Re: So I'm New Here...

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1, 2006
      The batteries and charger are available for a lot less than Yaesu
      wants for them. A couple of different distributors have them on ebay.

      It depends on what you want. If you want a mobile radio that you can
      also run from a fixed point, don't bother with the batteries -- for
      that matter, don't bother with the FT-897, get the FT-857 and save a
      few bux.

      If you want something for serious disaster/portable use, you need the
      batteries (in addition to the other power options you might be
      exploring). No, you can't use the power antenna, but this isn't a
      good choice for battery ops anyhow.

      If you have a square-wave generator, run it into a battery charger
      then into a deep-cycle battery, then run off the battery through a
      power noise filter. That will knock the corners off pretty
      effectively, plus give you your backup power.

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "w4klr" <whiskeytango9@...> wrote:

      > Stan
      >
      > Thanks for the input on the batteries. What you say makes sense and
      is the route I am
      > going to most likely take. I have a 1kw generator, but I don't know
      if it produces a sine
      > wave.
      >
      > Anyhoo, thanks for the warmwelcome!
      >
      > Ryan, KB4HQX
      >
      > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "xbullworker" <lazysenior@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "w4klr" <whiskeytango9@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > I'm a no code tech, but I'm 90% ready to pass my code test and
      general
      > > > exam.
      > >
      > > > Are the internal batteries worth it, do they provide a decent
      amount
      > > > of power for a while? I just don't want to waste the money on it
      if it
      > > > isn't worthwhile. My main rasons for this rig is getting set up for
      > > > hurricane season.
      > > >
      > > > Anyhoo, just saying hi!
      > > >
      > > > Ryan, KB4HQX
      > > >

      > > Ryan
      > > Welcome to HamRadio and gud luck on the general test..
      > > I would say no the internal batteries are not worth it. At around $110
      > > a battery
      > > (for MAYBE 4 hrs operating AND $100 plus for the charger) it *seems*
      > > way to to much $$.
      > >
      > > That said , you do need battery power living in a hurricane zone. Go
      > > to Walmart and buy a couple deep charge marine batterys and a $10
      > > trickle charger. This setup would give you LOTS more opreating hours
      > > AND the ability to run more than 20 watts, which you would be limited
      > > to with the internal batteries. In these days of poor sunspot
      > > propagation, 20 watts is frequently not enuff power.
      > >
      > > If you want to really be prepared get a small gas generator too. This
      > > would also be helpfull keeping the fridge running for your beer. :>
      > >
      > > The internal batteries are only worth the money IF you need the
      > > portability they provide.
      > >
      > > 73
      > > Stan K9IUQ

    • Tommy Andersson
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 1, 2006
        Hi guys
        I´ve got an problem on my trusty 897 (non D).
        There is an MTUNE displaying that I can´t turn off.
        Will look in the manual when I find it ;-)

        Anyone who knows how to turn it off?

        73 de SM1NVV Tommy

      • Tommy Andersson
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 1, 2006
          Hi again
          It helps to read the amnual.
          age 43 solved the problem, just press V/M two times.

          Sorry to bother ;-)

          73 de SM1NVV Tommy

          _____

          I´ve got an problem on my trusty 897 (non D).
          There is an MTUNE displaying that I can´t turn off.
          Will look in the manual when I find it ;-)

          Anyone who knows how to turn it off?

          73 de SM1NVV Tommy

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          the web.

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          _____

        • David
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 1, 2006
            well my ft 897 is at Yaesu and I got the estimate for repair
            $342
            the guy said the my final was gone and seven caps

            I have yet to figure out how they went but it will be coming back with
            all the current mods for that radio.
            should be back the week after next

          • Ryan D. Merck
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 1, 2006
              Woah! Well, it could be worse, at least you aren't in a position where
              it is more cost effective to buy a new radio than it is to repair it. I
              wish you luck with it!

              Was your FT-897 was a pre-D model?

              Ryan, KB4HQX

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 1, 2006
                yes mine was a very early model serial number2L040778