MFJ Interface 5124Y and MFJ 993B

  • bobnrx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 27, 2006
      I have an MFJ 993 B automatic antenna tuner which I purchased for my 897 D,
      and it works super, even thought there is some manipulation required to lower
      the power on the 897 D, tune the antenna, then bring power back up etc.etc.

      However MFJ offers an interface # 5124 Y which is SUPPOSE to make the tune
      button on the 897 D do what it should --that is lower the power to 10 watts,
      go to the AM mode and tune the antenna then go back to whatever mode you were
      on and raise the power setting back to your original. Like the FC 30 would
      do.--- HOWEVER --

      it doesn't work -- (the 5124 Y) after sending it back to MFJ for the 2nd
      time (they sent me a replacement that they said would work) they finally found
      out that it works on the bench in some test mode --but when one of their
      engineers actually brought in his 897 D for an actual test -- the interface does
      nothing --NADA--

      MFJ is now aware of their problem and are trying to fix it -- so for now --
      5124 Y interface doesn't work on the new model 897 D with the 993 B tuner

    • heiner_rambold
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 7, 2006
        I have experienced the same problem with two of the 5124Y interfaces
        both on an FT-897D and an FT-857. The tuner gets the power through the
        interface ok but it wont go through the automatic tune procedure!
        Calling MFJ they advised me to send the interface back.
      • bobnrx@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
          I just got a new one --and it works

          They were made aware of the problem after I sent (2) Back to them --got in
          touch with one of the higher ups and did a discourse on them about selling a
          product not tested -- they had it working on the bench -but when one of the
          techs brought in his 897D it didn't work --so they reconfigured it -- tested it
          correctly on a real rig --and it works --

          Still not perfect though--meaning --the tune button works --but due to the
          897D shutting down if it see's an SWR greater than 3 -- sometime you have to
          hit the tune button twice

          If you still have a problem call Phyllis Randal at MFJ -- she will take care
          of it for you

        • Jeff Sumner
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
            I've a need for some parts for my FT897 setup, and I can't seem to
            get Yaesu to sell them to me- it's like they don't want to- they have
            now sent me the WRONG parts on more than one occasion for the same
            complaint. Does anyone have the part numbers for... Well... There's a
            story here.

            A friend dropped my FT-530 alarm clock (ahem) on my 897 which broke
            off the right two knobs on the radio. Actually, the knobs, built
            robustly, are not the problem- they are fine, but they sit on plastic
            stalks- those are broken (and I can see why- they are fitted into the
            controls with thin plastic tangs!). Does anyone know if those are
            sold separately (the plastic stalks) or what the part numbers are?
            I've spent about 100 minutes either waiting for Yaesu on hold, or
            trying to describe what I need (and so far I've been sent a couple
            surface mount resistors, IC's, and a volume pot, along with two
            knobs- NOT what I need) when all I need are the stalks on which sit
            the memory tune rotary and RIT rotary.

            Also, my ATAS-25's resonators (the aluminum poles) are broken where
            they are fragile- where the poles fit together. Anyone know a source
            for 'em? Yaesu recommended I buy another ATAS-25.

            JD
            KC4FOX
          • Alan Rabin

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
                JD - Good luck with this. I can only offer that when the same thing happened
                to my FT817 with the volume control, someone on the list told me to look at
                the service manual and make sure I had the part information before I talked
                to Yeasu, and I got the part in 2 days after a painless call to them with the
                PN. The bad new was the stalk for that control was considered part of the
                pot, and I had to replace the pot on the board, which was not a lot of fun -
                hope you don't need to go there. Good Luck, Scott

              • Mark Vaughan
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
                  Have a look back through the listings either on this group or the 857 group.

                  I am sure someone managed to acquire aluminium replacement spindles from
                  another supplier, all details were listed.

                  73's Mark M0VAU

                  _____

                  JD - Good luck with this. I can only offer that when the same thing
                  happened
                  to my FT817 with the volume control, someone on the list told me to look at

                  the service manual and make sure I had the part information before I talked

                  to Yeasu, and I got the part in 2 days after a painless call to them with
                  the
                  PN. The bad new was the stalk for that control was considered part of the
                  pot, and I had to replace the pot on the board, which was not a lot of fun -

                  hope you don't need to go there. Good Luck, Scott

                  Craft
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and
                  +craft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&w4=Ft-897&c=4&s=72&.sig=MfyknlGDApUdxHoEYLCviA>
                  hobby

                  Hobby
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w
                  2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&w4=Ft-897&c=4&s=72&.sig=TcfImLVkqLmkpd
                  2RDSzr0w> and craft supply

                  Ham
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+c
                  raft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&w4=Ft-897&c=4&s=72&.sig=iAuPtWiWFxIweNDdxmxnJw>
                  radio

                  Ft-897
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ft-897&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craf
                  t+supply&w3=Ham+radio&w4=Ft-897&c=4&s=72&.sig=_UyHjknxCCcDtl1IN-0CvA>

                  _____

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  the web.

                  _____

                • Rob
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
                    This was posted by Bruce Wilson back in 2005 regarding replacement of the memory knob:

                    "I called (714) 827-7600 (Vertex Standard) to order the part and used a credit card. When I called I didn't even have the part number, they found it for me. They were real good. I think the part ran
                    about $2.50. They mount real easy I had no problems, or course I was very careful. The radio comes apart nicely. The whole front end comes off and then you remove the control board. I got pictures of the board from an online service manual. It helped having the exploded view. They were fast getting to me too.

                    (Part number: EC12E2424404. The part is called a "Rotary Encoder")

                    "Just so you know, replacing the Clar/RIT knob is almost as easy. I did that at the same time."

                    As mentioned in a post up the thread a bit, somewhere in the archives is a discussion of replacement parts with metal shafts. One of the thoughts mentioned in the disucssion was that if something hits the front panel of the 897, it might be better to shear off the knob rather than cause possible internal damage to the PC board behind the front panel. In reality it would be hard to say how such a scenario would work out, but it does give you some pause for thought...

                    73,

                    Rob WB1AEX

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 9, 2006
                      Thank you sir, and thanks to the group for the other answers!

                      JD
                      KC4FOX