Re: [FT897] Re: To buy or not to buy

  • Norm Fusaro
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2005
      Howard.
      As a new ham I believe that you are listening to way too many myths and perhaps some folks that don't know what they are talking about.
      1. The 897D or 897 sounds perfect out of the box. No need to add any extra mic or processing. However, any radio, even a 1000MP can benefit from the addition of "hi quality hi fidelity" audio accessories. There is a Enhanced SSB (ESSB) group if you care to look into that type of operating.

      2. is that the TCXO is included in the 897D so no extra purchase there.

      3. The addition of an after market IF filter will make any rig perform better. But how you intend to use it will depend on which filter, if any, you choose. My MP has the option of adding 5 additional filters.

      The newer DSP menu driven rigs like 756 pros use DSP filtering and not mechanical filters

      4. How you intend to use the rig should determine which one you buy. Personally I would not use the 897 as my main home radio. It was designed for portable ops and has a lot of versatility built into it.

      In my oipinion, the 746 pro would be a better choice for a home rig.

      5. The cost of intergrated technology has dropped so much that you will be hard pressed to find a V/U all mode mobile/portable today. Years past KNWD, Yaesu and Icom had them but not anymore.

      BTW how much CW do you think you are going to find on 2m? Unless there is a contest not much and even then not much.

      6. the 897 will cover the entire 432-440 mhz band. Antennas are a different story. On one hand in the 440 band you want vertically polarized antennas for repeater & simplex FM work. The lower end of the band is used for SSB/CW so a horizontal baem is prefered. If using for sattellites work then circularly polarized antenas are the choice.

      7. Many ops use CW while driving. I am not one but there are a good number of good CW ops out there using CW while in motion.

      What ever choice you make I hope that you have fun with it. Part of that would be to ensure using a good antenna. Again, there is no "one size fits all" in the antenna world. What type of comms do you want. DX = low angle radiators such as verticals, yagis, quads, or wire arrays. Short to medium haul = NVIS, dipoles, flat loops.

      A short word on G5RV antennas. they are designed as a 3/2 wave 20m antenna and perform great on 20m. However a resonant dipole will beat a G5RV on any other band.

      Tuners, think of thenm like the transmission in a car, it is the best way to get the most efficient transfer of power. Any rig should have some sort of antenna coupler.

      Good luck, OM. Hope to catch you on the air with your new Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, Ten Tec, etc.

      73, Norm - W3IZ

      "Howard Z." <Howard_Z@...> wrote:
      I'm like you - a new amateur and I don't have a decent radio - yet.
      I am taking my time, reading the yahoo groups, and talking with people.

      The main reason why the FT-897D is not on my buying list is:

      I read on this yahoo group how the radio transmits horribly out of the
      box - you gotta buy a different microphone - you gotta fiddle with
      settings - just so you sound intelligible to others.

      I think Yaesu completely missed the boat. If these reports are true,
      I wouldn't buy any radio from Yaesu. They don't have their priorities
      straight.

      A second reason is price versus features.
      Once you're done buying the filters and antenna tuner (and high
      precision crystal if it applies the radio) - then you are paying
      almost the same price of nicer radios with better features - like the
      Icom 746pro or the Kenwood TS2000.

      However, if you really want a small lightweight portable HF for your
      car, then choices are 897D or Icom 706mk2g. Both of which I think are
      high on price versus features - but they ARE portable - which can be
      very important for some people.

      I personally think a 2m and a cb are enough for the car. However for
      reasons I do not understand, you can not buy an all-mode VHF/UHF radio
      anymore unless you also buy full HF capabilities with it. So the 897D
      and 706mk2g are also necessary for those who want cw on 2m/70cm in the
      car - but don't try cw while driving! (I also don't like the idea
      that you can't buy a 70cm radio that covers the full FCC authorized
      freqauency range. Can't buy a 70cm antenna that covers the full FCC
      authorized frequency range. Hard to find a 70cm radio that has 50
      watts of power. But this is another discussion)

      P.S. Most people will enjoy anything they buy. I hear they are all
      good compared to radios from decades ago. Ego leads almost everyone
      to say their purchasing choice was the best choice. Thus everyone who
      owns a 897D will say they own the best for the money. Go to the
      746pro group and they purchased the best for the money. and so on...

      My 2 cents worth.
      Howard K3HNZ

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "ender_wiggin3rd" wrote:

      > Geraldo
      >
      > The good and the bad are pretty much all here:
      >
      > http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2432
      >
      > You will have to decide for yourself.
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Rob
      > > Gentlemen,
      > >
      > > Why should I buy and why should I not buy an FT-897D?
      > >
      > > All opinions -- pro or con -- are highly welcome.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Geraldo

    • Howard Z.
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2005
        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Norm Fusaro <w3iz@s...> wrote:
        > Howard.
        > As a new ham I believe that you are listening to way too many myths
        and perhaps some folks that don't know what they are talking about.
        > 1. The 897D or 897 sounds perfect out of the box. No need to add
        any extra mic or processing.

        Well, I got the myth by listening to posts on this yahoo group.
        Apparently there are members of this group who say they get reports
        that their signals are unintelligible with the stock microphone.

        However, since several of you have said the SSB XMT sounds good with
        the stock microphone, I will withdraw that comment I made about XMT
        sound quality.