ATAS-100 Purchase ?

  • James Pope
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2000
      I have owned a FT-100 now for about six months, and have been using a
      hustler mast with four resonators on it for the antenna system.

      I am thinking about buying the ATAS-100 for installation on my 1986
      Dodge Ram Truck. I have noticed a few e-mails concerning difficulty
      with this antenna.

      Could some of you with expierence with this setup please give me your
      thought and advice on this antenna. Good points, bad points, what to
      make sure is done during the istallation to avoid problems.

      I plan to mount the antenna on the hood as I have an metal camper on
      back and I am afriad of reflection, been there before. Also I have
      noticed that the specs say it will not tune obn 17 meters but I have
      read someones post that says it does, does anyone know.

      Also if I run only the ATAS-100 and still want to operate on 2 meters
      will I need a duplexer or not?

      Thanks in advance
      James - KC0DND
    • Lee Devlin
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2000
        I have the ATAS100 installed on my Dodge Durango on the hood and it works
        fine. The only problem is that the hood lip is somewhat flexible and I can
        see it move around in the wind, particularly when I'm driving at highway
        speeds. I suppose it does this to some extent when mounted on the truck
        lip, but you know what they say, out of sight, out of mind.
        You can see it at:
        http://members.home.net/k0lee/durango.html

        I have no difficulty tuning on 17M. There is just no guarantee it will work
        on the WARC bands. I've worked many European and JA stations no problem
        with this mobile setup, mostly on 10 and 12M. If you want to operate on 2M
        or 70cm, you'll need to either use a duplexer or a separate dual band
        antenna for those bands. I've done it both ways and haven't noticed that
        one way is significantly better than the other.

        73,
        Lee Devlin, K0LEE
        Greeley, CO Visit the FT100 FAQ at:
        http://members.home.com/k0lee/ft100faq
        > I have owned a FT-100 now for about six months, and have been using a
        > hustler mast with four resonators on it for the antenna system.
        >
        > I am thinking about buying the ATAS-100 for installation on my 1986
        > Dodge Ram Truck. I have noticed a few e-mails concerning difficulty
        > with this antenna.
        >
        > Could some of you with expierence with this setup please give me your
        > thought and advice on this antenna. Good points, bad points, what to
        > make sure is done during the istallation to avoid problems.
        >
        > I plan to mount the antenna on the hood as I have an metal camper on
        > back and I am afriad of reflection, been there before. Also I have
        > noticed that the specs say it will not tune obn 17 meters but I have
        > read someones post that says it does, does anyone know.
        >
        > Also if I run only the ATAS-100 and still want to operate on 2 meters
        > will I need a duplexer or not?
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        > James - KC0DND
        >

        > We are all a part of this Lets make it as good as possible.

      • Glenn Cummings
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2000
          I added a coil of coax (about 30 feet) under my seat to the
          basic magmount coax. This has solved my tuning problems on
          both 10 and 40 meters and everything in between. The
          magmount has a ground to the pickup box.

          I have a separate Larsen 2/70 for the VHF/UHF side and like
          being able to switch from HF to the repeaters and back
          without retuning the 100.

          KG7IL, Glenn in Renton, Washington

        • pete.g4xnr@virgin.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 24, 2000
            Hi All, I purchased the FT100 about 4 weeks ago, put the anttena on a
            boot mount and had lots of trouble with Hi SWR, moved the mount on to
            a solid fixing point made for a roof rack and hey presto no more
            problems..(Volvo S70)

            Last week I bought the ATAS-100 put it on this same mount and it
            works GREAT all bands from 6 to 40Mts no problems.. it seems all you
            need is a GOOD mounting point with a proper earth connection, since
            doing this I have had no problems at all. Get rid on your boot
            mounts drill a hole if you need to and you will be rewarded with a
            trouble free installation.

            A bit sick of all the knocking of this setup it seems like you all
            create the problems for your-selves Hi Hi..

            Cheers 73's

            Pete G4XNR