Re: [FT897] Beware of 'Normal DSP-noise'

  • Charles Scott
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
      ON4NAJ:
      I think the question here is what the level is of the noise. When
      listening to a local transmitter, even if you have your receive antenna
      disconnected, you may be getting signal levels way above what would
      normally be received at some distance. Good transmitters should have such
      noise down some 60 or 70 db, but even that could easily be heard on a
      local receiver. Every transmitter has some level of noise and the
      characteristics of that noise if different for each model and sometimes
      each unit. I guess I'll have to listen to mine in this way to see if I
      hear the same characteristics.
      So, if you have a way to measure the level of the noise you report
      relative to a full power transmission, the information from that would be
      real helpful in evaluating this problem. (Preferably in db down from full
      power rather than S-Units on some receiver -- most receiver S-Meters do
      not properly do 6db/S-Unit. Otherwise, can other stations you talk to
      hear it over the air?)

      Chuck - N8DNX

      On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, on4naj wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > Here a very strange (but true) story I want to tell all 897-D owners.
      > Bought a new FT-897D with power supply. Have had also a 817ND and a
      > 857D, so the 897D must be as good. Perfect trx: small, build in
      > PS... nice !
      > Until I started to use it in SSB. A strange noise (sounds like
      > trainbreaks while doing an emergency-stop) was audible between the
      > words of my voice.
      > I tried everything: other Ps, no compression, all DSP off... still
      > the strange sound. Even with mike-gain to zero the sound is audible
      > while transmitting...
      > Dealer says: trx is in waranty: that's a job for Yaesu Europe !
      > After 6 weeks the trx returned from Schiphol with a technician-
      > report: 'This is normal DSP noise'. I told the dealer to listen to
      > it. "That's indeed not normal !" He said and: "lets try another new
      > one out-of-the-box". So we did: same noise in the modulation !!!!
      > Very strange !!! As We wanted to be 100% sure we tried an ICOM 703:
      > no such sounds... Sorry Yaesu-Europe but it's not normal DSP- noise,
      > it's a change that a lot of trx's will have the same fault in it !
      > You can check it for your trx:
      >
      > Tune to any frequency you can transmit on , set no DSP, set no
      > compression. Then transmit without talking (or set mike - gain to
      > zero. Listen to that frequency with another trx or receiver
      > (carfull use lowp ower and no rx-antenna!!!). You'll hear now the
      > strange sound. (I hope you have a good one and you hear nothing
      > strange!)
      >
      > The dealer (HF in Antwerp) refunded me and told me they where very
      > sorry. Very nice service from them!
      >
      > I bought an IC-706 MKIIG...
      > Very pitty to do this because I really liked the concept of the FT-
      > 897D !
      > But the IC-706 MKIIG works without the 'normal DSP-noise'.
      >
      > As the new-one out-of-the-box trx had the same problem, it could be
      > a production-fault. More then just one trx could have the same
      > problem. I just wanted to inform you: perhaps your's has it: check
      > it out !
      >

      > 73's
      >
      > ON4NAJ
    • Steve McDonald
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
        I had a friend who reported the same thing...I actually was able to hear it on his 2m signal...turned out to be the fan modulating the carrier.

        Steve / VE7SL

      • K.Greenough
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2006
          Hello Steve,
          Do you mean the mic was picking up the noise of the
          fan? or was the fan putting modulation onto the signal
          through the circuitry?
          73 Ken g8beq

        • Steve McDonald

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2006
              Hi Chuck,

              TNX fer response !
              I know what you mean, but a normal transmitter won't be that
              powerfull with internal noise. An O.M. at 50 miles says: 'You're
              transmitting some kind of RTTY along with your voice ?!'.
              And: with the Icom there no prob at all in the same conditions...
              I realy dont want to play that kind of fool wich fool says that Icom
              is better than Yaesu. I leave that to the ragchewers, but there
              seems to be a real noise problem with some series of the FT-897D.

              regards & 73's

              ON4NAJ
              Patrick

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Charles Scott <cscott@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > zero. Listen to that frequency with another trx or receiver
              > > (carfull use lowp ower and no rx-antenna!!!). You'll hear now
              the
              > > strange sound. (I hope you have a good one and you hear nothing
              > > strange!)
              > >
              > > The dealer (HF in Antwerp) refunded me and told me they where
              very
              > > sorry. Very nice service from them!
              > >
              > > I bought an IC-706 MKIIG...
              > > Very pitty to do this because I really liked the concept of the
              FT-
              > > 897D !
              > > But the IC-706 MKIIG works without the 'normal DSP-noise'.
              > >
              > > As the new-one out-of-the-box trx had the same problem, it could
              be
              > > a production-fault. More then just one trx could have the same
              > > problem. I just wanted to inform you: perhaps your's has it:

            • Charles Scott
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
                Patrick:
                You may very well be right that there is a problem with some of the
                897's. All I'm saying is that it's important to quantify the problem so
                you can interact effectively with the support people at Yaesu. If they say
                that the noise level is normal, then it's entirely possible that it is, at
                least the way they measure it.
                If you disagree, then you should find someone with the proper equipment
                or a radio shop locally that can do a proper measurement of what the radio
                is doing. At that point, you can compare it to the radio's specs. If it
                doesn't meet specs, then you know what to tell Yaesu. If it does, then you
                have to make a decision as to whether to keep the radio.
                Also, keep an open mind that what you hear when you test it may not be
                exactly what others are hearing remotely. If you don't, you may find
                yourself chasing the wrong problem.

                Chuck - N8DNX

              • on4naj
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
                  hi Chuck,

                  I let them recording my transmission: it : it was exactly what I
                  heard.
                  I spoke myself by phone at the Dealer with Yaesu-Europe's
                  tecnician : he told my that it was "impossible to have
                  that ", "because they measured none" ! "It's normal DSP-noise".

                  My ears and also yours could tell it didn't meet the specs...

                  Anyway, I just wanted to warn: there's something with some FT-
                  897D's. Today I spoke with 2 ham with the trx and they where happy
                  with it: no problem of that kind. Fine !

                  I realy wanted a FT-897D, but now I made my mind up: sorry Yaesu, no
                  such TRX fer me.

                  So, thanks fer the respose Chuck & 73's.
                  Wish U gd lk & fine dx with your FT-897D !

                • f6dfz
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 25, 2006
                    Hi to all;

                    I recently reported a problem with an inside coax cable picking up
                    energy into the 2m LPF and inducing it into the AF amplifier in a
                    brand nex FT-897D (6J... sn).
                    I regret to report the same problem as ON4NAJ on SSB transmit. On any
                    band and on any Proc or DSP settings, local stations report a whine
                    or electronical noise on my transmissions. I used an auxiliary
                    receiver to confirm, and it's very annoying.
                    So the last series of FT-897D have some problems. I shall check with
                    the french importer to see if they have an official technical
                    bulletin on this one.

                    Georges
                    F6DFZ

                    --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "on4naj" <patnaj@...> wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > Here a very strange (but true) story I want to tell all 897-D
                    owners.
                    > Bought a new FT-897D with power supply. Have had also a 817ND and a
                    > 857D, so the 897D must be as good. Perfect trx: small, build in
                    > PS... nice !
                    > Until I started to use it in SSB. A strange noise (sounds like
                    > trainbreaks while doing an emergency-stop) was audible between the
                    > words of my voice.
                    > I tried everything: other Ps, no compression, all DSP off... still
                    > the strange sound. Even with mike-gain to zero the sound is audible
                    > while transmitting...
                    > Dealer says: trx is in waranty: that's a job for Yaesu Europe !
                    > After 6 weeks the trx returned from Schiphol with a technician-
                    > report: 'This is normal DSP noise'. I told the dealer to listen to
                    > it. "That's indeed not normal !" He said and: "lets try another
                    new
                    > one out-of-the-box". So we did: same noise in the modulation !!!!
                    > Very strange !!! As We wanted to be 100% sure we tried an ICOM
                    703:
                    > no such sounds... Sorry Yaesu-Europe but it's not normal DSP-
                    noise,
                    > it's a change that a lot of trx's will have the same fault in it !
                    > You can check it for your trx:
                    >
                    > Tune to any frequency you can transmit on , set no DSP, set no
                    > compression. Then transmit without talking (or set mike - gain to
                    > zero. Listen to that frequency with another trx or receiver
                    > (carfull use lowp ower and no rx-antenna!!!). You'll hear now the
                    > strange sound. (I hope you have a good one and you hear nothing
                    > strange!)
                    >
                    > The dealer (HF in Antwerp) refunded me and told me they where very
                    > sorry. Very nice service from them!
                    >
                    > I bought an IC-706 MKIIG...
                    > Very pitty to do this because I really liked the concept of the FT-
                    > 897D !
                    > But the IC-706 MKIIG works without the 'normal DSP-noise'.
                    >
                    > As the new-one out-of-the-box trx had the same problem, it could be
                    > a production-fault. More then just one trx could have the same
                    > problem. I just wanted to inform you: perhaps your's has it: check
                    > it out !
                    >

                    > 73's
                    >
                    > ON4NAJ

                  • f6dfz
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 28, 2006
                      This reflector is great and I could find that the "electronic noise"
                      on SSB transmit is known for more than 2 years.
                      Surprisingly, it is generated by the circuitry of the receiver. That
                      point was confirmed to me today by the french importer who has
                      transmited a fix to Yaesu, but unfortunatly this fix is not
                      incorporated in recent rigs.
                      You can test yourself your rig : switch on an auxiliary receiver to
                      control your transmission, transmit on SSB, without speaking, and put
                      your finger on the input of Q1120 : the noise disapear!
                      As a ham as written on this reflector, you can get ride of the
                      problem if you keep the DSP DNF or DBF on all the time. In fact the
                      best way is to preset DBF to 160Hz HPF and 2770 Hz LPF and let it on
                      permanently.
                      If you use the processor, the noise is more obvious and you could
                      want to limit the Processor level to 25.
                      The fix from the french importer is to power Q1120 only during
                      reception (it runs continuously). Its a shame that Yaesu did not
                      incorporate it as it should cost close to nothing, just a PCB
                      modification.

                      The importer is sending a new but modified rig ; I shall report my
                      findings.

                      Best regards to all.

                      Georges F6DFZ