Re: Yaesu auto antenna tuner for 897

  • fred t. forbush
    Message 1 of 16 , May 31, 2006

      FT897@yahoogroups.com, "bambazonke01" <jimandruth@> wrote:

      > > Garland,
      > > I too have seen the dope on the G5RV .
      > > Some authorities call for the 34'-6" to be multiplied by the
      > > velocity factor which gives a shorter length. With 450 ohm
      ladder
      > > line it supposedly gives a length of 30'-6".
      > > I shortened my 450 Ohm ladder line from the 34'-6" by 12 inches
      at
      > > time. Eventually i started to get the tuner to tune down at 3.55
      > Mhz
      > > and as I shortened the line further the tuner handled the load
      up
      > as
      > > far as 3.65mHz.
      > > At that point, other bands started to fail to tune but I got
      them
      > > back by using a choke in the line.
      > > By the way I don't use any balun between the ladder line and the
      > > coax. Do you use one?
      > > I'm not all that impressed by the G5RV anyway and may look at a
      > > different antenna altogether like maybe a 1/3 fed windom type
      where
      > > the feedpoint Z is about 300 Ohms. I don't have the length of
      > > property but I can droop the flat top ends down a bit.
      > > Other tuners I have tune the G5RV fine but I'd like the fc-30 to
      be
      > > usable.
      > > Jim VE3DDY
      > >
      > This past weekend I attempted to erect a g5rv ant. on Catalina
      Island
      > but could not because the bases that hold up the two MFJ push-up
      > poles malfunctioned. Anyway, my version has the 14 guage ladder
      line
      > at 34' and the radiator elements each at 51', also with 14 guage
      > stranded wire. Since the push-up poles extend to 33' there would
      be
      > more than a foot of ladder line on the ground due to the sag of
      the
      > antenna. I'm not sure if this would pose much of a problem, but
      this
      > antenna is quite hefty in portable use. So I think I will make
      > another version using 300 ohm tv line at a length of 29' and the
      > elements will be made of 18 guage wire. Has anyone tried this 300
      ohm
      > line version?
      > Fred,
      > kg6kub
      >
      > I use a 1:1 balun in my G5RV. 450 ohms to 50 ohms is quite a jump
      without a balun I think. I've not personally used the 300 ohm ribbon
      with the G5RV, but I've worked several stations who have and they
      report good results when running less than 1KW... seems the
      slightest SWR at power above 1KW melts the plastic insulation on the
      ribbon.... I've used several G5RV's over the past few years with
      good results.... A local ham has added 1 foot on each end of the
      G5RV for a total of 104 feet and his FC-30 tunes it very well for 80
      through 20 meters, he doesn't work 15 through 10 meters,,, for
      whatever that's worth..
      > 73
      > Garland, K5VY
      >
      > Since I plan to use the G5RV for portable operation only, I am
      limited to 50W max., so the 300 ohm tv line should be ok. I get my
      wire ant. dims. from Joe Carrs ant. books but I'm not sure if he is
      taking into account velocity factor or ideal scenario. Speaking of
      the FC-30 there is a dip switch setting that allows it to tune in rx
      as well as tx. Has anyone used this setting? I guess you just dial
      in the frequency you want and then push "tune".
      73,
      Fred
      kg6kub

      > Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Ham radio Ft-

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2006
        One of my favorite antennas for portable operation with my FT-817,
        FT-897 and various mil manpacks is a G5RV. I used 300ohm twinlead and
        22ga Teflon wire for the elements to keep things light. The 22ga wire
        and about 50ft of string wind up into plastic chalk line reels for
        quick deployment and takedown. I like to use a DK9SQ 33ft fiberglass
        mast whenever possible which gets the feedpoint up around 30ft. I
        found you can easily solder BNC connectors to the 300ohm twinlead,
        fill the inside of the BNC with 5-min Epoxy and use heat shrink with
        internal hot glue for a strain relief. This tunes 80-10m just fine
        with an LDG Z-11, LDG Z-100, LDG AT-897 and various mil radios with
        internal tuners. No balun is used or needed in my opinion.
        Mike KM6AB

        > This past weekend I attempted to erect a g5rv ant. on Catalina Island
        > but could not because the bases that hold up the two MFJ push-up
        > poles malfunctioned. Anyway, my version has the 14 guage ladder line
        > at 34' and the radiator elements each at 51', also with 14 guage
        > stranded wire. Since the push-up poles extend to 33' there would be
        > more than a foot of ladder line on the ground due to the sag of the
        > antenna. I'm not sure if this would pose much of a problem, but this
        > antenna is quite hefty in portable use. So I think I will make
        > another version using 300 ohm tv line at a length of 29' and the
        > elements will be made of 18 guage wire. Has anyone tried this 300 ohm
        > line version?
        > Fred,
        > kg6kub

      • Gary Wilson
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 2, 2006
          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <prcradio@...> wrote:

          > One of my favorite antennas for portable operation with my FT-817,
          > FT-897 and various mil manpacks is a G5RV. I used 300ohm twinlead and
          > 22ga Teflon wire for the elements to keep things light.

          Sounds interesting. What lengths did you use for the vairous pieces
          of wire?

          73

          Gary, K2GW