Re: S9 Noise from my FP30 power supply

  • bambazonke01
    Message 1 of 24 , May 1, 2005
      Also check for touch lamps ie you touch the lamp to get it to turn on
      and change light levels.
      Put your rig on battery power and go to your house circuit breaker
      board and start switching circuits off till the noise quits. That way
      you willknow where in the hose the problem is.
      Report back and let us know what you find out.
      Jim VE3DDY
    • Mark Vaughan
      Message 2 of 24 , May 1, 2005
        If I am not mistaken this problem is not uncommon with the FP30 supply.

        I believe a few weeks ago there was another discussion running where many
        have had S9 noise from the FP30, the outcome was that owners had returned
        the FP30's to Yaesu for a warranty fix.

        Look at past news records and call Yaesu

        73's

        Mark M0VAU

        _____

        Message 3 of 24 , May 2, 2005
          I appreciate all the help with this problem. After trying different
          locations, different antennas etc., I have definitely found out what
          causes the problem, but I still don't know why. The noise is
          definitely caused when I connect the FP30 AC power cord. Using a
          battery for power, the noise goes from 0 to S7 or 9 when I simply
          connect the power cord. Turning the unit on has no effect on the 897,
          but still causes the same noise for the AM portable. Initially I was
          confused because when I first tried it after the Yaesu fix and still
          got noise, I tried it with the FP30 turned off (with the switch) and
          still got the noise. I didn't discover it was the cord until I tried a
          different location. Now I can turn the noise on or off simply by
          connecting the cord, whether the FP30 is powered on or off. Would a
          shielded power cord help? Maybe I should contact customer support
          again.

          Brent
          KGSPZ
        • K9ZTV
          Message 4 of 24 , May 2, 2005
            Now that's a new one!

            Kent
            K9ZTV

            Brent Foster wrote:

            > I appreciate all the help with this problem. After trying different
            > locations, different antennas etc., I have definitely found out what
            > causes the problem, but I still don't know why. The noise is
            > definitely caused when I connect the FP30 AC power cord. Using a
            > battery for power, the noise goes from 0 to S7 or 9 when I simply
            > connect the power cord. Turning the unit on has no effect on the 897,
            > but still causes the same noise for the AM portable. Initially I was
            > confused because when I first tried it after the Yaesu fix and still
            > got noise, I tried it with the FP30 turned off (with the switch) and
            > still got the noise. I didn't discover it was the cord until I tried a
            > different location. Now I can turn the noise on or off simply by
            > connecting the cord, whether the FP30 is powered on or off. Would a
            > shielded power cord help? Maybe I should contact customer support
            > again.
            >
            > Brent
            > KGSPZ

          • Mark Vaughan
            Message 5 of 24 , May 3, 2005
              I do not have an FP30, but does it have a soft on/off switch. i.e. is it a
              proper switch in line with the mains supply wires, or does the switch mode
              supply idle when switched off supplying power only to monitor a soft on/off
              switch. If the latter then that very narrow pulse width required within the
              switch mode will generate a totally different frequency spectrum to that
              when it is fully running. Screening the lead won't help since part of the
              FP30 is operational when switched off.

              If you are in the UK, or Europe I would suggest contacting Yaesu since they
              may well have missed EMC tests under these conditions, and their CE mark is
              questionable. If in the US I am unsure how your FCC laws would relate, but
              this still would appear to be a Yaesu fault.

              You might try a few ferrites on the power ac, and dc cords. Also try
              connecting the power cord to your FP30 without it connected to the radio and
              see what you get.

              73's

              Mark M0VAU

              _____

              Message 6 of 24 , May 3, 2005
                Brent,
                I would look for the noise to be outside the rig and connecting the
                cord is allowing the noise to get into the rig.
                Did you try isolating the noise by switching off various circuits in
                the house from the breaker panel?
                The noise can be caused by a light dimmer or touch lamp etc.
                The fact that Yaesu has already serviced the FP30 supply for the
                noise problem is significant. Have you tried the rig and power
                supply at someone else's house? Do you have the noise there as well??
                Jim VE3DDY

                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Brent Foster" <bdffoster@c...> wrote:
                > I appreciate all the help with this problem. After trying
                different
                > locations, different antennas etc., I have definitely found out
                what
                > causes the problem, but I still don't know why. The noise is
                > definitely caused when I connect the FP30 AC power cord. Using a
                > battery for power, the noise goes from 0 to S7 or 9 when I simply
                > connect the power cord. Turning the unit on has no effect on the
                897,
                > but still causes the same noise for the AM portable. Initially I
                was
                > confused because when I first tried it after the Yaesu fix and
                still
                > got noise, I tried it with the FP30 turned off (with the switch)
                and
                > still got the noise. I didn't discover it was the cord until I
                tried a
                > different location. Now I can turn the noise on or off simply by
                > connecting the cord, whether the FP30 is powered on or off. Would
                > shielded power cord help? Maybe I should contact customer support
                > again.
                >
                > Brent
                > KGSPZ
              • radio_ozu
                Message 7 of 24 , May 3, 2005
                  It makes sense, maybe noise comes via the AC cable, but it is not
                  produced inside the PS. My new IC7400 has a DC cable with a large,
                  sealed EMC filter with an aditional ground connection, to avoid EMC
                  interference getting into the rig, as well as to radiate. It seems this
                  DC cable is part of the CE! EU certification.

                  Try the PS with a good EMC filter, or in a "certified clean" AC
                  line.

                  I have a rural QTH, and in the morning the S-meter stays down, as I
                  forbide any source of noise at home. After noon, people start switching
                  on computers, TV, and the like, and even if they are not really close,
                  the interefernce comes via the line. A good line filter helps a lot,
                  but sadly with many open air AC lines, the noise gets to the antenna
                  too. With a signal of S-4

                  73's
                  Javier EA4CWY

                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "bambazonke01" <bambazonke@h...> wrote:
                  > Brent,
                  > I would look for the noise to be outside the rig and connecting the
                  > cord is allowing the noise to get into the rig.
                  > Did you try isolating the noise by switching off various circuits in
                  > the house from the breaker panel?
                  > The noise can be caused by a light dimmer or touch lamp etc.
                  > The fact that Yaesu has already serviced the FP30 supply for the
                  > noise problem is significant. Have you tried the rig and power
                  > supply at someone else's house? Do you have the noise there as well??
                  > Jim VE3DDY

                • bambazonke01
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 9, 2005
                    On my FP30 supply the noise was generated internally in the supply .
                    The noise exited on the power leads and power cord but got into the
                    set via the antenna connection and not through the supply lines.
                    As stated before on several occasions to this problem, I
                    installed .01 mFd caps between the +ve and -ve power supply lines and
                    also from each line to ground. (Total 3 caps)
                    I also paralleled 1mFd 35V caps across each of the large caps in the
                    output of the FP30. Watch out for polarity (total another 3 caps.)
                    I installed a short external braid between the PSU chassis and the 897
                    chassis which folds between the two chassis when it is all fitted
                    together.
                    By doing this the noise level went from S9 to zip.
                    Jim VE3DDY