 dBm is at 5 KHz, not the usual 20 KHz. It's 1.3 dBm (20
                                  meters), not spectacular, but not as bad as the 1960's stuff, at 20
                                  KHz. (VHF/UHF is much worse.)

                                  Here's what the review in QST says: "......Compare this 5 KHz
                                  measurement to Yaesu's other recent 100 W radio with a handle, the
                                  high-end and much heavier FT-1000 MP Mark V Field, and you will find
                                  similar performance. For a radio of its price class, the FT-897 does
                                  a very nice job of pulling out the weak ones in the presence of
                                  strong ones."

                                  3rd order transmit IMD in the ARRL review IS a bit disappointing,
                                  tested as -26dB at 50 watts PEP, but I suspect this may be related to
                                  the often mentioned audio problem at less than 100 watts --- which is
                                  also said to go away if the RF speech processor is turned on with a
                                  setting of 10 or so.

                                  Cortland

                                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "willyacht" <willyacht@y...> wrote:
                                  > All i can say is that the FT897 receiver numbers have been one of
                                  the
                                  > worst set of numbers i have seen in a long time. I am quite shocked
                                  > that the radio measured so poorly. The receiver performance numbers
                                  > remind of some of the very early SSB ham gear from 60's. What is
                                • kb0cj
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 5, 2003
                                    After reading the review, I looked at the specs for the FT-100D.
                                    Amazing difference. The older radio's front end kills the 897, as
                                    does the price now that it is a discontinued unit. I was in the
                                    market for an 897 for portable use (non-battery), but after reading
                                    the specs for the 897 it is no longer on my radar screen.

                                    Lou, KB0CJ

                                    --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "willyacht" <willyacht@y...> wrote:
                                    > All i can say is that the FT897 receiver numbers have been one of
                                    the
                                    > worst set of numbers i have seen in a long time. I am quite shocked
                                    > that the radio measured so poorly. The receiver performance numbers
                                    > remind of some of the very early SSB ham gear from 60's. What is
                                    also
                                    > disapointing is the transmitter IMD, the 3rd and 5th order products
                                    > are very bad. It is in the CB radio class for transmitter
                                    performance.

                                    <<<snip>>>
                                  • Cortland
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 5, 2003
                                      Yeah.. heh heh!

                                      I'd passed on the FT100 because everything I'd heard on them was,
                                      they were about the same as a 706.

                                      Have fun!

                                      Cortland