Re: [FT897] FT897 - Basic Setup - Mike Gain

  • Johnny Burroughs
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2006
      Start with the tone switch at the back of the mike...assuming of course that
      you have the european version of the rig. Position 1 is more for the
      japanese regions . Position 2 for the rest

      See Note 2 on Page 30 if the operating manual

      73, Johnny
      ZR6baj

      --
      73 de Johnny, ZR6BAJ
      zr6baj@...

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
        MIC=2
        005=60
        037=100
        048=BOTH
        051=100
        059=NOR
        074=85
        081=85

      • Jochen - DG2IAQ
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2006
          Hello Eric.

          I'm nearly sure you speak about SSB only !?

          Here the fault can be that the BIAS of the RF predriver, driver an PA
          stage is not properly aligned (..even by the factory).

          The result would be a "scratchy" SSB modulation. Like you have a
          little "cold" and have some problems with the throat, ..hihi.

          Is this exactly the description of your problem !?

          -> Just look at "www.mods.dk/Yaesu/FT-897" at my "DG2IAQ Modification
          Sheet". Here you might find some useful informations about the proper
          settings or alignment of the FT-857/897 (..the same sometimes occur
          at the FT-817 as well, as the used technique and circuits are real
          close to each other).

          I'm QRV quite seldom, but it's funny that I'm actually even able to
          "hear" and tell people that their TRX is a FT-857 or FT-897. When
          they ask me, how I could know that (cause they never told me), I tell
          them that I have developed a "sense" to hear a scratchy FT-8x7
          modulation out of a crowd of other stations, ..hihi.

          The MIC GAIN settings normally should NEVER be set higher than "60"
          at maximum. Otherwise the internally mic stages are slightly
          overdriven and cause distortions. Of course it's a kind of
          "compensation" which FT-8x7 owners try out if they don't find other
          possibilities. But this is still a kind of "compensation", but not a
          real "solution" of the problem.

          If you like to have a great audio, just try these steps:

          1)
          Check BIAS settings, maybe do a re-alignment (too low BIAS'es cause a
          scratchy SSB modulation)

          2)
          Replace the dynamic capsule of the MH-31 with an electret capsule and
          some very few resistors and capacitors. DON'T FORGET TO USE A BAFFLE
          behind the capsule, otherwise the hole/room in/of the plastic mike
          would produce a "hollow plastic" sound !!

          3)
          Optimize the MIC GAIN settings. It should now normally be "50" or
          lower.

          4)
          Add a cheap MURATA CFJ455K13 (2,7 kHz) into one of the OPT-filter
          sockets. The FT-857/897 can "mix" filters, so you can use the wide
          2,7 kHz for TX, but if you prefer the FT automatically switches back
          to the stock and more narrow 2,4 kHz on RX.
          I use my INRAD 2,6 kHz for both TX + RX cause it enhances the audio
          greatly and I'm not and was never a fan of SSB narrow filters (like
          2,0 kHz. The audio gets real "thin" and "weak". And in most of my
          tests the narrow filters never attenuated or eliminated stations some
          few khz beside, so then I prefer the much better audio instead !!).

          5)
          Play with the SSB Carrier Shift settings (of the servicemenu !! Of
          course !) The 4 variable carrier shift settings of the normal user
          menu have to be set to "0" first until you're able to do a proper
          servicemenu alignment. After a proper alignment, meaning a nearly
          "flat" passband of maybe 200 - 2.600 Hz you can easily use the 4 user
          menu passband shifts for a personally or temporary adjustment later
          during your QSOs.

          For the proper alignment routine of the FT-857/897 please have a look
          into the Yaesu Servicemanual.

          Best 73,
          Jochen (DG2IAQ)

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "vk4edn" <vk4edn@...> wrote:

          > Like others I'm getting bad reports on audio quality.
          >
          > I've juggled Mike Gain and Processor Settings and
          > also used different Mike techniques when speaking.
          > No success.
          >
          > If anyone has succeeded, would you advise your settings for me
          > to use as a starting point for further juggling.
          >
          > Also ref Mike technique -- what distance between mouth and mike ?
          >
          > I know everyone's voice is different but I'm just looking for a
          > starting point.
          >
          > Thanks ... Eric VK4EDN

        • Chris Hill
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006
            I own an FT-990, an FT-100MP-MKV,and my 897D. I have found in all three radios a very precise point where the "mic gain" and "processor" settings will be optimized. Deviate off this point by a very tiny bit will cause the monitored function(meter or bargraph) to be unreasonably and unacceptably out of tolerance. They are just hard to adjust, period

          • joseleonijanczak
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hill" <joanandchris@...> wrote:

              > I own an FT-990, an FT-100MP-MKV,and my 897D. I have found in all
              three radios a very precise point where the "mic gain"
              and "processor" settings will be optimized. Deviate off this point
              by a very tiny bit will cause the monitored function(meter or
              bargraph) to be unreasonably and unacceptably out of tolerance.
              They are just hard to adjust, period

              Hello Chris, what's the settings you have found ?????
              73
              José Leoni Janczak
              ZZ3IER