Re: Yaesu auto antenna tuner for 897

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2006
      One of my favorite antennas for portable operation with my FT-817,
      FT-897 and various mil manpacks is a G5RV. I used 300ohm twinlead and
      22ga Teflon wire for the elements to keep things light. The 22ga wire
      and about 50ft of string wind up into plastic chalk line reels for
      quick deployment and takedown. I like to use a DK9SQ 33ft fiberglass
      mast whenever possible which gets the feedpoint up around 30ft. I
      found you can easily solder BNC connectors to the 300ohm twinlead,
      fill the inside of the BNC with 5-min Epoxy and use heat shrink with
      internal hot glue for a strain relief. This tunes 80-10m just fine
      with an LDG Z-11, LDG Z-100, LDG AT-897 and various mil radios with
      internal tuners. No balun is used or needed in my opinion.
      Mike KM6AB

      > This past weekend I attempted to erect a g5rv ant. on Catalina Island
      > but could not because the bases that hold up the two MFJ push-up
      > poles malfunctioned. Anyway, my version has the 14 guage ladder line
      > at 34' and the radiator elements each at 51', also with 14 guage
      > stranded wire. Since the push-up poles extend to 33' there would be
      > more than a foot of ladder line on the ground due to the sag of the
      > antenna. I'm not sure if this would pose much of a problem, but this
      > antenna is quite hefty in portable use. So I think I will make
      > another version using 300 ohm tv line at a length of 29' and the
      > elements will be made of 18 guage wire. Has anyone tried this 300 ohm
      > line version?
      > Fred,
      > kg6kub

    • Gary Wilson
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 2, 2006
        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <prcradio@...> wrote:

        > One of my favorite antennas for portable operation with my FT-817,
        > FT-897 and various mil manpacks is a G5RV. I used 300ohm twinlead and
        > 22ga Teflon wire for the elements to keep things light.

        Sounds interesting. What lengths did you use for the vairous pieces
        of wire?

        73

        Gary, K2GW