Re: [FT100] More fan & temp mod problems? WAS: Rx out during receive, who Knows the cure ??

  • Lee Devlin
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2001
      Kerry wrote:

      >Has anyone besides me noticed that the temperature mod from Cerritos didn't
      >fix the problem completely? I can't remember reading any reports of it.
      >Would everyone mind testing to see and let me know?

      I've made several posts about this lately and updated the FAQ section on the
      thermal mod. You can read it at:
      http://members.home.com/k0lee/thermistorpics.htm

      If your fan isn't turning on during V/U receive, you should open it up and
      see if the thermal mod is correctly installed since it sounds like you might
      be missing this mod. I noticed that on one of your recent postings that the
      part on your invoice was an OHD-50. In the picture shown on the link above,
      the part is an OHD-35M. The part that you have must trip 15 degrees C
      higher than the OHD-35M. You can test to see if it's working by using a
      hair dryer on it to make sure it trips and turns on the fans as you get it
      up to temperature.

      According to a recent posting, the latest firmware has fixed the V/U fan bug
      and should make the fan work just like it does on HF receive without this
      additional thermal switch. If you want a quick fix for your rig, just
      jumper the collector of Q3507 to ground (or short the thermal sensor) and
      see if your receive sensitivity problem goes away, since this will keep both
      fans on all the time. I've noticed that in the summer the fans stay on all
      the time after a short warm up period on V/U receive anyway.

      73,
      Lee Devlin, K0LEE
      Greeley, CO Visit the FT100 FAQ at:
      http://members.home.com/k0lee/ft100faq.html
    • werhr@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2001
        Having fell in love with my VX-5 and 817 I tried to purchase a
        FT100D. After going thru 3 new ones I could not get one to work
        correctly. Why? Extream heat, fans not comming on, receiver goes deaf
        after 10 minutes and bad oscillations in commercial FM band. Yaesus
        responce! Send it in. I told them these were new in box radios and
        they had bad production problems. Only way to resolve the problems
        was to purchase a Icom 706M11G. It worked just fine. Yaesu needs to
        trouble shoot their internal problems. When people work very hard to
        purchase their product (Yeasu)a better responce than "Send it in"
        needs to be made.

        Frank

        W9LVC

      • Kerry Whittle
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2001
          At 02:14 7/1/01, you wrote:
          >I've made several posts about this lately and updated the FAQ section on the
          >thermal mod. You can read it at:
          >http://members.home.com/k0lee/thermistorpics.htm

          Lee,

          I went to this web page and I can't see the pics. After the pics load to
          what looks to me like half way, they go black and that's it, no more
          picture. I tried the mirror and got the same thing. As a matter of fact,
          just to make sure I had done all I could right now, I cleared all of my
          cache with Netscape 6 and tried again. Same thing.

          So I would love to use your reference, but it fails to load properly for
          me. Could you send me the page and pics directly via email? Not just the
          link, but the actual picture files and html?

          73,
          Kerry
        • Kerry Whittle
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2001
            At 02:14 7/1/01, you wrote:
            >Kerry wrote:
            >
            > >Has anyone besides me noticed that the temperature mod from Cerritos didn't
            > >fix the problem completely? I can't remember reading any reports of it.
            > >Would everyone mind testing to see and let me know?
            >
            >I've made several posts about this lately and updated the FAQ section on the
            >thermal mod. You can read it at:
            >http://members.home.com/k0lee/thermistorpics.htm
            >
            >If your fan isn't turning on during V/U receive, you should open it up and
            >see if the thermal mod is correctly installed since it sounds like you might
            >be missing this mod. I noticed that on one of your recent postings that the
            >part on your invoice was an OHD-50. In the picture shown on the link above,
            >the part is an OHD-35M. The part that you have must trip 15 degrees C
            >higher than the OHD-35M. You can test to see if it's working by using a
            >hair dryer on it to make sure it trips and turns on the fans as you get it
            >up to temperature.

            I'll see if I can do that.

            >According to a recent posting, the latest firmware has fixed the V/U fan bug
            >and should make the fan work just like it does on HF receive without this
            >additional thermal switch. If you want a quick fix for your rig, just
            >jumper the collector of Q3507 to ground (or short the thermal sensor) and
            >see if your receive sensitivity problem goes away, since this will keep both
            >fans on all the time. I've noticed that in the summer the fans stay on all
            >the time after a short warm up period on V/U receive anyway.

            So why can't they just do a firmware update on mine? Why can't they do a
            firmware update to fix CAT control? GRRRRR!

            I know that my cold receive sensitivity is OK. When I turn the radio on it
            is just fine and the sensitivity falls off as the rig heats up. Once the
            rig has been sitting in receive for a while without the fans being on and
            it has heated up nicely it has poor receive. Of course that's when the fans
            don't turn on and everything goes to pot on 2m. I really do use 2m and 70cm
            alot and it stresses me to not have them work properly.

            I guess I can jumper the transistor. I would like to see what it looks like
            in one of those nice digital pics before I go digging in there though. I
            guess I'll have to wait until you either fix the web page or send me the
            info directly.

            My rig is sitting in here in the shack right now. I'll never take it
            outside in the car until it works correctly in here.

            73,
            Kerry