Re: [FT897] Re: Service manual for FT897D

  • Geoff Blake
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 3, 2006
      On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Ned Linch wrote:

      > You can download it on Yaesu's website.

      Hi Ned, thanks for the reply. I have searched the Yaesu site quite
      diligently so I wonder if you could send me the URL and path.

      Thanks

      73 de Geoff
      --
      Geoff Blake G8GNZ located near Chelmsford, Essex, U.K.
      Please reply to: geoff (at) palaemon (dot) co (dot) uk

      See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>

      This E-mail and any attachment(s) are strictly confidential
      and is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the
      intended recipient please notify <postmaster(at)palaemon.co.uk>
      and the sender by return and permanently delete the message.

      You may not disclose, forward or copy this E-mail or any of its
      attachments to any third party without the prior consent of the
      sender.

    • Dean Gibson AE7Q
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 3, 2006
        Yaesu SELLS the service manual for the FT-897D in CD-ROM/PDF form (see
        the HRO site). To my knowledge, only the USER manuals are downloadable
        from the Yaesu site.

        This Yahoo group used to have the service manual for the FT-897 (not the
        -D model) in PDF form in the files section; I don't know if it is still
        there.

        -- Dean

        On 2006-10-03 07:09, Geoff Blake wrote:
        > On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Ned Linch wrote:
        >

        >> You can download it on Yaesu's website.
        >>

        > Hi Ned, thanks for the reply. I have searched the Yaesu site quite
        > diligently so I wonder if you could send me the URL and path.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > 73 de Geoff

      • kd4e
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 3, 2006
          Dean Gibson AE7Q wrote:
          > This Yahoo group used to have the service manual for the FT-897 (not the
          > -D model) in PDF form in the files section; I don't know if it is still
          > there.

          If Yaesu *sells* it then it may be copywritten
          and they may have asked the group to take it down.

          --

          Thanks! & 73,
          doc, KD4E
            The 897D is still a current radio, whereas the plain vanilla 897 is not, so that probably explains why you buy the manual for the D while the other one is in the public domain.

            73 de Peter - G0FIM / AA3JN

            > This Yahoo group used to have the service manual for the FT-897 (not the
            > -D model) in PDF form in the files section; I don't know if it is still
            > there.

            If Yaesu *sells* it then it may be copywritten
            and they may have asked the group to take it down.

            --

            Thanks! & 73,
            doc, KD4E
            ... somewhere in FL

          • Ned Linch
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 3, 2006
              John,

              Go to www.yaesu.com and at the top left, click on
              "Products" and then on the pulldown menu click on "HF
              transceivers and amps" then once the page comes up,
              scroll over to the 897 icon and click on it. Then the
              info on the 897 will come up. You'll see tabs above
              the info and one of them is "Files". Click on Files
              and then a list of files to download comes up. There
              are the 897 and 897D manuals as well as the Spainish
              version plus ATAS-25 manuals as well. I'm not sure of
              the type files. I downloaded it with my MAC and it
              would not work. I'll try it with my PC tonight. I
              have the manual on my PC and I can email it to you
              later. Hope this helps,
              73, Ned N4LS Oro Valley, AZ
              Yaesu 897D and Kenwood TS480SAT owner and user

              --- "John C. Sell, Jr." <statjr@...> wrote:

              > Can you please tell me where to look on the Yaesu
              > Website for the
              > Service manual? I know where to get the Operating
              > or Instruction
              > Manual. I have searched for the Service Manual on
              > the site and can't
              > seem to find it.
              >
              > John KC0ETV

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • adthomas11
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 3, 2006
                That is the OPERATING manual.
                Writer wanted SERVICE manual.
                Service manual is in FILES section of this group, but is in Linux format.
              • kd4e
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 3, 2006
                  > adthomas11 wrote:
                  > That is the OPERATING manual.
                  > Writer wanted SERVICE manual.
                  > Service manual is in FILES section of this group, but is in Linux format.

                  "Linux format"?

                  I am running Linux and that file looks broken to me.

                  BTW: What is a "Linux format" file?

                  Are you thinking that djvu is a Linux format?
                  It is cross-platform compatible Apple, Linux, or the various
                  MS versions of windows.

                  --

                  Thanks! & 73,
                  doc, KD4E
                    Try here, Geoff

                    http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=12174

                    Alex

                    --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Blake <geoff@...> wrote:

                    > Hi group,
                    >

                    > OK, I am a newbie here and apologise if this as been asked
                    > earlier. I am looking for the service manual for the FT-897D
                  • Geoff Blake
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 4, 2006
                      On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Ned Linch wrote:

                      > John,
                      >
                      > Go to www.yaesu.com and at the top left, click on
                      > "Products" and then on the pulldown menu click on "HF
                      > transceivers and amps" then once the page comes up,
                      > scroll over to the 897 icon and click on it. Then the
                      > info on the 897 will come up. You'll see tabs above
                      > the info and one of them is "Files". Click on Files
                      > and then a list of files to download comes up. There
                      > are the 897 and 897D manuals as well as the Spainish
                      > version plus ATAS-25 manuals as well. I'm not sure of
                      > the type files. I downloaded it with my MAC and it
                      > would not work. I'll try it with my PC tonight. I
                      > have the manual on my PC and I can email it to you
                      > later. Hope this helps,
                      > 73, Ned N4LS Oro Valley, AZ
                      > Yaesu 897D and Kenwood TS480SAT owner and user

                      Ned, thanks for the info, but the manuals available on the Yaesu
                      site are the operating manuals, not the service manuals.

                      The FT897 service manual is available on the net, and is in the
                      files section of the FT897 group. As far as I can determine, the
                      FT897D service manual is not available on the 'net.

                      Thanks again,

                      Geoff

                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 4, 2006
                        On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, imw6w wrote:

                        > Try here, Geoff
                        >
                        > http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=12174

                        Thanks Alex for the link. It points to the ham.dmz.ro site and
                        although it shows the "Yaesu FT897D technical specifications"
                        manual, the link is recursive, i.e. it links back to the 897D
                        page.

                        But it is the closest I have got so far and looks promising.

                        Thanks again

                        Geoff
                        --
                        Geoff Blake G8GNZ located near Chelmsford, Essex, U.K.
                        Please reply to: geoff (at) palaemon (dot) co (dot) uk
                        Using Linux on Intel & Linux or NetBSD on Sun Sparc platforms

                        See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>

                        This E-mail and any attachment(s) are strictly confidential
                        and is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the
                        intended recipient please notify <postmaster(at)palaemon.co.uk>
                        and the sender by return and permanently delete the message.

                        You may not disclose, forward or copy this E-mail or any of its
                        attachments to any third party without the prior consent of the
                        sender.

                      • Randy Charles Ford
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 4, 2006
                          Geoff,

                          It's called a "Technical Supplement" instead of a service manual. I
                          found the FT-897 one on a couple of sites -- no 897D ones. Look on
                          pages owned by individuals instead of groups, since posting it probably
                          violates Yaesu's copyrights.

                          I think I ran across a site selling copies, probably paper ones, for
                          about USD$20. Does Yaesu sell them to the general (ham) public?

                          73,
                          randy - KG4JIX

                          --
                          "Geek" is muggle-speak for "techno-wizard"
                        • Randy Charles Ford
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 4, 2006
                            Geoff,

                            Well, one site where I just viewed it has stopped letting me get it.
                            Try this one instead:

                            <http://dw.ham.dmz.ro:8080/downloads/yaesu/ham.dmz.ro.sch_serman_ft-897.pdf>

                            73,
                            randy - KG4JIX
                            --
                            "Geek" is muggle-speak for "techno-wizard"
                          • jcboisserie@free.fr
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 4, 2006
                              Hi Geoff,

                              Have you tried here : http://www.m0bmn.co.uk/manuals.HTM ?

                              Best regards

                              Jean-Christophe

                              Selon Geoff Blake <geoff@...>:

                              > On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Ned Linch wrote:
                              >
                              > > John,
                              > >
                              > > Go to www.yaesu.com and at the top left, click on
                              > > "Products" and then on the pulldown menu click on "HF
                              > > transceivers and amps" then once the page comes up,
                              > > scroll over to the 897 icon and click on it. Then the
                              > > info on the 897 will come up. You'll see tabs above
                              > > the info and one of them is "Files". Click on Files
                              > > and then a list of files to download comes up. There
                              > > are the 897 and 897D manuals as well as the Spainish
                              > > version plus ATAS-25 manuals as well. I'm not sure of
                              > > the type files. I downloaded it with my MAC and it
                              > > would not work. I'll try it with my PC tonight. I
                              > > have the manual on my PC and I can email it to you
                              > > later. Hope this helps,
                              > > 73, Ned N4LS Oro Valley, AZ
                              > > Yaesu 897D and Kenwood TS480SAT owner and user
                              >
                              > Ned, thanks for the info, but the manuals available on the Yaesu
                              > site are the operating manuals, not the service manuals.
                              >
                              > The FT897 service manual is available on the net, and is in the
                              > files section of the FT897 group. As far as I can determine, the
                              > FT897D service manual is not available on the 'net.
                              >
                              > Thanks again,
                              >
                              > Geoff
                              > --
                              > Geoff Blake G8GNZ located near Chelmsford, Essex, U.K.
                              > Please reply to: geoff (at) palaemon (dot) co (dot) uk
                              > Using Linux on Intel & Linux or NetBSD on Sun Sparc platforms

                              > See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
                              >
                              > This E-mail and any attachment(s) are strictly confidential
                              > and is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the
                              > intended recipient please notify <postmaster(at)palaemon.co.uk>
                              > and the sender by return and permanently delete the message.
                              >
                              > You may not disclose, forward or copy this E-mail or any of its
                              > attachments to any third party without the prior consent of the
                              > sender.

                            • Geoff Blake
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 4, 2006
                                On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 jcboisserie@... wrote:

                                > Hi Geoff,
                                >
                                > Have you tried here : http://www.m0bmn.co.uk/manuals.HTM ?

                                Merci Jean-Cristophe,

                                The service manual @ m0bmn is for the FT 897 rather than for the D
                                version

                                Au revoir

                                Geoff

                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 4, 2006
                                  Isn't the difference between the 897 and 897D version just the TCXO installed in
                                  the second one ? Perhaps the 897 Service manual talks of that (but I must
                                  confess that I haven't look inside to verify).

                                  Best regards

                                  Jean-Christophe

                                  Selon Geoff Blake <geoff@...>:

                                  > On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 jcboisserie@... wrote:
                                  >

                                  > > Hi Geoff,
                                  > >
                                  > > Have you tried here : http://www.m0bmn.co.uk/manuals.HTM ?
                                  >
                                  > Merci Jean-Cristophe,
                                  >
                                  > The service manual @ m0bmn is for the FT 897 rather than for the D
                                  > version
                                  >
                                  > Au revoir
                                  >
                                  > Geoff
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Geoff Blake G8GNZ located near Chelmsford, Essex, U.K.
                                  > Please reply to: geoff (at) palaemon (dot) co (dot) uk
                                  > Using Linux on Intel & Linux or NetBSD on Sun Sparc platforms

                                  > See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
                                  >
                                  > This E-mail and any attachment(s) are strictly confidential
                                  > and is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the
                                  > intended recipient please notify <postmaster(at)palaemon.co.uk>
                                  > and the sender by return and permanently delete the message.
                                  >
                                  > You may not disclose, forward or copy this E-mail or any of its
                                  > attachments to any third party without the prior consent of the
                                  > sender.

                                • imw6w
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 4, 2006
                                    That's where I got mine from Geoff. From that page select the
                                    "technical supplement"

                                    --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Blake <geoff@...> wrote:

                                    > On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, imw6w wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Try here, Geoff
                                    > >
                                    > > http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=12174
                                    > >
                                    > Thanks Alex for the link. It points to the ham.dmz.ro site and
                                    > although it shows the "Yaesu FT897D technical specifications"
                                    > manual, the link is recursive, i.e. it links back to the 897D
                                    > page.
                                    >
                                    > But it is the closest I have got so far and looks promising.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks again
                                    >
                                    > Geoff
                                    > --
                                    > Geoff Blake G8GNZ located near Chelmsford, Essex, U.K.
                                    > Please reply to: geoff (at) palaemon (dot) co (dot) uk
                                    > Using Linux on Intel & Linux or NetBSD on Sun Sparc platforms

                                    > See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>

                                    > This E-mail and any attachment(s) are strictly confidential
                                    > and is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the
                                    > intended recipient please notify <postmaster(at)palaemon.co.uk>
                                    > and the sender by return and permanently delete the message.
                                    >
                                    > You may not disclose, forward or copy this E-mail or any of its
                                    > attachments to any third party without the prior consent of the
                                    > sender.

                                  • adthomas11
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 4, 2006
                                      The Service Manual files are in a .RAR format. Isn't that a Linux
                                      compatable format?
                                    • Bo Holbo Rasmussen
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Oct 4, 2006
                                        No.

                                        Go to google.com and search for ” winrar ” and you will find the program
                                        needed to expand the RAR file!
                                        RAR is a compression format much like ZIP.
                                        Winrar is capable of compressing and expanding both ZIP and RAR files!

                                        Good luck.

                                        Best regards / Venlig hilsen
                                        Bo Holbo Rasmussen
                                        73 de OZ2BO
                                        www.qrz.com
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Oct 4, 2006
                                          To repeat, the service manual for the FT-897D is a copyrighted item and
                                          is sold by various dealers, including HRO. If you find a copy on the
                                          Internet and copy it, you are in violation of the Yaesu copyright and US
                                          copyright laws. Don't tell me it's OK with Yaesu; I called them and it
                                          isn't.

                                          As for the service manual for the FT-897, I would presume that the same
                                          applies, unless you have specific permission from Yaesu to the contrary.

                                          The service manual from Yaesu is cheap enough; buy it if you need it.
                                          Don't worsen the reputation of amateur radio.

                                          -- Dean

                                          On 2006-10-04 00:54, Geoff Blake wrote:
                                          > On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, imw6w wrote:
                                          >

                                          >> Try here, Geoff
                                          >>
                                          >> http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=12174
                                          >>

                                          > Thanks Alex for the link. It points to the ham.dmz.ro site and
                                          > although it shows the "Yaesu FT897D technical specifications"
                                          > manual, the link is recursive, i.e. it links back to the 897D
                                          > page.
                                          >
                                          > But it is the closest I have got so far and looks promising.
                                          >
                                          > Thanks again
                                          >
                                          > Geoff

                                        • Geoff Blake
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Oct 4, 2006
                                            On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, adthomas11 wrote:

                                            > The Service Manual files are in a .RAR format. Isn't that a Linux
                                            > compatable format?

                                            Whereas Linux will unpack .rar and .zip files. these are basically
                                            windows formats. You are probably thinking of .tar files which is
                                            the output format of the 'tar' program. tar = Tape ARchive.

                                            Geoff

                                            --
                                            Geoff Blake G8GNZ located near Chelmsford, Essex, U.K.
                                            Please reply to: geoff (at) palaemon (dot) co (dot) uk
                                            Using Linux on Intel & Linux or NetBSD on Sun Sparc platforms

                                            See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>

                                            This E-mail and any attachment(s) are strictly confidential
                                            and is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the
                                            intended recipient please notify <postmaster(at)palaemon.co.uk>
                                            and the sender by return and permanently delete the message.

                                            You may not disclose, forward or copy this E-mail or any of its
                                            attachments to any third party without the prior consent of the
                                            sender.

                                          • William Sterling
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Oct 4, 2006
                                              I just ordered the FT897D manual this morning from Yaesu USA. Was $16.50
                                              + shipping. The tech said it was published in 2004 and includes both the
                                              D and non-D models.

                                              73,
                                              Rick AE7RS

                                              On 10/4/2006 3:01:21 AM, Randy Charles Ford (kg4jix@...) wrote:
                                              > Geoff,
                                              >
                                              > It's called a "Technical Supplement" instead of a service manual. I
                                              > found the FT-897 one on a couple of sites -- no 897D ones. Look on
                                              > pages owned by individuals instead of groups, since posting it probably
                                              > violates Yaesu's
                                              > copyrights.
                                              >
                                              > I think I ran across a site selling copies, probably paper ones, for
                                              > about USD$20. Does Yaesu sell them to the general (ham) public?
                                              >
                                              > 73,
                                              > randy - KG4JIX
                                            • Wes Stewart
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Oct 4, 2006
                                                --- William Sterling <rick@...> wrote:

                                                > I just ordered the FT897D manual this morning from
                                                > Yaesu USA. Was $16.50
                                                > + shipping. The tech said it was published in 2004
                                                > and includes both the
                                                > D and non-D models.
                                                >
                                                > 73,
                                                > Rick AE7RS

                                                We hams should start demanding that full manuals come
                                                with the equipment. Of course most appliance ops
                                                wouldn't know what to do with them, so maybe it should
                                                just be a no-cost option.

                                                Wes N7WS

                                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                                              • Robert G. Schaffrath
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Oct 4, 2006
                                                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Wes Stewart <n7ws@...> wrote:

                                                  > We hams should start demanding that full manuals come
                                                  > with the equipment. Of course most appliance ops
                                                  > wouldn't know what to do with them, so maybe it should
                                                  > just be a no-cost option.
                                                  >
                                                  > Wes N7WS

                                                  I cannot imagine life without a service manual for any piece of
                                                  electronic equipment. My 21 year old Sony KV-1972R television is
                                                  still kicking thanks to the service manual. It was useful in
                                                  helping me locate a blown voltage regulator years ago and
                                                  determining the correct replacement for a blown flyback transformer
                                                  this summer (figuring out it was a blown flyback was easy from the
                                                  smoke and oozing goop!). I usually order service manuals for any
                                                  substantial piece of electronic equipment or motor vehicle.

                                                  I have the FT-897 manual but have not yet picked up a "D" version.
                                                  I would expect the "D" to include the TCXO and any circuit
                                                  corrections made since the non-"D" version.

                                                  Robert, N2JTX
                                                • motarolla_doctor
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Oct 8, 2006
                                                    --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Wes Stewart <n7ws@...> wrote:
                                                    > We hams should start demanding that full manuals come
                                                    > with the equipment. Of course most appliance ops
                                                    > wouldn't know what to do with them, so maybe it should
                                                    > just be a no-cost option.
                                                    >
                                                    > Wes N7WS

                                                    I have to totaly agree with this..

                                                    I just received my new FT-897D and it does have the road maps
                                                    (schematics). But they are on two 17" x 22" pages BOTH sides!
                                                    Kinda hard to read. No service manual tho..

                                                    Will KA6LSD