Re: FT100D, Tarheel Antenna, Tuner/Controller

  • ars902
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1 8:54 PM
      Hello Glen, I have the model 200 mounted on my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
      just inside the bed, near the tailgate, on the drivers side. This is
      so I can take off the whip and get into the garage at home. I use the
      manual turns counter controller and spent a few hours setting things
      up and recording the number of turns for a bunch of frequencies. It
      really works great. I would recommend both pieces anytime. I have
      been using mine for about a year now, and even when going off road it
      has worked very well. Bob and his wife are really super people. Hope
      you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Adam

      --- In FT100@yahoogroups.com, "kb1dni" <kb1dni@c...> wrote:
      > I wondered if anyone is using a Tarheel Mobile Antenna? If so what
      > type of tuner/controller are you using? I am considering buying
      one
      > of the Tarheel antennas and I am looking for feedback. It would be
      > nice to have a rig interface that was automatic and compatible with
      > the FT100D on all bands not just 2-40 like the ATAS antenna.
      >
      > Thanks for your commnents.
      >
      > Glen
      > KB1DNI
    • John Shalamskas
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 6 12:55 PM
        I was working a couple of ZLs on 40 meters last week, and listened to a
        fellow in Virginia (near Washington DC) break in and work one of them
        while mobile-in-motion on the interstate. He was in a pickup truck and
        used a tarheel antenna. Most impressive.

        On the down side, as soon as he exited the freeway, his signal dropped
        quite a bit. Nice elevated roadway with lots of rebar helps the
        efficiency of those short vertical antennas...

        John KJ9U
      • Ron Young
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 6 2:49 PM
          Interesting comment. I wonder if it is really the rebar or just the fact
          that most interstates ate higher than surrounding land and trees. I run
          mobile CW daily with a home brew screwdriver antenna and I do work the
          ZL's on 40 in the mornings but my commute is on city streets. I don't
          have trouble being heard but the QRN along the roadway can sure mess up
          a DX contact if I enter a noisy area about the time the DX calls me. I
          have noticed blocked signals while driving in the mountains.

          Ron W8RJL/M Virginia Beach, VA

          I was working a couple of ZLs on 40 meters last week, and listened to a
          fellow in Virginia (near Washington DC) break in and work one of them
          while mobile-in-motion on the interstate. He was in a pickup truck and
          used a tarheel antenna. Most impressive.

          On the down side, as soon as he exited the freeway, his signal dropped
          quite a bit. Nice elevated roadway with lots of rebar helps the
          efficiency of those short vertical antennas...

          John KJ9U

          Post message: FT100@yahoogroups.com
          Subscribe: FT100-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          FAQ on WWW: http://www.k0lee.com/ft100faq.html

          We are all a part of this Lets make it as good as possible.
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • The Simpsons
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 6 3:55 PM
            Conditions on 40 here have been variable but I have worked into Belgium on
            40 at 1730hrs (0530 UTC) while mobile. I use an antenna similar to the
            Hamstick mounted on the rear mounted spare wheel on my 1996 Isuzu Trooper.
            Got 5x5 from him and he was 5x7 with me. I was in a mountainous region with
            no noise. My vehicle is diesel powered and is very quiet as well. The only
            time I notice any rapid change in signal level is while crossing a river or
            driving beside one. This usually improves signals by at least 1 s point. For
            me, signals into Europe from here in ZL at this time on 40 are usually very
            good.

            Grant, ZL2BK.

          • ajsoenke@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 12 10:18 AM
              Reading all this sure brings back fond memories of 40+ years of mobiling.
              Most memorable mobile DX: 1963 (sunspots at bottom) location North east of
              Las Vegas NV. Worked Wake Island around 5 am while driving home from school in
              Golden CO. DX contact was actually a 2 hour ragchew, from Utah border to LV
              (Yes it took 2 hours back then). Rig: Gonset Commander 25 W AM into a Slim Jim
              Whip ant. on a '47 willys wagon.
              Best achievement on Mobile: 1980 Hiway 101 outside Salinas, CA 3pm on 80
              meters to KL7. We chatted until San Jose was in sight. Yaesu FT901DM 100W SSB into
              a Webster Bandspanner, on a '64 Ford Fairlane.
              Current rig - FT100 and ATAS 120 in a Z71 pickup, No complaints.
              Biggest similarity - the antennas all base loaded tunable whip mobiles.
              Biggest difference: size to power ratio of rigs - I could never get the older
              rigs into the Chevy these days. Noise from vehicle - engine/ignition, etc so
              much better now it's undescribable.
              Thanks for the space guys - keep trying they are there!