PTT feature

  • Björn Mohr
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2003
      I find new 'features' every day playing with my FT-897.

      PTT in the mini-din acc connector works differently from PTT in the
      microphone connector. If you connect a microphone to the modular mic
      connector and try to key the transmitter, no audio is fed from the modular
      connector.

      Good to know when doing PSK, but you have to connect your foot switch to the
      modular connctor...

      I havent seen this feature documented in the manual, but it might be in
      there.

      73 de Björn /SM0MDG
    • Woodrick, Ed
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2003
        It's one of those features inherited from the FT-817.

        ________________________________

        From: Björn Mohr [mailto:bm@...]
        Posted At: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 3:57 PM
        Posted To: FT-817
        Conversation: [FT897] PTT feature
        Subject: [FT897] PTT feature

        I find new 'features' every day playing with my FT-897.

        PTT in the mini-din acc connector works differently from PTT in the
        microphone connector. If you connect a microphone to the modular mic
        connector and try to key the transmitter, no audio is fed from the modular
        connector.

        Good to know when doing PSK, but you have to connect your foot switch to the
        modular connctor...

        I havent seen this feature documented in the manual, but it might be in
        there.

        73 de Björn /SM0MDG

      • Jim Hartzell
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2003
          Björn,
          Actually that's a good thing. It mutes the mike when you are doing APSK
          modes. When "digital" AF in and out are connected to the ACC connector (a
          must for 9600 baud), it keeps you from transmitting unwanted (bad language
          or comments that other should not hear) audio at the same time you are
          sending data.

          There is also a seperate VOX on the "digital" AF input on the rear
          connector that works great for PSK-31 no PTT/serial port needed.

          Jim
          >I find new 'features' every day playing with my FT-897.
          >
          >PTT in the mini-din acc connector works differently from PTT in the
          >microphone connector. If you connect a microphone to the modular mic
          >connector and try to key the transmitter, no audio is fed from the modular
          >connector.
          >
          >Good to know when doing PSK, but you have to connect your foot switch to
          the
          >modular connctor...
          >
          >I havent seen this feature documented in the manual, but it might be in
          >there.
          >

          >73 de Björn /SM0MDG

          http://www.nauticom.net
        • Björn Mohr
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 10, 2003
            > There is also a seperate VOX on the "digital" AF input on the
            > rear connector that works great for PSK-31 no PTT/serial port needed.
            >
            > Jim

            Jim, yes it is a good feature! :)

            I also noticed the separat vox for dig inputs. But it is always active, so
            even in SSB audio from the computer will go on the air. No problem with
            that, as long as you are aware of it. I am using it to record and play back
            signals received... I have 'Loop Recorder' running all the time with a 5
            minutes setting. Makes it easy to quickly go back to save or play back.

            The FT-897 comes with a good set of input/output audio capabilities!

            Loop Recorder is here: http://www.looprecorder.de/

            73 de Björn /SM0MDG