RE: [FT897] Re: 897 and 897D Differences and what antenna?

  • Ultomato
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 5, 2005
      Thanks Darren.
      -----Original Message-----
      From: FT897@yahoogroups.com [mailto:FT897@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of
      Darren
      Sent: 05 November 2005 11:08
      To: FT897@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [FT897] Re: 897 and 897D Differences and what antenna?

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Leandro Sucet" <lsucet@c...> wrote:

      > Both radios are the same on the front panel, the diferents are
      > internal. D version has the TCXO 9, the 60M band

      The UK version of the D doesn't have 60M.
      Early D rigs can be software modded for extended TX the later ones cannot.

      Portable antenna?
      A lot of people love the buddy pole, but it's not exactly suitable for
      using on a back pack, though I have been told that some have done this :)

      My favourite (fixed) portable antenna is a 40M doublet, supported off
      a fishing pole. I also have a series of mobile whips which I screw (in
      pairs) into a dipole centre on the same pole. This is great but means
      carrying a lot of antennas if I intend to change band.
      Great for single band use though.

      Then for fun, you can't beat the slinky dipole. A bit fiddly to set up
      but great fun and they work well.

      HTH

      Darren
      GW7HOC MW5HOC
      daz(at)ft-817.co.uk
      http://www.mw5hoc.4t.com

      Service.

    • Jim Allen
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 5, 2005
        Leandro, Why is the 5 frequencies programmed in there? 73 jim KE5AMB
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 5, 2005
          Jim Allen said the following on 11/5/2005 4:57 PM:

          >Leandro, Why is the 5 frequencies programmed in there? 73 jim KE5AMB

          They put the five 60 meter channels in memory to keep us in the US on
          the straight and narrow. The FCC placed very severe restrictions on our
          use of 60 meters when they gave us the channels a couple of years ago.
          With them in memory, you don't have to worry about being on USB, or off
          frequency by a few Hertz or anything. It's all set up and ready to go.

          The little I've operated on 60, it sounded great, because everyone is
          *required* to be exactly on frequency, so you don't get into a
          roundtable where one guy is up a few (maybe hundred) Hertz, while
          another one is down a few Hertz, and everybody else is dead-on. No
          ducks. hihi

          73,

          Boyd / N5CTI
        • Leandro Sucet
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 5, 2005
            they are;

            5.332.00, 5.348.00, 5.368.00, 5.373.00, 5.405.00

            Thanks 73/ Leandro KD5WPL

          • David F. Reed
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 5, 2005
              Jim, the 5 channels are preprogrammed, because on this band, we are
              required to use channels; the other confusion is that the channels we
              are given by the FCC are "center of information" while our dials read
              (typically) carrier frequency; I suspect some radios are preset to
              display the same frequency number we are given by the FCC, and some tell
              you in the manual what to set to, to get the "correct" frequencies.

              Clear as mud?

              73 de W5SV, Dave