Re:PLEASE ! need help about filter

  • Chris Hill
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1 5:03 AM
      I understand your dilemma. I bought the INRAD filter and put it in when I received the radio from HRO. I wish I had some before/ after reports. I have heard from some folks that say they can't really tell a difference when they install the filters. If I had it to do over, I would run the radio for a while without the filter, if performance was adequate, I'd forget about the filter.

    • va4gak2000
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1 7:51 PM
        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hill" <joanandchris@...> wrote:

        > I understand your dilemma. I bought the INRAD filter and put it in
        when I received the radio from HRO. I wish I had some before/ after
        reports. I have heard from some folks that say they can't really tell
        a difference when they install the filters. If I had it to do over, I
        would run the radio for a while without the filter, if performance was
        adequate, I'd forget about the filter.
        > I Use the Collin 2.3 Mich SSB filter and have used it when I got this
        Wrig 1 year ago. I will admit you see very little difference however on
        contest pile up and many stations trying to make contact it seems work
        or help. I have seen something on filter I think on Mod page that
        measured there is little better help with the Collins filter. I also
        use the GAP hear it speaker with DSP in it and this helps get wrid as
        much hash as one can. Good investment. Over all wrig works sounds as
        good as any radio on the air.
        73
        Gerald A. Kocha
        VA3GAK

      • Bob Poortinga
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2 7:05 AM
          > I will admit you see very little difference however on
          > contest pile up and many stations trying to make contact it seems work
          > or help. I have seen something on filter I think on Mod page that
          > measured there is little better help with the Collins filter.

          The mechanical filter has slightly lower frequency bandpass than the
          ceramic filter so it cuts a little more high frequency noise which is
          barely noticable. The big difference to me between the mechanical and
          ceramic filters is when you use IF shift (hold the Clarifier key down
          for one second). The mechanical filter has much sharper skirts in its
          frequency response which seems to make the IF shift more effective.

          --
          Bob Poortinga K9SQL
          Bloomington, Indiana US