Re: [FT897] Yaesu Warranty on Used FT-897D?

  • k9ztv
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2006
      I returned my 897 twice during the warranty period for factory updates.
      A copy of the Bill of Sale was required for warranty work. I suspect
      Yaesu is more interested in the date of the original purchase than they
      are in the name of the original purchaser.

      73,

      Kent K9ZTV

      kd4e wrote:

      > Anyone know if Yaesu will honor the warranty on
      > a FT-897D if it is now owned by someone other than
      > the original buyer?

    • Dave L
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2006
        That wouild mesh with what the person I bought my 897D
        said his experience was. He bought it used and
        returned it to Yaesu for a repair of the MEM/VFO CH
        knob.

        Dave - KI6BPY

        --- Alan Rabin <wa2ar@...> wrote:

        > I personally have never seen Vetex Standard deny a
        > warranty claim on any unit that based on the serial
        > # should be under warranty. I am a LMR dealer but I
        > don't expect anything less from the "yaesu"
        > division..Alan

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • kd4e
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2006
          >> Beat them at their own game. Keep your communication to a minimum, give
          >> only information required to diagnose/repair the unit, send it in with a
          >> copy of the receipt, and use a return address such as your work qth, or
          >> just use the name of the original purchaser with your return address.
          >> We have all moved at one point in time, no? Get the idea?
          >
          > I just assume that a used item has no factory warranty. I always have, and
          > I always will, no matter what sort of tricks others are willing to play.
          > 73, Paul K4PDM

          As a Biblical Christian to whom that means everything
          I cannot engage in anything that even sounds deceptive.

          I need an official word from Yaesu if they will honor
          the warranty based on the serial number on record as
          covered -- or if their official policy is to duck their
          obligation to support their gear on the thin excuse that
          the owner has changed.

          If Yaesu will not honor their warranty to that serial
          numbered rig then I will make my buying decision based
          on no warranty service available -- it harms the original
          buyer by reducing the value of an otherwise nearly-new
          used rig and may harm future Yaesu sales if other
          manufacturers are more buyer-friendly.

          And no, I don't know if this makes Yaesu any different
          than any of the other manufacturers or if they are all
          equally anxious for an excuse to avoid supporting their
          rigs.

          --

          Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e
          http://bibleseven.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 5, 2006
            > No different from Ten-Tec. I was looking at an almost brand new Orion
            > II for which the warranty card had not been sent in. I emailed TenTec
            > service dept and was told, in no uncertain terms that their warranty
            > non-transferable and is to the initial purchaser, only.
            > That kept me from buying both that Orion and the possibility of buying a
            > new one from TenTec, if that is their attitude.
            > Art K5FNQ

            Sure would be neat to find a manufacturer who would
            honor the serial number vs the name on the receipt.
            Others would have to follow if Hams refused to buy
            their resale-devalued hardware.

            It makes no sense to not honor the serial number as
            that is what is guaranteed by the manufacturer. That
            "they all do it" is no excuse.

            The only explanation for a manufacturer using the
            name on the receipt vs the serial number is that they
            know many of their devices will be sold prior to the
            end of the warranty and they want to escape their
            responsibility to support everything they make for
            the length of time their marketing says it will last.

            Perhaps rig marketing hype should read: "Guaranteed
            to last for 1 year or until re-sold, whichever is sooner.
            We require additional payment if the rig changes hands
            because it magically ceases to be reliable."

            Puts it in a different light!

            Climbs down off the soapbox again ...

            --

            Thanks! & 73,
            doc, KD4E
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 25, 2006
              Ah, folks, you might want to learn a little bit of history before spouting
              off. There are no legal precedents or moral requirement that require a
              manufacturer to offer a warranty. There are some historical examples of the
              vendor choosing to offer warranties and some legal requirements on them but
              NOT on the manufacturer. If a manufacturer chooses to offer a warranty on
              top of anything offered by the vendor that is purely a gift on their part.
              If they choose to limit the extent of this gift this is well within their
              moral and legal right.

              Gene Horr