RE: [FT100] ATAS 100

  • Stephen C. Finch
    Message 1 of 90 , Oct 1, 2004
      One quick thought -- do the repeaters have a tone access? Possible you need
      to activate the CTCSS for the repeaters you are attempting to work.

      Steve

      Message 90 of 90 , Feb 1, 2011
        --- In FT100@yahoogroups.com, Glen Farough <gfarough@...> wrote:

        > *** Replace the ATAS-100 whip 35 1/2 inch fellow with a 49 inch whip.
        > Again you will loose 6m because it can not do 56 inch 1/4 wave with base
        > length shorted and a 49 inch whip.  It only can with the 35 12  inch whip
        > Again calibration on 6m and away you go with the 35 1/2 supplied whip

        Be careful with changing the whip length on the ATAS100. I have never opened a 120, but on the 100 the internal coil has different turn pitches. The antenna is optimized for 40, 20, 15, and 10 and with the standard whip length, has wider pitch at those sweet spots to make tuning easier and finer. If you change the whip length, you may move those band spots out of those areas. I have used Larson whips as purchased (a few inches longer) with no ill effects.

        That being said, it will tune fine on 6, 12, 17, and 30, but you will notice the tune points have a much sharper dip, again, due to the pitch.

        The coil looks like this:

        40 20 15 10

        Bill
        W1PA