Re: [FT897] MH-59 Mic locks up transmit

  • David F. Reed
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
      Michael,

      It sounds as if RF is getting back into the radio via the mike.

      I suspect searching the archives might help find a fix, but before you
      go to that trouble you may want to perform a couple of tests:

      1. If you hook the rig up to a dummy load, and key it does it still
      happen?
      2. And, in either case, does it happen if you back the power down to
      say 20 watts or less?

      Good Luck & 73 de Dave, W5SV & AAR6UE/T

      SGT Hopwood, Michael wrote:

      > I just purchased a brand new MH-59 Remote Mic, I set up the radio to
      > RMT and
      > all is well unit I transmit in or around 6 meters. When I do it locks
      > up the
      > transmit. The only way to stop transmitting is to either unplug the mic or
      > turn the radio off. I hooked up my regular MH-31 and set the radio back to
      > NOR and no problem works just fine, like it is supposed to. Is it
      > possible I
      > might have gotten a bad mic or is there something else going on with this?
      > Also, I noticed it doesn't matter what mode I put the radio in when I
      > key up
      > with the MH-59 it changes it to FM. Further investigation into the problem
      > is it will do it if my vfo a/b is in the 30 mhz range or I am trying to
      > transmit in that range. Like I said, I only have that problem with the
      > MH-59, not my MH-31. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
      > Thank
      > you.
      >

      > Michael D. Hopwood Jr.
      >
      > Sergant, US ARMY, 45K2O
      >
      > Amateur Radio - KE5EUA
      >
      > MARS - AAR6VC/T
      >
      > Just a matter of time before I get to play in the big sandbox again

      Good luck with that too.
    • dazcaz
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
        The Mh-59 and the 36 are terrible for sucking in RF.
        I can't use my 36 on HF at anything above 40 watts.

        It's about time Yaesu put it right.
        Everyone I know with a 'keypad" mic is having problems with it.

        A lot of people have the 59 on their 857 for mobile use and the
        proximity of the antenna makes it impossible to use the rig.

        I'm not normally one to shout for Yaesu to put stuff right, but in
        this case it's time they did.

        Not only do they suck in RF but they sound awful too.
        If I didn't need DTMF, my 36 would have gone when my 897 went.

        If you can, stick with the 31. It's the best fist mic you'll ever get.

        Darren
        GW7HOC MW5HOC
        daz(at)ft-817.co.uk
        http://www.mw5hoc.4t.com
      • SGT Hopwood, Michael
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
          Ok, it doesn't happen with the 31 on with the 59, it only happens above 20
          watts and I can't remember right off hand whether or not it did it with the
          dummy load hooked up or not. If I could use my 31 all the time I would but
          being in the army I use this radio a lot and having the remote mic just
          helps that much more. Thank you for your help. I will look in the archive
          today and see what I can do.

        • ka9p@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
            Micheal -
            In the meantime the other thing you might try is rearranging any "stuff"
            that's attached to the radio (if it's possible) or radio/antenna location. When I
            was operating at the beach last month, no real ground, I was able to avoid
            the problem on some bands with a resonant counterpoise, or by moving the radio a
            bit with respect to the antenna. Not the best fix but you might get lucky.
            Scott

          • Ken Bandy
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
              Greg, I'll be interested to see what you find with that antenna. I bought
              one for myself in October or November, and haven't done anything with it.
              If you have an antenna analyzer, I would be interested to know where it is
              resonant.

              Thanks.

              Ken
              KC9GLQ

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                Michael,
                I had a similar problem...but only on HF. Everyone I talked to on
                HF would say that it sounded like I had RF feeding back into the
                unit. When I used the stock mike...I had no problems. Two
                suggestions were given to me.

                1. There is a link here that may fix it if it is a matter of RF. If
                I'm wrong here, someone please correct me.
                http://www.ae7q.net/docs/public/MH-59.html

                2. Someone else I know suggested that I wrap doorbell wire (22 gauge)
                around the mike cord...Start just before the top and wrap down
                around 15 turns...very tight. The go back over making 5 or 6 passes
                or "layers" of wire. Solder both ends together. It's easiset to
                have the last "layer" start at the bottom and wrap back up to the
                top where you started. I'm probably not explaining this exactly
                correct, so if some of the "smarter" folks can jump in and add some
                explanation it may help you. If I had a digital camera, I'd attache
                a pic...but I don't. This is what I ended up doing and it worked.
                I am not getting any more complaints of "RF" in my transmission.

                Hope this helps.

                Also, let me again take the opportunity to say thanks to all those
                who have helped me out here. You have enriched my Amateur Radio
                experience, helped me learn, and kept my lack of knowledge from
                derailing my amateur communications around the world.

                Mark
                KC9AVR

                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "SGT Hopwood, Michael"
                <michael.hopwood@...> wrote:

                > Ok, it doesn't happen with the 31 on with the 59, it only happens
                above 20
                > watts and I can't remember right off hand whether or not it did it
                with the
                > dummy load hooked up or not. If I could use my 31 all the time I
                would but
                > being in the army I use this radio a lot and having the remote mic
                just
                > helps that much more. Thank you for your help. I will look in the
                archive
                > today and see what I can do.
                >

                > Michael D. Hopwood Jr.
                >
                > Sergant, US ARMY, 45K2O
                >
                > Amateur Radio - KE5EUA
                >
                > MARS - AAR6VC/T
                >
                > Just a matter of time before I get to play in the big sandbox again

              • Charles Scott
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                  Mark:
                  The link you listed has good information. In a situation where the radio
                  stays keyed or the audio becomes distorted when running higher power, but
                  does not when on a dummy load or at lower power, it's clearly a matter of
                  RF getting into PTT circuitry. That can happen either at the Mic if
                  there's any active components related to PTT there (not just a contact) or
                  at the input to the radio. In the case of most DTMF microphones, there is
                  often active PTT circuitry to key the radio in the microphone. If
                  sufficient levels of RF get into that circuitry, or any active audio
                  circuitry in the microphone, it can cause these problems.
                  There's only two ways to avoid this problem. One is to minimize the
                  level of RF in the vicinity of the radio and microphone by ensuring that
                  there is some type of "decoupling" to prevent RF from returning to the
                  radio on the outside of the transmission line and/or by moving the antenna
                  or radio such that the radio and operator aren't in the immediate field of
                  the antenna. The other is to limit the amount of RF can can be coupled
                  into the microphone or radio input, which is why the choke installed
                  where the wiring enters the microphone in the link you supplied, or by
                  similarly adding a choke or bypass capacitors at or just inside the
                  microphone connector at the radio.
                  One quick thing to try is to get a couple of the clamp-on type chokes
                  and snap one on the Mic cable at the microphone and one on the cable at
                  the radio. If that solves the problem, the modifications you indicated
                  may very well be a good solution, unless you don't mind having those
                  clamp-on chokes on there permanently. I'm not sure about the wrapping wire
                  around your mic cord, but if it 's working it's doing so because its
                  reactance somewhat decouples RF at that point on the cable--hey, whatever
                  works.

                  Chuck - N8DNX

                  On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, slarti422000 wrote:

                  > Michael,
                  > I had a similar problem...but only on HF. Everyone I talked to on
                  > HF would say that it sounded like I had RF feeding back into the
                  > unit. When I used the stock mike...I had no problems. Two
                  > suggestions were given to me.
                  >
                  > 1. There is a link here that may fix it if it is a matter of RF. If
                  > I'm wrong here, someone please correct me.
                  > http://www.ae7q.net/docs/public/MH-59.html
                  >
                  > 2. Someone else I know suggested that I wrap doorbell wire (22 gauge)
                  > around the mike cord...Start just before the top and wrap down
                  > around 15 turns...very tight. The go back over making 5 or 6 passes
                  > or "layers" of wire. Solder both ends together. It's easiset to
                  > have the last "layer" start at the bottom and wrap back up to the
                  > top where you started. I'm probably not explaining this exactly
                  > correct, so if some of the "smarter" folks can jump in and add some
                  > explanation it may help you. If I had a digital camera, I'd attache
                  > a pic...but I don't. This is what I ended up doing and it worked.
                  > I am not getting any more complaints of "RF" in my transmission.
                  >
                  > Hope this helps.
                  >
                  > Also, let me again take the opportunity to say thanks to all those
                  > who have helped me out here. You have enriched my Amateur Radio
                  > experience, helped me learn, and kept my lack of knowledge from
                  > derailing my amateur communications around the world.
                  >
                  > Mark
                  > KC9AVR
                • Greg
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                    Hello Everyone,
                    I've gotten a few inquiries about the Military Surplus
                    antenna I mentioned in my last post, so I wanted to update you all
                    with the following.
                    I just got back from the local state forest where there is a
                    nice wide open space to set this antenna up to test it out. The
                    tuner says it tuned up on every band (HF) I tried it on, and
                    tunes/transmits good up to full output of 897D on 6m, 2m, & 440. Did
                    a good job of "repeater hopping" on all three bands. There wasn't
                    any good simplex activity today to try SSB on those bands. The set
                    up is a seriously wide-band discone that can be configured
                    for "above" or below 38 MHz. I only set it up with the above 38 MHz
                    configuration, but it worked fine there. I did not transmit on HF,
                    as I have no privileges there, but was able to copy a QSO between
                    a "K9_ _ _" station and another in Guatemala on 40 m. I was also
                    able to copy WWV in Colorado on all bands. A quick scan of the
                    broadcast shortwave bands brought stations from all over the world.
                    I do not own an analyzer, so I cant say for sure exactly
                    where this thing is resonant, but it seems to work real well with
                    the 897. I need to mention that this is not a good set up for
                    Backpack Mobile use or real short term use. It is difficult to get
                    the mast set up at its full height and weighs about 30 pounds in
                    it's pack. With that said, it does seem that it would be a good
                    Field Day, EmComm, JOTA or just a long weekend camping use where
                    there would be 2 or more people available to assist with the set up.
                    If anyone is interested in more details, or a link to the
                    outfit I purchased this from, please feel free to respond 'off -
                    list" direct to the email address listed or to n1kpw@...

                    73
                    Greg
                    N1KPW
                    SE Connecticut
                  • SGT Hopwood, Michael

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "SGT Hopwood, Michael" <

                        This is the link to the specific website for that antenna, but it is
                        showing "Out of Stock" at this point. Perhaps if there are enough
                        people interested they may be able to get more????

                        http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=170520

                        Or perhaps in contacting them, you may get pointed in a direction
                        where more are available???

                        73
                        Greg
                        N1KPW
                      • Ken Bandy
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                          Thanks for the update on the antenna, Greg. Next opportunity I have, I'll
                          have to try to set mine up and see what it does! If there is interest, I'll
                          take some measurements with an analyzer and report my findings.

                          Ken
                          KC9GLQ

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 1 9:22 AM
                            i ahve smae problem with 857 ther s is aa fix but ried witha washer as torrod but not worked for em heres the link http://www.ae7q.net/doc/public/MH-59.php