Re: [FT897] DSP Effectiveness

  • David Adams
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
      You can buy ADSP^2 from SGC and add it to your radio either as an external speaker with ADSP or as
      a board you mount in your radio. (No clue if there would be room inside the 897 for it--I don't
      own one yet.)

      See:
      http://www.sgcworld.com/ADSPProductPage.html

      David AA0PV

      --- Bill Powell <whp@...> wrote:

      > Well... After a few hours getting used to the 897-D I can say that
      > it's a very nice rig, that I need to do some serious work on my shack
      > 12 V DC system (it drops from 13.3 to 11.3 under the 897's load) and
      > I'm VERY dissapointed with the 897 DSP.
      >
      > Seriously!
      >
      > My pile of crap SGC-2020 ADSP that is STILL in the factory has a FAR
      > superior audio DSP, perhaps it's single best (working) feature.
      >
      > Is there anyone that has owned and compared the effectiveness of the
      > two DSPs side-by-side? Especially in "noise reduction" mode?
      >
      > I still LOVE the 897-D but will probably find a way to hack in the SGC
      > DSP module.
      >
      > Bill - WB1GOT

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Bill Powell
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2005
        Thanks John!

        Well... I got the 2020 back and it appears to have been "fixed" and
        now also has received audio intermod.
        Sigh.....

        So - the 2020 is about to be sold. Especially since I have found
        appropriate point(s) to add an SGC DSP2 board in the FT-897. Just
        need to find the space. A less expensive alternative may be the SGC
        external DSP2 speaker which may be better in the long run as the 897
        internal speaker, while adequate, won't win any awards.

        Also made up the simple OTT cable to go between the 897 and Z-100 and
        it works SWEET!

        Thanks again,
        Bill - WB1GOT

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, blkcat28@a... wrote:
        > Hi Bill,
        >
        > I got angry with SGC when I sent mine back for a mod. After
        digging, I found
        > out that they don't repair/modify radios in the order they come in.
        They
        > actually wait until they hyave several units to have the same work
        done, then
        > do them all. Depending on what you need done, you may be the last
        unit to
        > cause those to go on the bench, or the first, so you'll have to wait. I
        > thought it was bad service but there is a method to their madness.
        If you need
        > it NOW, for a trip or something, let them know. I'm pretty sure they'll
        > accomidate you. I have the Yaesus and the 2020. If everything went
        to hell in
        > a handbasket, I'd grab my 2020, manual MFJ wire tuner, a hank of
        wire and solar
        > panel and run like hell. I think their DSP is the best so far.
        Wouldn't give