RE: [FT897] Re: Keying of Amplifier!

  • Darrell Koranda
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
      I would not change the wiring in the amplifier but use a small relay between
      the 897 and the amplifier. Simple hook up of a 12 volt wall wart and a 12
      volt relay. Now if you want to spend some money the Ameritron cable (AMR
      PNP-8M) can be modified to fit by grinding 3/16 of an inch off the top.
      Cable cost $15.99 The Ameritron AMP Interface Buffer Cost $49.99 WARNING
      DO NOT USE THE POWER CORD AND JACK, WHEN USING PNP-8M Cable. Power is
      supplied by the PNP-8M cable.
      The PNP-8M has the din plug and was designed for the 890 but modifies quite
      nicely. Darrell KB4XJ
      PS Connecting power cord and jack and using PNP-8M cable causes the FT 897
      to not properly shut down! Darrell KB4XJ

      >From: "Didier Divorne" <hb9duc@...>
      >To: FT897@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [FT897] Re: Keying of Amplifier!
      >Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:17:09 -0000
      >

      >Hello Everybody,
      >
      >I will have a SB-200 in a week. Have somebody the
      >diagram for this relay box? May be can I build it ;-)
      >How is it connected to the rig and how is it
      >connected to the PA ?
      >
      >Thank a lot and sorry for my poor english
      >Didier, hb9duc
      >

      > > Good point. Indeed, I nearly bought a SB-200/220 off eBay, and was
      > > going to get one of those relay boxes for just that reason.
      > >
      > > I was operating under the assumption that Chris already knew about
      > > this...:)
      > >
      > > 73 de Pat/N5MZL
      > >

      > > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Dahlbom" <hamradio@t...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Before connecting your PA to this cabel be shure about the voltage
      > > > that is used for keying the PA.
      > > > I,m using the mini DIN plug for my SB-200, but because the amp
      > > > use high voltage for switching to tx i have an external relay.
      > > > The cable from my FT-897D is connected to an relay and that relay
      > > is
      > > > connected to my SB-200.
      > > >
      > > > Most of the "old" PA:s use high voltage for the tx relay so take
      > > care
      > > > before connecting your amp.
      > > > To be shure do as I did, allways use an extra relay to your PA.
      > > >
      > > > Regards Peter

    • DJ7QJ
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
        Halllo,
        I am using the PNP-8M cable together with the AMERITRON ARB 704B to
        connect the FT 897D with
        the AMERITRON AL1500.It works wonderful without any problems.
        vy 73
        Siegi DJ7QJ

      • Bill Barbee
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 5, 2005