Re: which power supply...

  • rnrampage
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 5, 2006
      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "p saffo" <kf6stf@...> wrote:

      > I am dithering over which power supply to get -- the internal FP-30,
      > But other than this trade-off, is thate any practical difference
      between using an internal v. an
      > external supply?
      >
      > best
      > -p

      I bought a used kenwood PS (external) and run my 897 off it. I chose
      this route, because I also wanted to use batteries and didn't want to
      go through the bother of switching components out every time I went on
      battery power.

      Woody
      KB5CEJ
    • Mike VA3MW
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 5, 2006
        I have the AC supply and just love it.

        Makes it easy to grab and go. If I need batteries, I just plug 12v into the back from some other source.

        Mike VA3MW

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 5, 2006
          I have the internal AC supply and also like it, using an external battery when portable.

          However, I may soon sell my internal AC supply.

          Have folks noticed the really small AC supply that is now available? (shown on eHam reviews and elsewhere) It uses a 5A supply and a 5 Farad capacitor bank to run 100 watts SSB, and 30+ W on PSK/etc. The space inside the FT897 is about 7x7x1.125, and this supply is LESS THAN half this volume. Now it turns out that the supply is a bit too tall, however 12v 60w switchers are available that will fit inside the 897, and Digikey has them, and the 25F 2.7V capacitors (5 in series for 5F) to make the cap bank. THIS WILL EASILY FIT IN HALF THE 897's BATTERY VOLUME. So there is enough room for this AC supply, and ONE NIMH BATTERY, or a higher capacity battery for those inclined. (for homebrewers only).

          I have not started this upgrade yet for my FT897, but I plan to do it, perhaps this winter. Then my 897 will be 1/2" shorter (the AC supply adds height), lighter, and have both AC and built in battery capability. NEAT!

          -- Alan, WB6ZQZ, http://www.AntennaLaunchers.com

          ps: just noticed this thread, cannot read it all now but thought this note would be useful to get out.

          From: "Mike VA3MW" <va3mw@...>
          I have the AC supply and just love it.

          Makes it easy to grab and go. If I need batteries, I just plug 12v into the back from some other source.

          Mike VA3MW

          > Put the internal batteries in it and only operate
          > off the batteries.

          The internal batteries limit you to 20W output so unless you want to
          run QRP permanently you will need another source of power. I
          decided to get the FP-30B recently when I saw it on sale for $188.
          I already have an Astron RS-50A linear power supply and an Astron SS-
          25 switching power supply. However, having everything inside the
          radio is appealing as I traveled with it back in July and it was a
          bit annoying to have to lug the power supply and radio. I figure if
          I want to run on battery, it would be simpler to bring along
          batteries and the power cable than have them inside the radio. As I
          expect to do most of my operating off of AC power, the internal
          supply make more sense for me than internal batteries.

          Robert, N2JTX

        • David Inger
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 5, 2006
            Paul,
            If you are interested in an external PS, especially if you want to
            travel with it, I heartily recommend the new Gamma Research HPS-
            1a "Hybrid" switching PS. This little unit is about the size of
            couple packs of cigarettes (pardon the comparison), weighs 1.25 lbs
            and is rated at 22 amps. It is tiny and amazing. I have detected
            no rf hash from the unit. It is available from Gigaparts for abt
            $130. Also, check out the reviews at eHam.net and follow the links
            to the company.

            The internal batteries are great if you are happy with 20-watts.
            Also the radio is really heavy with the both batts installed. You
            still need to take the charger with you anyway. Personally, I sold
            my batts and charger and went the Gamma supply. I can still use an
            external gelcell or NiMH pack if I want to be self contained.

            Anyway, I'm happy with this setup.

            73 de K6SBA
            David in Santa Barbara CA

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "p saffo" <kf6stf@...> wrote:

            > I am dithering over which power supply to get -- the internal FP-
            30, or an external switching
            > power supply. Obvious pros and cons: internal supply means
            everything is in one box and I
            > don't have to fiddle with hooking up and external supply. Con is
            that if I get the internal
            > supply, I can't install batteries.
            >
            > But other than this trade-off, is thate any practical difference
            between using an internal v. an
            > external supply?
            >
            > best
            > -p

          • Alan Biocca
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 5, 2006
              That's the supply I was mentioning in my earlier post - the Gamma Research.
              It is a 60W 5A supply with a 5 Farad capacitor shunting the output. It is
              just a tad bit too tall to fit inside one side of the battery compartment
              as they manufacture it, but an equivalent one would easily fit, and still
              leave room for the other battery.

              -- Alan wb6zqz

              At 09:19 PM 9/5/2006, you wrote:

              >Paul,
              >If you are interested in an external PS, especially if you want to
              >travel with it, I heartily recommend the new Gamma Research HPS-
              >1a "Hybrid" switching PS. This little unit is about the size of
              >couple packs of cigarettes (pardon the comparison), weighs 1.25 lbs
              >and is rated at 22 amps. It is tiny and amazing. I have detected
              >no rf hash from the unit. It is available from Gigaparts for abt
              >$130. Also, check out the reviews at eHam.net and follow the links
              >to the company.
              >
              >The internal batteries are great if you are happy with 20-watts.
              >Also the radio is really heavy with the both batts installed. You
              >still need to take the charger with you anyway. Personally, I sold
              >my batts and charger and went the Gamma supply. I can still use an
              >external gelcell or NiMH pack if I want to be self contained.
              >
              >Anyway, I'm happy with this setup.
              >
              >73 de K6SBA
              >David in Santa Barbara CA
              >
              >--- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "p saffo" <kf6stf@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I am dithering over which power supply to get -- the internal FP-
              >30, or an external switching
              > > power supply. Obvious pros and cons: internal supply means
              >everything is in one box and I
              > > don't have to fiddle with hooking up and external supply. Con is
              >that if I get the internal
              > > supply, I can't install batteries.
              > >
              > > But other than this trade-off, is thate any practical difference
              >between using an internal v. an
              > > external supply?
              > >
              > > best
              > > -p
            • kd4e
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 7, 2006
                > That's the supply I was mentioning in my earlier post - the Gamma Research.
                > It is a 60W 5A supply with a 5 Farad capacitor shunting the output. It is
                > just a tad bit too tall to fit inside one side of the battery compartment
                > as they manufacture it, but an equivalent one would easily fit, and still
                > leave room for the other battery.
                > -- Alan wb6zqz

                Are his components too large to be disassembled
                and reassembled into a shape that fits inside
                the FT-897D?

                If the dual-battery pack reduces operating power
                to 20W would a single battery reduce it to 10W or
                less?

                --

                Thanks! & 73,
                doc, KD4E
                  5 Farad capacitor in an FT-897?

                  Am I missing something about capacitor technology?

                  Vy 73,

                  Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

                  201.314.6964

                  w2ttt@...

                  w2ttt@...

                  w2ttt@...

                  _____

                  > That's the supply I was mentioning in my earlier post - the Gamma
                  Research.
                  > It is a 60W 5A supply with a 5 Farad capacitor shunting the output. It is
                  > just a tad bit too tall to fit inside one side of the battery compartment
                  > as they manufacture it, but an equivalent one would easily fit, and still
                  > leave room for the other battery.
                  > -- Alan wb6zqz

                  Are his components too large to be disassembled
                  and reassembled into a shape that fits inside
                  the FT-897D?

                  If the dual-battery pack reduces operating power
                  to 20W would a single battery reduce it to 10W or
                  less?

                  --

                  Thanks! & 73,
                  doc, KD4E
                  ... somewhere in FL

                • Rick Stirling
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 7, 2006
                    Actually in the 3rd party power supply being discussed, I think they use
                    5 each 25 farad 2.7 volt caps in series. End result, 5 farads at 13.5
                    volts. Pretty kewl. ;-) There are MUCH higher value ultracaps out there,
                    look up BOOSTCAP on Google for example.

                    A LONG time ago I was asked to look at the design of a Xenon strobe
                    circuit used in a US Navy practice torpedo at the time. The strobe was
                    used to locate the torpedo at night after it had been fired. The Navy
                    was concerned about the peak current draw on the batteries and the low
                    output of the strobe. It took me all of 10 minutes to add some small
                    high value tantalum caps (new technology at the time) to the power bus
                    and make some efficiency changes to the DC to DC converter to make that
                    puppy really shine. ;-)

                    73,
                    Rick AE7RS

                    On 9/7/2006 8:20:10 AM, J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT (w2ttt@...)
                    wrote:
                    > 5 Farad capacitor in an FT-897?
                    >
                    > Am I missing something about capacitor technology?
                    >

                    > Vy 73,
                    >
                    > Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
                  • James Wilson
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 7, 2006
                      I had a 5 Farad capacitor for my car stereo that was smaller then a cd case and about an inch thick. I was amazed at how small they have become.

                      K6WRJ

                      > That's the supply I was mentioning in my earlier post - the Gamma
                      Research.
                      > It is a 60W 5A supply with a 5 Farad capacitor shunting the output. It is
                      > just a tad bit too tall to fit inside one side of the battery compartment
                      > as they manufacture it, but an equivalent one would easily fit, and still
                      > leave room for the other battery.
                      > -- Alan wb6zqz

                      Are his components too large to be disassembled
                      and reassembled into a shape that fits inside
                      the FT-897D?

                      If the dual-battery pack reduces operating power
                      to 20W would a single battery reduce it to 10W or
                      less?

                      --

                      Thanks! & 73,
                      doc, KD4E
                      ... somewhere in FL

                    • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 7, 2006
                        Interesting to note these improvements in capacitor technology!
                        When I was in college, I remember a 1F cap that looked like a car battery!

                        Vy 73,
                        Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
                        201.314.6964
                        w2ttt@...
                        w2ttt@...
                        w2ttt@...

                        wrote:
                        > 5 Farad capacitor in an FT-897?
                        >
                        > Am I missing something about capacitor technology?
                        >

                        > Vy 73,
                        >
                        > Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Alan Biocca
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 12, 2006
                          My understanding (from a friend who measured it) is that the Gamma Research
                          HPS-1A supply is a bit too tall, even when disassembled, to fit into the
                          internal battery storage area of the FT897. Perhaps someone who has one can
                          figure out if it is possible to make minor changes to the supply to make it
                          fit, but even outside the case it is reportedly a bit too tall.

                          The supply consists of a 5A 13.5V switcher supply and 5 each 25F 2.7
                          working volt capacitors with balancing resistors in series across the
                          output, producing an effective 5 Farads of capacitance. They rate the
                          supply as adequate for 5A continuous, 22A at 1/4 duty cycle, 13.5 volts.

                          To the other question about batteries inside the FT897, the two battery
                          banks are separate. You can run 20W from one internally connected battery.
                          If you make a battery pack and bring the lead outside and connect on the
                          rear panel you can run 100W if the battery will support it. Using the 5F
                          capacitor bank across the battery will allow higher power and reduce the
                          peak battery current, making the battery more efficient. The bleeder
                          resistors will eat some power, but a balancing circuit using active devices
                          instead of resistors can be used to minimize the power loss.

                          I looked in the Digikey catalog and found two supplies that would fit,
                          3x5x1" in size, and they have the capacitors as well, under $6 each.

                          -- Alan wb6zqz

                          At 05:21 AM 9/7/2006, kd4e wrote:

                          > > That's the supply I was mentioning in my earlier post - the Gamma
                          > Research.
                          > > It is a 60W 5A supply with a 5 Farad capacitor shunting the output. It is
                          > > just a tad bit too tall to fit inside one side of the battery compartment
                          > > as they manufacture it, but an equivalent one would easily fit, and still
                          > > leave room for the other battery.
                          > > -- Alan wb6zqz
                          >
                          >Are his components too large to be disassembled
                          >and reassembled into a shape that fits inside
                          >the FT-897D?
                          >
                          >If the dual-battery pack reduces operating power
                          >to 20W would a single battery reduce it to 10W or
                          >less?
                          >
                          >--
                          >
                          >Thanks! & 73,
                          >doc, KD4E
                        • Rick Stirling
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 12, 2006
                            Thanks for the info Alan. Could you post the Digi-Key part numbers you
                            found. Their online catalog is a beast to navigate. ;-)

                            73,
                            Rick AE7RS

                            On 9/12/2006 7:20:52 AM, akbiocca@... wrote:
                            [snip]
                            >I looked in the Digikey catalog and found two supplies that would fit,
                            >3x5x1" in size, and they have the capacitors as well, under $6 each.
                            >
                            >-- Alan wb6zqz
                          • Alan Biocca
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 12, 2006
                              Based on the request from Rick, I just made a web page with some info on
                              the project of making a small DC supply to fit inside one half of the FT897
                              battery compartment. It has some part numbers and links to Digikey pages.
                              This page will be updated as more info is available.

                              http://www.hsfdg.org/wiki/Ft897Supply

                              -- Alan wb6zqz

                              At 06:55 AM 9/12/2006, Rick Stirling wrote:
                              >Thanks for the info Alan. Could you post the Digi-Key part numbers you
                              >found. Their online catalog is a beast to navigate. ;-)
                              >
                              >73,
                              >Rick AE7RS
                              >
                              >On 9/12/2006 7:20:52 AM, akbiocca@... wrote:
                              >[snip]
                              > >I looked in the Digikey catalog and found two supplies that would fit,
                              > >3x5x1" in size, and they have the capacitors as well, under $6 each.
                              > >
                              > >-- Alan wb6zqz
                            • Rick Stirling
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 12, 2006
                                Thanks Alan, looks great!

                                I see there are some 120F 2.3 WV caps on that catalog page. Six of those
                                puppies would give you 13.8 volts @ 20F. ;-)

                                73,
                                Rick AE7RS