RE: [FT100] "The Universal QSYer"

  • Eric van de Weyer
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hi Michael,

      I have dealt with John a couple of years ago when I got my QSYer and found
      him VERY good to deal with. I had a problem with my one as when I first
      tested it on my FT100D it worked OK but when I then installed it all into
      the case it would no longer work. I actually suspected that I had somehow
      damaged the interface in the radio as, when I tested it with a friend's 817
      it worked perfectly and also when I tried it with a 706 (for which it was
      originally designed) it also worked fine. I emailed John about it and he
      immediately emailed me back that there was a small problem with some of the
      programming of the early ones and he would send me a replacement chip free
      of charge. I subsequently received the chip in the mail, plugged it in and
      everything worked perfectly from then on to this day.

      I suggest that you have a good read of the instructions for the unit as you
      will probably find the problem that way.

      I expect that John is probably just away or has a problem with his emails at
      the moment.

      I am, in fact, about to order another QSYer as I have just purchased a
      second 100D.

      73..Eric VK2VE

      _____

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2005
        What the heck is the "attitude" that is being conveyed here?
        This fellow bought a product and feels that customer support is part of
        the package.
        John Hansen doesn't state whether support is forth coming or not but it
        is reasonable to think that he could at least answer his email and tell
        the buyer that the kit doesn't come with support.
        The lack of communication is an issue and I would do the same thing if I
        had spent $65 and had a potenially defective product that the
        manufacturer wouldn't even discuss this with me.
        Of course, he might be out of town.
        Bob
        KB1FRW

        Dave Horsfall wrote:

        >On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Michael L. Otis wrote:
        >

        >>In the last week or so there was some descussion about programing freq.
        >>into memory. I purchased "The Universal QSYer" kit from John Hansen,
        >>W2FS. When I received it there was only one page of instruction in the
        >>box, so ok I went to their site and downloaded the assembly instruction.
        >>During assembly I made the test that were required and the unit passed
        >>the tests but when I tried to use it on my ft-100 it didn't work. I
        >>emailed Mr. Hansen a bunch of times asking for help and he never
        >>answered my emails. I sent him one more email stating that if he didn't
        >>contact me I was going to go through paypal and request a refund. I
        >>sent that email on the 18th of this month and still no response. I
        >>don't know what other people have expenenced while doing business with
        >>Mr. Hansen but I would be careful. I just thought everyone should know
        >>what to expect if you do business with them.
        >>

        >I've had no problem whatsoever in dealing with him, and with an attitude
        >like that I'd be surprised if anyone on this list is going to help you
        >now.
        >
        >Yes, there are a couple of gotchas. No, I'm not going to tell you, but
        >someone may take pity on you...
        >
        >-- Dave
        >

        >Post message: FT100@yahoogroups.com
        >Subscribe: FT100-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >FAQ on WWW: http://www.k0lee.com/ft100faq.html
        >
        >We are all a part of this Lets make it as good as possible.
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John Hansen
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2005
          Hi folks:

          This is the first I've heard of this. I have not received any emails
          from Michael and would certainly have responded to them if I had. I
          don't subscribe to this group (I don't acutally own an FT-100 myself),
          but someone forwarded this to me. It is true that I've been out of
          town off and on for the last few weeks, but I've been reading my email
          every day and been responding to it throughout this period. Most of the
          folks who have FT-100's who initially have problems with the keypad find
          that it is because the CAT baud rate of the FT-100 is 4800 and they
          haven't reset the baud rate of the keypad. To set the keypad baud rate
          to 4800 enter:

          * * 4 8 0

          If this doesn't work, please contact me at john@.... If for some
          reason this doesn't work, call me at 716-679-0034. I have a policy
          that if you build one of my kits and you find that you have a problem
          with it, you can send it back it back to me and I will fix it for free
          regardless of whether it is a construction error or related to something
          else. I'm not sure what else I can do, but if you have a problem,
          please contact me by email or by phone. In my view, customer support IS
          part of the package.

          BTW, I'm not suggesting that any of this is Michael's fault... there has
          clearly been an email problem in that I've not received any
          communication from him. I certainly can understand his frustration
          since he obviously thinks he has contacted me multiple times, though I
          have not received any of his emails. Let's put this aside and get the
          keypad problem fixed!

          John Hansen, W2FS
          Coastal ChipWorks
          john@...

          Bob Allen wrote:

          > What the heck is the "attitude" that is being conveyed here?
          > This fellow bought a product and feels that customer support is part
          > of the package.
          > John Hansen doesn't state whether support is forth coming or not but
          > it is reasonable to think that he could at least answer his email and
          > tell the buyer that the kit doesn't come with support.
          > The lack of communication is an issue and I would do the same thing if
          > I had spent $65 and had a potenially defective product that the
          > manufacturer wouldn't even discuss this with me.
          > Of course, he might be out of town.
          > Bob
          > KB1FRW
          >
          > Dave Horsfall wrote:
          >
          >>On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Michael L. Otis wrote:
          >>

          >>>In the last week or so there was some descussion about programing freq.
          >>>into memory. I purchased "The Universal QSYer" kit from John Hansen,
          >>>W2FS. When I received it there was only one page of instruction in the
          >>>box, so ok I went to their site and downloaded the assembly instruction.
          >>>During assembly I made the test that were required and the unit passed
          >>>the tests but when I tried to use it on my ft-100 it didn't work. I
          >>>emailed Mr. Hansen a bunch of times asking for help and he never
          >>>answered my emails. I sent him one more email stating that if he didn't
          >>>contact me I was going to go through paypal and request a refund. I
          >>>sent that email on the 18th of this month and still no response. I
          >>>don't know what other people have expenenced while doing business with
          >>>Mr. Hansen but I would be careful. I just thought everyone should know
          >>>what to expect if you do business with them.
          >>>

          >>I've had no problem whatsoever in dealing with him, and with an attitude
          >>like that I'd be surprised if anyone on this list is going to help you
          >>now.
          >>
          >>Yes, there are a couple of gotchas. No, I'm not going to tell you, but
          >>someone may take pity on you...
          >>
          >>-- Dave
          >>

          >>Post message: FT100@yahoogroups.com
          >>Subscribe: FT100-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >>FAQ on WWW: http://www.k0lee.com/ft100faq.html
          >>
          >>We are all a part of this Lets make it as good as possible.
          >>Yahoo! Groups Links

        • KI6LO
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2005
            --- In FT100@yahoogroups.com, John Hansen <john@h...> wrote:
            > have not received any of his emails. Let's put this aside and get
            the keypad problem fixed!

            > John Hansen, W2FS
            > Coastal ChipWorks
            > john@h...

            John,

            Bravo and Kudos on your excellent response. Look like your approach to
            customer support issues is VERY professional and honest. I like that. I
            will have to look into your products to see if it is something I need.

            73

            Gene KI6LO
          • Claude Duval
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2005
              Hello: Did you try to hook up the QSY'er to the
              correct cable on the FT-100? It worked, when I did
              that! Anybody can make a mistake, & blame it on the
              QSy'er! de Claude AE6FI

              http://mail.yahoo.com