41544File - FT897 Group Guidelines.txt
- Apr 1, 2014The FT897 Group averages around 320 (+/-100 one-sigma) messages
per month. Because the volume of messages is rather large, I would
like to remind everyone of a few long-standing FT897 guidelines to
follow. Most of you do so already.
1. Civility. (This is practiced well by our members!)
2. Please sign your messages with name and call sign, e.g.,
Fred - W1XYZ.
3. When replying to a posting (message), kindly delete all
unnecessary text including the trailing text. Only leave the text
from the prior message to which you are replying ... <snip> the
rest. If one desires to read the entire thread, the command [Up
Thread] at the top of the message can be used to read the entire
discussion. Remember also that a lot of members have slow
connections and some even pay connect time or characters rx/tx. This
also helps the clarity of your message.
4. When replying to a post, please decide if your comment should be
to the entire group of over 8,000 or directly to the author of the
post. When you click on "Reply," it goes to everyone. To reply
direct (simplex), you should click on the email address following the
user ID line at the top of the post. Notice that only a part is
shown for privacy. Also, please think about if what you are about to
post in reply to the group really should be to the group ... replies
like "I sure do agree with that" doesn't add much to the group. Send
thoughts like those direct to the poster please.
5. It is fine for members to post something for sale or wanted to
buy ... once per item(s). All questions and offers to buy/sell
should be made directly to the poster, not to the Group. The member
posting the FS or WTB may post that the item(s) was/were
6. Posting of commercial items for sale by manufacturers or dealers
is also fine, but should be done on an infrequent basis. The FT897
members benefit by learning of hardware, software, sales, etc. before
it appears in magazines, etc.
7. New members are all moderated until their first posting. If it
follows the guidelines, it is approved and the member is change to
unmoderated status. This list is a partially moderated list, i.e.,
only first message is moderated while later messages are monitored
after posting. If an unmoderated posting is found by the moderators
to have a problem, then the poster is contacted directly to resolve.
Actions are taken against those that chronically violate the rules.
The reason for this form of moderation is to block spammers from the
list and it has been working.
8. Do not add disclaimers to your posts that (1) restrict the ability
of other members to use the information you post, (2) claim a
copyright to your post, or (3) to claim any type of "rights" as a
consequence of another member replying to you post either directly
to you or to the group.
9. Do not add statements at the end of your posts, as part of your signature, that are political, promotional, or otherwise not related to contacting you or stating your ham associations.
Thanks to all es 73,
Barry - W4WB
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>