Seeking Advice....

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2005
      Hello all...
      I've had a FT-100D for quite a while, and I have really enjoyed
      using the rig mobile, now I have finally settled into an apartment
      of my own and would like to get active from home. I also want to
      become active again with VHF&Above contesting. I like to compete
      contest-wise as a rover and I'm looking at the '897 as a way to
      backpack-mountain top for those contests, the '817 would probably be
      a better choice for the backpack-mountaintopping, but flea power
      isn't really for me.I also want to become more active with ARES, and
      the '897 sounds like the perfect rig for all of it. I just have some
      questions about the rig that I dont find any really clear cut
      documentation for, either from Yaesu or any other source.
      1) Can you install both batteries along with the Power Supply?
      I'm thinking it would be nice to have the Power Supply that is built
      for the rig, but that any compact switching supply might be
      sufficient.
      2) Do the batteries charge thru the rig when attached to an
      external supply, or only through the charging ports at the back?
      3) Can you operate from one battery and charge the other at the
      same time? On the same subject, can you charge batteries and operate
      from DC Supply at the same time without removing the batteries?
      4) Any one else make the change, or own the same two rigs (FT-
      100D and FT-897) have any comments on how they compare?

      Thanks to all who respond ahead of time,

      73
      Greg
      N1KPW
      SE Connecticut
    • Dean Gibson AE7Q
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2005
        1. No, but you don't want to. HRO talked me out of the FP-30 and into
        an external supply when I bought the 897D + 2 batteries, and I'm glad
        they did. Cheaper, and you can run other accessories as well if you get
        a West Mountain RigRunner or the equivalent.

        2. The latter.

        3. Yes, and yes (if you get the Yaesu CD-24, which I recommend, but
        don't get the A/C adapter for the CD-24; run the CD-24 from your
        external supply).