RE: [FT897] POWER SHUT-DOWN DURING SCAN

  • Mark Watson
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 28, 2006
      I have not experienced that one. But it doesn't sound like a good thing at
      all..

      Mark

      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
        Hi Ken

        It's starting to sound like a watchdog circuit resetting all.

        73 Mark

        _____

        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
          You have to hold the button for quite a while to power it by the fast
          button. That long time is probably to stop false glitches. Also if noise
          entered by that route I would have though we would see the little fast icon
          flickering.

          73 Mark M0VAU

          _____

          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
            One more data point. My 897D does what sounds like the same thing
            when I turn the AF gain too far to the right. It's repeatable (does
            it all the time). The radio has been to Yaesu for warranty repair
            twice for a similar (but not exactly the same) problem. It'll
            probably be going back again before the warranty expires. I'm not
            impressed with Yaesu's tech support or repair capabilities at all.
            They are very unresponsive, provide terse, unexplained comments, and
            seem unwilling to accept responsiblilty for their product.

            Larry WB5ORN

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "timothy McFadden" <kb2rlb@...> wrote:

            > Not to sure if this is related but when I use the memory control
            knob to
            > move between stored memories the radio will quickly shut off and
            and
            > immediately come back on. It normally happens when I am moving
            from a stored
            > VHF frequency to a stored HF frequency.
            >
            > Has anyone else experienced this?
            >
            > 73
            > Tim KB2RLB
            >

            > >From: "Ultomato" <gm4aff@...>
            > >To: <FT897@yahoogroups.com>
            > >Subject: RE: [FT897] POWER SHUT-DOWN DURING SCAN
            > >Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:40:35 -0000
            > >
            > >I have also had exactly that many times. Sudden switch off and
            switch back
            > >on while tuning fast up the band. Very disconcerting! But not at
            all fatal.

            > >Stewart
            > >GM4AFF

          • Rich McCane
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
              Greetings All!

              I have been following this thread with some interest as mine has begun doing this as well. HOWEVER, it only started doing it AFTER hooking up a radio to computer interface. To the folks that are seeing this, do you have any type of interface connected? I will do more playing to see if disconnecting the interface changes anything.

              73,

              Rich K8IG

            • LEANDRO SUCET
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
                Maybe that's the problem, cause I go up and down on mine and I don't get the shut-down that you are talking about. Most of the people use the HRD software to control the unit and maybe that is the problem. I think that there are a few posts in the past that mentioned that the HRD software also cause a hum noise or something like that in the background. I know I read about that, but I can't remember exactly right now.

                I am using the interface control that is built with the WINLOG 32 logging software and I do not get that kind of issue, but if I first change frequency thru the logging software in increments of five groups at a time and let it display then I can continue without causing any errors. I just get that thru the software, but if I change it thru the radio I don't need to worry about it. I am saying this cause in my experience software is not perfect and always have some type of deficiency.

                Leandro KD5WPL 73

                SPONSORED LINKS Craft hobby<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&w4=Ft-897&c=4&s=72&.sig=MfyknlGDApUdxHoEYLCviA> Hobby and craft supply<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&w4=Ft-897&c=4&s=72&.sig=TcfImLVkqLmkpd2RDSzr0w> Ham radio<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&w4=Ft-897&c=4&s=72&.sig=iAuPtWiWFxIweNDdxmxnJw>

              • K.Greenough
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
                  Mine is not connected up to anything but the
                  psu, the mic and the aerial.
                  73 Ken g8beq
                • Meade
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
                    > Mine is not connected up to anything but the
                    > psu, the mic and the aerial.
                    > 73 Ken g8beq

                    Neither is mine, which I just purchased two weeks ago with a serial
                    number that denotes a build date of December 2005. I've tried fast-
                    tuning the dial and memory scanning, and I can't make mine flip out on
                    me. Maybe whatever's happening has been corrected in the newer ones.

                    Meade K4CMD
                  • larrywiles
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
                      Same here. No computer interface connected to mine.

                      Larry WB5ORN