Skip to search.

Re: [FT897] What is safe max current from cigarette lighter socket ?

  • THOMAS MCGOUGH
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 30 8:14 PM
      Hi Robert,
      The maximum current the lighter wiring can handle is 15 amp in most american cars I'm not really sure if imports are different or not. But, I do not recommend using the cigarrett lighter to power a radio of any kind at all, firstly that circuit seems to be quit noisy, I have proved that by using a scope while just sitting in the driveway with the car running and secondly, it deffinetely is not rated for that kind of load.
      The only place to power a radio in mine and alot of other operators is directly to the battery. Hope I helped you make the right decision.
      73'
      Tom
      kb3ipn

      robert goodman <robert@...> wrote:
      My research implies that about the most current you can safely pull
      from the cigarette lighter socket is about 10A...does this sound right
      to everyone?

      If so, since the FT-897 pulls 22A at full transmit power, does that
      mean that I could run a little under half transmit power using the
      cigarette lighter socket for those times I am in a rent car, etc.?

      TIA,

      Robert AA5FR
      www.AA5FR.com

      Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Ham radio Ft-897

    • k9ztv
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 31 9:20 AM
        I second what Dennis just said -- NEVER from any cigarette jack. Every
        installation manual I've ever seen says the same thing. Undoubtedly
        someone will pop up and testify to the contrary, but all ham radio
        hook-ups (especially permanent ones) should go directly to the car's
        battery for several reasons, not the least of which is to take advantage
        of the filtering action of the battery itself. Behind the dash is not a
        good place to have smoldering wires that can be neither seen nor
        smelled. Replacing an $800 radio would be the least of your costs.

        I've run mobile for 30 years and the only radios I've ever plugged into
        a cigarette lighter were 1 watt handheld and a 4 watt CB, both of which
        were on 60s and 70s vintage cars bereft of today's electronics and
        computers. Auxiliary Power Outlets (not cigarette lighter sockets) on
        some SUV's are rated higher than standard cigarette jacks and you MIGHT
        get by on one of those at low RF output. But check the ratings on those
        sockets first and know exactly what your rig draws.

        73,

        Kent K9ZTV

        Dennis wrote:

        > A word to the wise.............
        >
        > DO NOT RUN A RADIO FROM A CAR CIGARETTE LIGHTER PLUG!!!!
        >
        > Dennis - N8BMB

      • Tim Kass
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 31 5:45 PM
          FYI - my ICOM 703 manual does NOT recommend using the cigarette plug, even running only 10 watts PEP from the 703. Reason, likely the spikes that are occassionally generated...

          73, Tim
          K8WBL

          kc7gf@... wrote:
          Depends on what you are doing but 10 amps is usually a safe bet. They
          usually don't run very heavy wire to the lighter socket and many times it goes
          through the ignition switch so you have lots of points for voltage drop. For
          rental car use I would put it in low power mode and try it. Especially for
          UHF/VHF use, you should have no problem. I made up an emergency coiled cord
          extension with the brown wire in it so I can use it from a cigarette lighter socket
          on reduced power. At least that way you have a quick and dirty power source
          when that's all there is and those are available on most cars/trucks. For the
          times when you want to run more power you might want to get some of those
          battery clamps and make up a heavier cable. They also make large red C clamps
          that tighten down on the battery cable with a pointed set screw. These wouldn't
          take much time to get on/off.

          Art - KC7GF
          Golden, CO

          _http;//www.kartronicsonline.com_ (http://www.kartronicsonline.com/)
          RF adapters, coax crimp connectors, base and mobile antennas, ant mounts,
          mag mounts, coaxial cable, PowerPoles, West Mtn. Radio Products, DC power cord
          and adapter cables

          Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Ham radio Ft-897

          ---------------------------------

        • w4cng
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
            Most vehicles have a fuse rated in the 15A range, will glow the
            cigarette lighter fine, however if you go looking at Cigarett Lighter
            plugs from almost any source, you will see a marking of 7-8 Amps
            maximum rating. I use the 3 outlet version from Radio Shack, cut the
            small wires off and solder #10 stranded wires to the two buss bars.
            Ground directly to the battery and fuse at 30A to the + side of the
            battery. Works great, gives you 3 8A outlets or if you have access to
            a heavy duty plug, even more. I also have a home made Anderson power
            plug assembly with 4 parallel outlets done the same way in my Ford
            Explorer. My rig is hard wired to the battery and fused at 30A.

            Steve W4CNG

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Vaughan" <mark@v...> wrote:

            > Some rate cigarette lighter sockets for a lot more current. This is
            OK if
            > your running a car vacuum, lamp, kettle etc, but your radio likes a
            good
            > clean low impedance supply which you can only get by direct
            termination with
            > the battery. The contacts in a lighter socket are very very poor,
            and the
            > vehicle manufacturers cabling is not run with rf ground currents in
            mind.

            > DO NOT RUN YOUR 857 or 897 from the lighter socket.
          • robert goodman
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
              Thanks to all for the comments and opinions!

              Robert AA5FR

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS MCGOUGH <hamtwm@v...> wrote:

              > Hi Robert,
              > The maximum current the lighter wiring can handle is 15 amp in
              most american cars I'm not really sure if imports are different or
              not. But, I do not recommend using the cigarrett lighter to power a
              radio of any kind at all, firstly that circuit seems to be quit
              noisy, I have proved that by using a scope while just sitting in the
              driveway with the car running and secondly, it deffinetely is not
              rated for that kind of load.
              > The only place to power a radio in mine and alot of other
              operators is directly to the battery. Hope I helped you make the
              right decision.
              > 73'
              > Tom
              > kb3ipn
              >
              > robert goodman <robert@a...> wrote:
              > My research implies that about the most current you can safely
              pull
              > from the cigarette lighter socket is about 10A...does this sound
              right
              > to everyone?
              >
              > If so, since the FT-897 pulls 22A at full transmit power, does
              that
              > mean that I could run a little under half transmit power using the
              > cigarette lighter socket for those times I am in a rent car, etc.?
              >
              > TIA,
              >
              > Robert AA5FR
              > www.AA5FR.com

              > Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Ham radio Ft-

              Service.

            • VA3MW - Port Credit
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                I rent allot of cars and have run full power from many lighters in SSB mode only. Not one complaint nor damage to any of my units.

                However, if your the least bit concerned, drop down to 50 watts (3 dB less power) and go from there.

                Mike VA3MW
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                  No damage as yet, give it awhile.
                  73'
                  Tom de kb3ipn

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                    >I second what Dennis just said -- NEVER from any cigarette jack. Every
                    >installation manual I've ever seen says the same thing. Undoubtedly
                    >someone will pop up and testify to the contrary, but all ham radio
                    >hook-ups (especially permanent ones) should go directly to the car's
                    >battery for several reasons, not the least of which is to take advantage
                    >of the filtering action of the battery itself. Behind the dash is not a
                    >good place to have smoldering wires that can be neither seen nor
                    >smelled.

                    I'll "third" that - while I've happily pulled 10A from a cigarette lighter
                    socket, a friend cooked the wiring loom in his car pulling less than 10A.
                    On investigation, the wiring was way too thin for 10A, even though the
                    circuit had a 10A fuse. The wiring was fixed under warranty, but the
                    dealer admitted the socket was only suitable for the intermittent load
                    of the lighter and was not an "accessory socket".

                    --
                    Andrew VK2TAN
                  • VA3MW - Port Credit
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                      This is what kills me about this group....

                      Is this the absolute perfect way to do this? No. However, it gets you on the air. If HAM radio was like this from the beginning, we'd still be using spark gap. Nike has it right.. Just Do It!

                      Yes, you might blow something up once in awhile. If you did, then you didn't make it big enough.

                      Yes, you might have an RF problem. You have to keep an eye on things. Your likely running SSB which means you'll never draw 20amps at full power for more than a few milliseconds. If the Rig starts to FM on SSB, then cut back the power.

                      I'm the first person to do it right (if you don't think so, have a look at the installation in my Murano http://portcredit.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=7 which has a fibreglass hatch back). It took me 3 days to do this. Even so, you still have problems (like the 857 deciding yesterday that it wants to keep turning on and off at 10 second intervals on it's own... likely a pinched wire).

                      Ham Radio is a technical and experimental hobby. Experiment!

                      [off soapboax]

                      Mike VA3MW

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                        Actually, I'd like to interface it with Nissan's Bus System so that the tuning data shows up in the display. I need a PIC controller with 2 serial ports to do that and then you might be able to tune from the steering while controls! ;)

                        As for a long reach, you can control the VFO, Volume, etc. with the Mic.

                        Thanks!
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                          EXACTLY MIKE, Ham radio is all about experimentation and what works for
                          someone may or may not work for another. If you want to try running your radio
                          from a cigarette lighter, do it. It might be more than adequate for your
                          particular setup or an emergency operation. It all depends on your personal
                          situation,

                          I personally like to install a relay controlled through the ignition switch
                          so that it switches the radio directly to the battery when the ignition is
                          turned on. That way the ignition doesn't have to handle all the radio current,
                          just a small amount for the relay and the relay contact handles all the heavy
                          current and turn the radio off when you leave the vehicle, But I have on
                          occasions run rigs from the cigarette lighter and other temporary hookups that
                          worked just fine.

                          Running a 100 watt rig in full power mode (20+ amps) would not be a good
                          idea on a 10 or 15 amp cigarette lighter circuit but at reduced power might work
                          OK for temporary use. Try it, see if it works, if not then you have learned
                          something.