RE: The Right Interface for PSK31

  • k1mlp
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2006
      After reading so much about PSK31 it has really peaked my interest.
      I have had my 897D for about 1 year and like this rig alot. I only use
      it for CW, and would like a recommendation on the easiest PSK31
      interface for this rig only, I also use this rig portable alot and
      would like the ability to put it together and take it apart quickly.
      Any and all comments would be appreciated.
      Br
      Mark/K1MLP
    • kd4e
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2006
        > I have had very good results with the SignaLink SL-1+
        > interface from Tigertronics. It has been trouble free
        > and is very easy to set up with the 897. An inexpensive
        > connecting cable is also available. A big plus is that
        > it has its own vox circuit to handle T/R control without
        > needing any other connections to the computer besides
        > the soundcard audio in/out.
        > Rob WB1AEX

        I have just agreed to buy a used SL-1+ and would
        appreciate anything actual Ham users can share about
        the SL-1+ with the FT-897D.

        Also, what sound card are you using and have you
        swapped out one for another and seen improved results?

        --

        Thanks! & 73,
        doc, KD4E
          > I have a lot to learn about the capabilities of the RigExpert, it is smarter
          > than I am. Looks like it would be great for automatic operation.
          > Don Mathis KB5YAM

          "automatic operation"?

          Is automatic operation permitted on Ham bands?

          Did you mean semi-automatic operation?

          --

          Thanks! & 73,
          doc, KD4E
            k1mlp wrote:

            > After reading so much about PSK31 it has really peaked my interest.
            >I have had my 897D for about 1 year and like this rig alot. I only use
            >it for CW, and would like a recommendation on the easiest PSK31
            >interface for this rig only, I also use this rig portable alot and
            >would like the ability to put it together and take it apart quickly.
            >Any and all comments would be appreciated.
            >Br
            >Mark/K1MLP

            I have been very happy with the RigExpertPlus. Once I got it fully
            installed
            (mistake mine, instructions were correct, but I missed an important step).
            Able to control one 897D and with the additional Control cable, a second
            857D at the same time for loading memories, etc. One uses the USB port,
            the other the serial port. Run the FT-857 programmer software on the
            direct port memory loading.

            I have a lot to learn about the capabilities of the RigExpert, it is smarter
            than I am. Looks like it would be great for automatic operation.

            Also does not require the useage of the computer sound card, which
            helps with the multiple uses of the computer.

            Hope that helps.

            Don Mathis
            KB5YAM
          • Rob, WB1AEX
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 7, 2006

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "k1mlp" <k1mlp@...> wrote:

              > After reading so much about PSK31 it has really peaked my interest.
              > I have had my 897D for about 1 year and like this rig alot. I only use
              > it for CW, and would like a recommendation on the easiest PSK31
              > interface for this rig only, I also use this rig portable alot and
              > would like the ability to put it together and take it apart quickly.
              > Any and all comments would be appreciated.
              > Br
              > Mark/K1MLP

            • Rob, WB1AEX
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 8, 2006
                I use a cheap Creative SB Live. After setting the levels the first time that is the last I have looked at it. It should work fine with any sound card it is connected to. I migrated the SL-1+ from my 897D to my 756 Pro III without any problems. Simply a matter of changing the jumpers inside.

                Rob WB1AEX