Re: David Clark Headsets to FT897D

  • Gary McKelvie
    Message 1 of 38 , Oct 1, 2005
      Hi to the list,

      Afaid I can't comment on the David Clark headsets but I do use the
      Heil Traveler headset single earpiece version.

      All I can say is excellant headset very comfortable, easy to use,
      reports on the the audio have been of excellant audio, far better
      than the stock mic. All you have to remember is to turn the SSB and
      FM gain down otherwise it will be distorted.

      As to being better than the Clark headsets, difficult to say but
      definately an improvement on the stock mic.
      One other thing setting the SSB offsets to suit your voice and
      operating style is also very important and also improves the audio
      transmitted. I found prior to doing that on the stock mic there was
      very little bass in my audio. Must have sounded like Donald Duck on
      Helium :)

      HTH
      Gary G7USC

    • wb1aex@hotmail.com
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 6, 2005
        Hi Bruce,

        Glad your rig is working as it should! I did not mess with the pre-driver or driver settings on any of the rigs I have checked, due to the small size of the test point pads. I believe you would have to solder leads to the test points to connect to, and it looked pretty tight in there. To be honest, after doing the exciter and final stages, all three of the rigs I checked sounded extremely clean, so I was not motivated to investigate further. Thanks for reporting your findings, it looks like things were way out of spec on yours as well. It must have sounded very gritty/dirty/distorted in sideband mode!

        Look forward to working you on the bands,

        73,

        Rob WB1AEX