High Fidelity mic

  • kaboona
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2007
      Hello, I have a high end microphone (capacitor) that I would like to somehow hook up to my
      897D. Does anyone know if there is a XLR-to-yaesu interface anywhere? Maybe some
      schematics?

      thanks in advance.

      Jim
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
        It can be done, but why? The radio isn't hi-fi, it won't really sound
        better enough to make it worth the time and expense.

        Keith K1LDS

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "kaboona" <kaboona@...> wrote:

        > Hello, I have a high end microphone (capacitor) that I would like to
        somehow hook up to my
        > 897D. Does anyone know if there is a XLR-to-yaesu interface
        anywhere? Maybe some
        > schematics?
        >
        > thanks in advance.
        >
        > Jim

      • dazcaz
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
          Have a look at Heil Sound.
          Most Heil mice have XLR connections on the rear. You buy the mic and
          the cable seperately.
          Heil sell cables for most rigs.
          Just be careful that they are wired the same as the Heil cable also
          carries the PTT circuit.
          I doubt if the cable anything that special. I'm sure with the right
          bits and a wiring diagram you could knock something up.
          Don't forget that the rig end is a standard RJ-45 connection, so leads
          are easily and cheaply bought, just don't buy a crossover cable.

          Darren
          GW7HOC MW5HOC
        • lm3ri
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "kaboona" <kaboona@...> wrote:

            > Hello, I have a high end microphone (capacitor) that I would like
            to someh.ow hook up to my
            > 897D. Does anyone know if there is a XLR-to-yaesu interface
            anywhere? Maybe some
            > schematics?
            >
            > thanks in advance.
            >
            > Jim

            I, too am looking to hook up a high end mike and/or an equalizer,
            but have yet to succeed. The Data input on the back will not work on
            SSB or AM, and any direct connection through the mike input drives
            the radio nuts.
            Yes, the radio is not HIFI, but where is the fun if we cannot
            experiment?

            Leeds
            WA1GJF
            Bristol, RI

          • Jim Fuller
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
              > I, too am looking to hook up a high end mike and/or an equalizer,
              > but have yet to succeed. The Data input on the back will not work on
              > SSB or AM, and any direct connection through the mike input drives
              > the radio nuts.
              > Yes, the radio is not HIFI, but where is the fun if we cannot
              > experiment?
              >
              > Leeds
              > WA1GJF
              > Bristol, RI

              Check out the Behringer XENYX 502 (UB-502) mixer. There are reviews on
              www.eham.net . This has an XLR input and an unbalanced output that can be fed
              into the 897's mic socket after the level is suitably reduced by the mixer's ouput-level
              control. However, one needs to be careful about RFI getting into the equipment;
              some people add a 1:1 audio transformer or W2IHY ibox before the input to the rig's
              mic socket.

              http://www.w4lgh.com/audio.htm
              http://www.behringer.com/502/index.cfm?lang=ENG
              http://w2ihy.com/ibox.asp

              Jim
              G4WPI
              Wiltshire, UK
            • Ggiant_59
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
                > I, too am looking to hook up a high end mike and/or an equalizer,
                > but have yet to succeed. The Data input on the back will not work on
                > SSB or AM, and any direct connection through the mike input drives
                > the radio nuts.
                > Yes, the radio is not HIFI, but where is the fun if we cannot
                > experiment?
                >
                > Leeds
                > WA1GJF
                > Bristol, RI

                Check out the Behringer XENYX 502 (UB-502) mixer and its relatives. There are reviews on
                http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3725 . This has an XLR input and an unbalanced output

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
                  Thanks for the suggestion Darren. That is exactly what caught my
                  attention. I was at HRO on Saturday and they have a display of Heil
                  microphones. It was funny that they sounded exactly like the one I
                  have. I will have to check their cables out. I would imagine they use
                  the XLR input.

                  thanks again,
                  regards,

                  Jim
                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "dazcaz" <gw7hoc@...> wrote:

                  > Have a look at Heil Sound.
                  > Most Heil mice have XLR connections on the rear. You buy the mic and
                  > the cable seperately.
                  > Heil sell cables for most rigs.
                  > Just be careful that they are wired the same as the Heil cable also
                  > carries the PTT circuit.
                  > I doubt if the cable anything that special. I'm sure with the right
                  > bits and a wiring diagram you could knock something up.
                  > Don't forget that the rig end is a standard RJ-45 connection, so leads
                  > are easily and cheaply bought, just don't buy a crossover cable.
                  >
                  > Darren
                  > GW7HOC MW5HOC

                • taylorgresham
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
                    I'll echo Darren's comment. I use the Heil Pro Headset. The adapter
                    I bought with it will take any mike with a standard headset plug (the
                    full 1/4 inch version). Since my TenTec gear uses that config for
                    it's mikes, I've been able to use any of my mikes on the 897D.

                    Now if I only had something worthwhile to say in high fidelity...

                    Patrick
                    WA7PAT