Re: [FT897] Mobile settings

  • David F. Reed
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2006
      Robert,

      it is my experience that frequently the NB set high degrades radio
      performance in other ways (for example, I note much more distorted audio
      when I have the NB cranked up, making contacts more difficult), more
      than it is worth.

      I recommend that you consider reducing your ignition noise, thereby
      getting the benefits of a quieter RF environment.

      The ARRL offers a book or two on the subject as well, but you can help
      some by doing a few things right off...

      1. A good toroid and a few wraps around it for the power cord.
      2. a very good ground for the rig, very near the rig.
      3. run the power cord (both sides) directly to the battery (fused in
      both wires)
      4. depending on the car's ignition systems, resistive wires can help.
      5. Shielding the spark plug wires, and grounding the shields.
      6. There may be some stuff to do with the alternator, bonding panels
      electrically to the chassis, and so on that can help.

      73 and good mobiling to you!

      Dave, W5SV