Re: [FT897] Need Information on how to use Dual VFOs / Split Frequency

  • kd4e
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2007
      If you can set the VFO's on two separate bands can
      you operate split across bands?

      Satellite ops often are across bands so I am guessing
      that is an option -- does that option extend to any
      HF frequency to any HF, VHF, or UHF frequency?

      Does the FT-897/857 have the ability to do cross band
      repeat, say 440 in and 10 or 40M out, then 10 or 40M
      in and 440 out?

      --

      Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E
      Projects: http://ham-macguyver.bibleseven.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2007
        Mike,
        I think Brandon covered the purpose of operating splits quite well.
        Typically splits are used when a DX station is working large pileups.
        The DX station will transmit on one frequency and then listen on
        another. This allows the DX station to pick out the station it wants to
        respond to and then respond without having all of the other stations
        drowning his signal out. You would set VFO A to the frequency the DX
        station is transmiting on and VFO B to the frequency the DX is
        listening on. In most cases the DX station will identify itself and
        then say "up 5". This means he is listening 5 khz up from his
        transmitting frequency. To set up split operation refer to page 38 of
        your operating manual. It's spelled out very well.
        73's Jim, AB8JR

      • billwa4mjm@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
          897 (not D) with tuner, batteries, charger, internal pwr supply. Love
          the radio/my laptop died. Need a laptop more than I need the radio.
          contact me if interested. Bill
[...]

          from AOL at AOL.com.
        • ab8jr
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2007
            Doc,
            They are separate VFO's and you can do cross band splits. depending
            on the frequencies you're using, you may have to turn off the
            automatic offsets. Cross banding is great for satellite operations.
            Cross band repeater operation is different. I haven't tried on my 897
            but it should work. you would set the receive frequency on VFO A and
            receive on VFO B. To key the repeater you would also have to set the
            correct tone to key the repeater.
            73's Jim, AB8JR

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, kd4e <kd4e@...> wrote:

            > If you can set the VFO's on two separate bands can
            > you operate split across bands?
            >
            > Satellite ops often are across bands so I am guessing
            > that is an option -- does that option extend to any
            > HF frequency to any HF, VHF, or UHF frequency?
            >
            > Does the FT-897/857 have the ability to do cross band
            > repeat, say 440 in and 10 or 40M out, then 10 or 40M
            > in and 440 out?
            >
            > > The dual VFOs have two purposes. One is to allow quick QSY (e. g.
            > > having VFO A on 80m and VFO B on 10m and jumping between them). I
            > > often have VFO A on HF and VFO B on VHF. That way I can jump
            quickly
            > > between those two ranges. The second purpose is to allow split
            > > frequency operation (transmitting on one frequency and receiving
            on
            > > another). DX stations often operate in split frequency mode when
            > > working pileups. For example, a DX station might be transmitting
            on
            > > 7.070 LSB (where US hams do not have phone privileges) and
            receiving
            > > on 7.200 LSB (where phone is legal for US amateurs). Split mode
            is
            > > also used on some rigs to operate 10m repeaters (the 897 has auto
            > > offset for 10m repeaters so it isn't necessary to use the split
            > > feature for that mode).
            > >
            > > Basically the dual VFOs are an operating convenience but are
            > > necessary in order to work stations that are operating split.
            > >
            > > mrmsudawgs <mrmsudawgs@...>
            >

            > --
            >
            > Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E
            > Projects: http://ham-macguyver.bibleseven.com
            > Personal: http://bibleseven.com

          • Dennis
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 4, 2007
              As stated, you would need to set VFO 'A' for one freq. and set VFO 'B'
              for the other. Then select the 'Split' menu on the ABC menu display.
              That should get you into split mode. I use the split option for
              working the ISS (up on 2m - down on 70cm) and it work well!

              Hope you figure it out!

              Dennis - N8BMB