Re: New FT-100D owner

  • ss409ss@aol.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 1, 2001
      --- In FT100@y..., "Anthony " <aays888@y...> wrote:
      > Thanks Richy for your feedback,
      > I really like this rig and even if it only needs 2 extra strapping
      > and a thermister I do not mind as any rig manufactured these days
      are
      > not perfect.
      > I tried transmitting on 5% power which I think is 5 watts and the
      > radio cut off and when it came back on it showed a plug and socket
      > icon in the upper left corner of the LCD, I think it represents low
      > supply amperage as I am only using a 4 amp power supply that was
      for
      > my 817.
      > I know that I need a >20 amp supply but I was only experimenting
      > with low wattage.
      > Do you know what that Icon means plus I would like to do the mods
      > (extra strapping + screws myself but I better leave it for Yaesu
      here
      > in Oz.
      > 73, VK2NEW Anthony
      That Icon occurs upon startup of the FT100, kind of like an
      initialization and power icon. Your supply cant handle the rig so it
      kicks off and when the radio comes back on the icon will too..
      Regards.. Richy N2ZD
    • kemahler@cisco.com
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 1, 2001
        As for purchasing the Heil, I have a Pro-5 with the HC-4. It works
        on the rig ok but I've had several reports that the audio is
        significantly lower with the Heil than with the hand mic. I've been
        working to find some settings that work better. As for now, I use
        the hand mic most of the time.

        Kevin

        --- In FT100@y..., "Anthony " <aays888@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Group,
        > my name is Anthony VK2NEW and I am from Sydney, I just received a
        > new '1D167901' or FEB 2001 model FT-100D and have recently owned
        and
        > sold a FT-817 which is a fantastic rig for the back-packer, and
        > seeing we soon or maybe next year will start declining down the 11
        > year cycle, I made the decision to sell the 817 while I can still
        get
        > a fairly good price and purchase a 100watt rig for portable
        operating.
        > I have noticed that early manufactured 100D's had slight problems
        > with the SWR and low sensitivity due to excess heating. Can anybody
        > tell me of any known problems with the 100D's that were
        manufactured
        > after 2001 and anything else that I should know. I will be
        travelling
        > to Reno NV in November and I might pick up a Heil head-set or
        simular
        > and a AM filter for shortwave receiving.
        > Thanks in advance,
        > 73, VK2NEW Anthony
      • Anthony
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 1, 2001
          First I like to thank Richy N2ZD for his step by step instructions
          and many scanned photos on how to rectify the problems with the FT-
          100D/s. I know it has been said before but I can not understand Yaesu
          who has the BIGGEST name in Amateur Radio communications for not
          fixing the known problems with the 100 and the recent 100Ds. It would
          be no trouble what so ever for them to attach "at time of
          manufacture" a thermister to the V/UHF PA and solder and screw 2
          small metal straps to the centre rib. I can sort of understand if
          they were rushing to complete orders for a major Ham fest or pre-
          launch of a new radio, 'BUT' they have known of the SWR and fan
          trouble for 1 1/2 or 2 or maybe longer years. I have just purchased a
          new 100D which was manufactured a few months ago and it has 'NOT' had
          any of the mods done.
          73, VK2NEW Anthony
        • Kerry Whittle
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 1, 2001
            At 03:50 9/2/01 +0000, you wrote:
            >First I like to thank Richy N2ZD for his step by step instructions
            >and many scanned photos on how to rectify the problems with the FT-
            >100D/s. I know it has been said before but I can not understand Yaesu
            >who has the BIGGEST name in Amateur Radio communications for not
            >fixing the known problems with the 100 and the recent 100Ds. It would
            >be no trouble what so ever for them to attach "at time of
            >manufacture" a thermister to the V/UHF PA and solder and screw 2
            >small metal straps to the centre rib. I can sort of understand if
            >they were rushing to complete orders for a major Ham fest or pre-
            >launch of a new radio, 'BUT' they have known of the SWR and fan
            >trouble for 1 1/2 or 2 or maybe longer years. I have just purchased a
            >new 100D which was manufactured a few months ago and it has 'NOT' had
            >any of the mods done.
            > 73, VK2NEW Anthony

            I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't manufactured any FT-100/D's lately.
            They probably have them made in a big batch and then warehouse them. If
            they do it this way, they can get the cheap labor to do it in a big batch
            and then be done.

            It's the only thing that makes sense of how they are handling this. If that
            is the case, then after the sale is the only way the distribution system
            would allow them to correct the problems. Nope, I am willing to bet that
            until most of the unmodded FT-100's and D's get sold, there won't be any
            that come out with all of the mods. These low low cost electronics are
            distributed in ways that add to the low cost. The methods are also high
            risk and we are in the middle of the consequences of the high risk. Yaesu
            probably sees themselves as paying the price of doing business in
            electronics. They'll ride it out like any good investor would do and keep
            on going.

            Hey, we really are just dealing with another way to invest money. Somebody
            felt like they could use their skills to get a good return on their money
            by building radios. Beyond that it follows the rules for investing.

            There are lot more things that could probably be said on this now that I
            have opened up this Pandora's box, but I don't see a good return on my time
            to say anything more than if you look at Yaesu's position from this
            perspective, it is easy to understand why things are as they are. You might
            even be able to understand the silence. If it was to break that there were
            such problems in the rigs sitting in warehouses and they had to retrieve
            them all and fix them, they stand to lose even more on this radio.

            Here's something to think about with respect to a topic that has been
            discussed here: forcing Yaesu to admit all of the problems using the ARRL
            clout or some other news source. What good does it do? Well, here's a
            better question, what bad does it do for a manufacturer that makes radios
            for us? IT MAKES THEM LOSE MORE MONEY JEPORDISING THE MANUFACTURE OF MORE
            RADIOS LIKE THIS. That's the bottom line.

            One, and I am starting to believe, the best solution is to be kind to
            Yaesu, forgive the mistake and work with them just as much as we can to fix
            things along with them and do it how they want to. They have a plan that
            they think will cost them the least in the long and short run. Problem with
            the rig? Call or contact tech support, do what they say to do and smile and
            be happy.

            Forcing them is impolite in Japan. Why? It forces them to lose face. If we
            say nothing, then they don't have to say anything or tell a falsehood. It
            is a polite person who discovers that another made a mistake and says
            nothing as long as the other knows and is trying to fix the mistake. Why is
            this polite? Nobody loses face because everything gets cleaned up and the
            one who made the mistake is inconvenienced as little as possible.

            From what I know about Japanese culture, which is very little, this seems
            to be true. I have explained it as well as i can. Any takers?

            73,
            Kerry
          • Howard Cunningham
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 2, 2001
              Kerry

              Well said.

              I for one have a FT100 with no mods and it runs just fine. I suspect that the vast majority of FT100/D owners are not having problems and that it is a small percentage of the radios that are having problems. Of course, the ones that are having problems are the one complaining.

              And of course how many know about this forum. I had my Ft100 for over a year before I learned about this group.

              73s
              hc

              Howard Cunningham
              MACRO Systems, LLC
              3867 Plaza Drive
              Fairfax, VA 22030

              (703) 359-9211
              (703) 591-0446 (F)
              www.macrollc.com

              howardc@...
              for service: service@...

              At 03:50 9/2/01 +0000, you wrote:
> [...]

              One, and I am starting to believe, the best solution is to be kind to
              Yaesu, forgive the mistake and work with them just as much as we can to fix
              things along with them and do it how they want to. They have a plan that
              they think will cost them the least in the long and short run. Problem with
              the rig? Call or contact tech support, do what they say to do and smile and
              be happy.

              Forcing them is impolite in Japan. Why? It forces them to lose face. If we
              say nothing, then they don't have to say anything or tell a falsehood. It
              is a polite person who discovers that another made a mistake and says
              nothing as long as the other knows and is trying to fix the mistake. Why is
              this polite? Nobody loses face because everything gets cleaned up and the
              one who made the mistake is inconvenienced as little as possible.

              From what I know about Japanese culture, which is very little, this seems
              to be true. I have explained it as well as i can. Any takers?

              73,
              Kerry

              Post message: FT100@yahoogroups.com
              Subscribe: FT100-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
              FAQ on WWW: http://members.home.com/k0lee/ft100faq.html

              We are all a part of this Lets make it as good as possible.

            • Steve Schilling
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 2, 2001
                Gee whiz! You should try your luck at the lottery and split your winnings
                with all us defective FT100 owners.

                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 2, 2001
                  --- In FT100@y..., "Howard Cunningham" <howardc@m...> wrote:
                  > Kerry
                  >
                  > Well said.
                  >
                  > I for one have a FT100 with no mods and it runs just fine. I
                  suspect that the vast majority of FT100/D owners are not having
                  problems and that it is a small percentage of the radios that are
                  having problems. Of course, the ones that are having problems are
                  the one complaining.

                  > And of course how many know about this forum. I had my Ft100 for
                  over a year before I learned about this group.

                  > 73s
                  > hc
                  >
                  > Howard Cunningham
                  > MACRO Systems, LLC
                  > 3867 Plaza Drive
                  > Fairfax, VA 22030

                  Howard,

                  If you looked at the way the straps are grounded (bonded) to the
                  rib you will see that it is an "inevitable failure" (in a non modded
                  FT100 or D model), you may not be having trouble now but trust me...
                  You will..
                  The fan mod is the same deal, you can run it day and night but the
                  failure is heat related and if you use the radio faithfully on 2m and
                  440mhz without the latest firmware or thermal switch mod you run a
                  higher risk of failure than a modded one.. There is adequate air flow
                  for the casual user but there is a ratio to be considered. If one
                  talks for a minute or more then stops for one or two minutes, the
                  final is cooking to a slow death or maybe a fast one depending on the
                  quality of the part installed.. What happens is the heat sink
                  saturates and no longer cools the final. The fans are supposed to
                  remove the heat from the heat sink so it can in turn remove more heat
                  from the final, I doubt the fans can remove enough heat in seven
                  seconds..
                  If you rag chew for a minute or longer, watch the swr rise from one
                  to two bars especially after 3 or four successive cycles or RX/TX,
                  this is the final screaming bloody murder. The problem is that the
                  fans shut down by cpu command after approx 7 seconds.. Now the heat
                  sink stays hot, the next cycle now bakes the heat sink some more and
                  raises the temp even more. To the point where it will be necessary to
                  dip the FT100 in a bucket of ice water to cool it down..
                  Its a progressive heating and this reduces the life of the final..
                  If the fans were to run (theorhetically) as intended on UHF and VHF
                  you will see that they should never shut off during a heavy rag chew..
                  The heatsink simply cant dissipate the heat that the radio
                  generates on its own, plus the heat generated by the final. In its
                  current condition there is truly a point of no return without the
                  fans running on a temperature operated circuit.. Since you havent
                  experienced a failure doesnt mean it doesnt exist.. No one is crying
                  that the sky is falling, its simply preventative medicine..Regards..
                  Richy N2ZD
                • Gary Stone
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 2, 2001
                    Hi Howard,

                    Two questions - have you used your FT100 on 10 meters WITHOUT an
                    external tuner of any kind (including the ATAS)? And, have you taken a
                    look at the current poll section of this group? I asked a specific
                    question there and 50% (16 responded) have or have had the problem with
                    the SWR icon. I realize that 16 is not many people but I suspect the
                    50 % could easily hold true.

                    73 de N5PHT, Gary

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms
                    />>>>> Post message: FT100@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subscribe: FT100-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    > FAQ on WWW:
                    http://members.home.co
                    m/k0lee/ft100faq.html>
                    > We are all a part of this Lets make it as good as possible.
                    >
                    > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms
                    />>

                    <><><><><> GOD LOVES YOU THIS MUCH <><><><><>
                    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only
                    begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should
                    not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
                    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
                  • Sandor
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 2, 2001
                      --- In FT100@y..., kemahler@c... wrote:
                      > As for purchasing the Heil, I have a Pro-5 with the HC-4. It works
                      > on the rig ok but I've had several reports that the audio is
                      > significantly lower with the Heil than with the hand mic. I've
                      been
                      > working to find some settings that work better. As for now, I use
                      > the hand mic most of the time.
                      >
                      > Kevin

                      kevin,
                      I am wondering what settings you are using wiith the HC4 element? I
                      have worked DL6KAC several time now with the same element and his
                      audio has been better on the Heil then on the stock mic. I am using
                      the Proset 5 here and the MD100a8x on the bench and reserve the hand
                      mic for the mobile. I DO NOT ever turn on the processor(well except
                      when I am getting crowded on my call freq in a contest. I cant
                      imagine why people move away when I do that.). I bought the Pro SET
                      5 because I figured that I could adjust the audio out using the EQ
                      and that does work FB for me. Settings here when using the PS 5 are
                      mic gain @ 50% on a quiet band and as high as 85% on a noisy band. I
                      only use the EQ setting of 2 when calling the net on 75 mtrs on
                      Friday mornings, and rarly any other time. I love the Proset 5 and
                      the audio reports both local and DX are good , the MD 100 also does a
                      good job for me.
                      Just another guys .02 worth on the mic deal.
                      73 all and all the best
                      DE KG4FET Sandor
                    • Paul Manuel
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 2, 2001
                        Although I mostly listen on 2 meters, the occasional lengthy QSO I have
                        DOES cause the SWR meter to rise. I thought I had an antenna problem! This
                        is scary. If Yaesu doesn't fix my fans when I send it back, I will.
                        73,
                        Paul K4PDM

                        http://im.yahoo.com
                      • ss409ss@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 2, 2001
                          --- In FT100@y..., Paul Manuel <k4pdm@y...> wrote:
                          > Although I mostly listen on 2 meters, the occasional lengthy QSO I
                          have
                          > DOES cause the SWR meter to rise. I thought I had an antenna
                          problem! This
                          > is scary. If Yaesu doesn't fix my fans when I send it back, I will.
                          > 73,
                          > Paul K4PDM

                          The sole reason for the rise is heat saturation,I am glad in a way
                          that you affirmed this and I am sure others will too. Be careful
                          until those fans are tied in with a temperature compensating
                          circuit.. If you want you can remove the fan connectors, carefully
                          remove the grounds from the connector by depressing the tine that
                          holds it in and locate a ground for them, just tie them to ground
                          using a piece of wire and some common sense and have them run all of
                          the time until its fixed..
                          I tried using the one fan closest to the UHF VHF final but the
                          climb just happens later on in the cycle of rx/tx usage. The only
                          solution is to have both fans active as this little sucker generates
                          lots of heat.. I cant seem to locate the thermistor they use to latch
                          the fans on over 35c. It seems to be a difficult part to find.
                          Regards.. Richy N2ZD
                        • ss409ss@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 2, 2001
                            --- In FT100@y..., ss409ss@a... wrote:
                            > --- In FT100@y..., Paul Manuel <k4pdm@y...> wrote:
                            > > Although I mostly listen on 2 meters, the occasional lengthy QSO
                            > have
                            > > DOES cause the SWR meter to rise. I thought I had an antenna
                            > problem! This
                            > > is scary. If Yaesu doesn't fix my fans when I send it back, I
                            will.
                            > > 73,
                            > > Paul K4PDM

                            In addition, another added benefit is that the cooler the radio is
                            the better it receives. We have learned here that the RX drops off
                            when some radios get hot. A cool FT100 is a happy FT100! Hmmm.. Maybe
                            a slogan is in order.. Regards Richy N2ZD
                          • Kerry Whittle
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 2, 2001
                              At 02:43 AM 9/3/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                              >I cant seem to locate the thermistor they use to latch
                              >the fans on over 35c. It seems to be a difficult part to find.
                              >Regards.. Richy N2ZD

                              You know Richy, they used a 50C thermal switch on my radio. When it first
                              got here it still lost sensitivity after sitting and receiving on VHF for a
                              while before the fan turned on. I went to put the circuit that Hugh made in
                              and found that it didn't work. Once I pulled it back out, I found out that
                              the thermistor on it was broken. I am going to try again as soon as I get
                              the wherewithal to do it.

                              73,
                              Kerry
                            • Scott Kamm
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 2, 2001
                                Mine was on top of the final,Just put a 50 ohm,2 watt resistor across the
                                thermal switch and have both fans all of the time on low.The fans will kick
                                to medium if the heat rises and trips the thermal switch.Then when you tx the
                                fans will kick on to high speed.I sent my FT-100 for this fix the fans still
                                wouldn't kick in while on rx 2&440 when sitting idle for a long time so I did
                                the resistor jump across the switch and the radio stay nice and coooool when
                                rxing.

                                ss409ss@... wrote:

                                > --- In FT100@y..., Paul Manuel <k4pdm@y...> wrote:
                                > > Although I mostly listen on 2 meters, the occasional lengthy QSO I
                                > have
                                > > DOES cause the SWR meter to rise. I thought I had an antenna
                                > problem! This
                                > > is scary. If Yaesu doesn't fix my fans when I send it back, I will.
                                > > 73,
                                > > Paul K4PDM
                                >
                                > The sole reason for the rise is heat saturation,I am glad in a way
                                > that you affirmed this and I am sure others will too. Be careful
                                > until those fans are tied in with a temperature compensating
                                > circuit.. If you want you can remove the fan connectors, carefully
                                > remove the grounds from the connector by depressing the tine that
                                > holds it in and locate a ground for them, just tie them to ground
                                > using a piece of wire and some common sense and have them run all of
                                > the time until its fixed..
                                > I tried using the one fan closest to the UHF VHF final but the
                                > climb just happens later on in the cycle of rx/tx usage. The only
                                > solution is to have both fans active as this little sucker generates
                                > lots of heat.. I cant seem to locate the thermistor they use to latch
                                > the fans on over 35c. It seems to be a difficult part to find.
                                > Regards.. Richy N2ZD
                                >

                                > Post message: FT100@yahoogroups.com
                                > Subscribe: FT100-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                > FAQ on WWW: http://members.home.com/k0lee/ft100faq.html
                                >
                                > We are all a part of this Lets make it as good as possible.

                              • maggy_94928
                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 25, 2014
                                  Hi,
                                  I have to say that I am really impressed with this little unit. The sensitivity and clarity are quite good. A bit of a pain to manually program in all the memory channels, but not to bad. Have a LDG YT-100 on order, can't wait to try it out . If anyone has any tips I would love to hear them.

                                  John
                                  KK6FAD
                                • David Struebel
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 25, 2014
                                    John,

                                    You should check to make sure that either the factory mods have been made or were done by the previous owner.. The two most important are the SWR mod and the thermal or fan modifications that help protect the final transistors which are no longer available... Both of these issues were problems with the earlier plain FT-100 i.e. not the 100D...

                                    There is a FT-100 knowledge base and FAQ  web page that contains everything you would want to know about this great radio including these modifications,

                                    http://k0lee.com/ft100faq.php

                                    Look in the Factory Modifications section and the section on Problems with the FT-100

                                    Have fun with it, I own two.

                                    73  Dave WB2FTX

                                    On 2/26/2014 1:33 AM, maggy_94928@... wrote:

                                    Hi,
                                    I have to say that I am really impressed with this little unit. The sensitivity and clarity are quite good. A bit of a pain to manually program in all the memory channels, but not to bad. Have a LDG YT-100 on order, can't wait to try it out . If anyone has any tips I would love to hear them.

                                    John
                                    KK6FAD

                                    No virus found in this message.

                                  • maggy_94928
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 26, 2014
                                      What about this mod ? It's supposed to make the fan run slow speed on standby?

                                      "Here is how you could resolve this problem by just adding 1 51ohm 1/2watt resistor between one of the black wires of the fans and ground, for instance the chassis. "
                                    • kc6iih
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Feb 26, 2014
                                        That is an important mod.

                                        Jock KC6IIH

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Feb 26, 2014
                                          I've done that, It is easier that the factory thermal mode and works well

                                          Dave WB2FTX
                                          On 2/26/2014 9:29 PM, maggy_94928@... wrote:

                                          What about this mod ? It's supposed to make the fan run slow speed on standby?

                                          "Here is how you could resolve this problem by just adding 1 51ohm 1/2watt resistor between one of the black wires of the fans and ground, for instance the chassis. "

                                          No virus found in this message.

                                        • bob_g4ksg
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Apr 8, 2014

                                            Hi John

                                            Have just added an FT-100D to my Yaesu line up as well - it's replaced my 706 Mk2 which was the stranger in the camp. I have a spare FC-707 which I am using with it (the best cheap universal atu which has a very useful range - and even better with a balun and ground connection).

                                            73 Bob G4KSG