Re: [FT897] BEACON GLITCH ON BATTERIES

  • K9ZTV
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2005
      Bob . . .

      "Shut-down" was the wrong term. The radio doesn't shut-down, the beacon
      shuts-down . . . i.e., fails to continue sending. The rig continues to
      operate fine with normal (manual) keying at any speed and at maximum 20
      watts out.

      I'll continue to check the batteries, but don't think that's the
      problem. (I've been wrong before).

      Thanks . . .

      Kent

      kc3vo@... wrote:

      > I wonder if the batteries are REALLY at "Full Charge"? Full charge is
      > typically 16 volts, D.C. and drops to around 14.5 volts after a short
      > time. If the
      > TRANSMIT voltage is at or below 11.5 volts, shutdown is NORMAL. (These
      > batteries REQUIRE at least 16 volts from the charger to reach FULL
      > charge) What
      > voltage readings do you get? Use BOTH the internal FT-897 display, AND
      > an
      > accurate EXTERNAL digital meter---improper CALIBRATION may cause
      > problems, so
      > checking with another meter is advised. 73, KC3VO-Bob

    • Jason 2e1evb
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
        I use a homebrew copper dual band antenna for 2 and 70, works
        extremly well on 2m the swr is up abit on 70cm, but hey thats what
        the tonna's for.
        To sum up i built my first antenna that actually works and all for
        under £10 (GBP).
        73 de jason
        2E1EVB

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Larry P Thomas" <lpthomas@k...> wrote:
        > For what it's worth, there are some designs for dual band J-poles
        that work
        > nicely with the single output port of the FT-897. Arrow sells one
        for about
        > $40 and I was given all the details by Allen Lowe of Arrow in the
        event you
        > want to make one yourself.
        >
        > Details can be found at http://www.krell.com/projects/J-
        POLE/jpole.html.
        > Very little metal work is needed for this design. The commercial
        version
        > does use a harder aluminum (6061-T6 I think) than you typically
        buy at the
        > local hardware store (2024) so the commercial unit is usually
        sturdier. The
        > design uses an interesting matching network so don't change the
        diameter of
        > the rods or their spacing if you want good SWR on both bands.
        >
        > To give an answer to your question, diplexer/duplexer, I am not
        sure there
        > is any difference. Both should be bidirectional and work either
        way.
        > Basically they are a high pass filter for the 70 cm side to block
        the 2 m
        > signal and a low pass for the 2 m side to block the 70 cm signal.
        Crossover
        > on both filters typically cross near the same frequency so common
        is not
        > effectively open and any frequency. Coils and capacitors have high
        enough
        > current and voltage ratings to work at the rated power.
        >
        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > 73s,
        > Larry P. Thomas, wa0gwa
        >
        > Imagine it/Achieve it --- Dream it/Become it
        > Larry P. Thomas, wa0gwa 1 913 244-8761
        > Krell Technologies (http://www.krell.com)
        > PO BOX 3565, OLATHE, KS 66063-3565 USA

        Behalf Of Lee
        > Jorgensen
        > Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2005 10:32 PM
        > To: FT897@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [FT897] Antenna Question ...
        >
        > Hello all ...
        >
        > I've gotten around to making a J-Pole for my FT-897 ... however, I
        have
        > a question ... I would like to make a copper cactus for both 2m
        and 70cm
        > bands. However, since I only have one 144/430 jack on the back of
        the
        > radio ... I was under the impression that I would need to use a
        diplexer
        > for the 2 antennas.
        >
        > Now this leads me to the question ... where to find a diplexer?
        I've
        > found many _DUPLEXERS_ ... however, as I read on them, they're
        mainly
        > for combining two radios to 1 antenna ... can I turn it around and
        use
        > it like I'd want to? Trying to find a _DIPLEXER_ is proving
        difficult
        > at best.
        >
        > BTW, one of the more curious components that I've found is the
        Comet
        > CF-530C ... which is designed to what I want to do (but different
        > frequencies)
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > -Lee.
        > n0wq
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Alan Biocca
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
          I was reviewing my QST magazines recently and came across an article on
          dualband J antennas. The conventional 2 meter J is resonant on 450 (odd
          harmonic) but is about 6db down due to high angle radiation lobes. The
          author found a solution to this problem with a decoupling stub. He calls it
          the DBJ-1. I'm going to try one on the 897. He appartenly now also has a
          rollup model of this same antenna that would be good for portable operation.

          Here is a URL: http://www2.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/0302038.pdf

          - Alan wb6zqz